Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Oil bearing clearance high WHP

Old 02-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I think you'll do fine with the .96 a/r. I have a 7175 .96 for my build (although this car's primary goal is top end "closed course" roll on machine, not really midrange). The Rev up cams are pretty good, and one of our members made power all the way to 7500 with a gt40r with oem rev up cams (in a de).
I'm pretty positive you can make 600whp with the rev up heads. DE heads stock can make up to 700whp (on higher boost levels), so with the more lift and duration, it shouldn't be an issue.
I'm not entirely sure you'd make 600whp on 22psi, might be a few psi higher, but I'm sure your combined setup could make it.
Honestly psi doesn't mean that much... Only if your wastegate is struggling with creep, would I be worried about boost levels. I've only read about crank case pressure problems on high boost levels with our cars, and that is something you can fix when/IF it happens.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by konrad
You think if they went up with boost to lets say 20-22 Psi it could make 600whp with no head work stock cams? With the .96 housing
There are many factors at play, and you can't just say...."well, I will just up to boost" to get to the power goal.

With the .96 a/r housing though you should be able to get to 600 on pump if you push it a bit.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 PM
konrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx guys for the response and advice,
Old 03-04-2012, 06:52 PM
konrad

Ok guys I picked up my block,crank,rods,pistons from the machine shop.
I had him balance the rotating assembly , bore,hone, polish crank journal and measure crank and block.

Now he only measured the crank for me and gave me an average number for rod and main journals. He told me to order .001 extra clearance bearings.

My question to you is should I measure the rod and block with a boar gauge or does the size not matter? and I should just follow the machine shop and order the extra clearance bearings.

Here are the specks he gave me :
Main journals 2.0461
Rod journals 2.3611

Also he told me the journal specks are:
main 2.0455 to 2.0463
rod 2.3603 to 2.3612

so I'm right at the highest journals as per FSM. I still have to double check this. But at this point I don't think there is any other option as far as bearings besides standard and extra clearance.

Also I was considering the ACL CL1 with the calico coating bearings but that will give me an even smaller clearance
Old 03-04-2012, 07:28 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the proper way to do it is to measure each bearing surface on the crank with mics and record them. then use a dial bore guage to measure the journals subtract crank from journals and then subtract thickness of bearings to get your clearance. if you want smaller you can mix standard size with oversized to get .0005 clearance its a common practice. (as in one half of the bearing shell from each.)
Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 AM
konrad

Don't the # s on the block give you exact measurements of the main bearing saddles?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:49 AM
jerryd87

no not even close, it gives you a range but it can be wrong and probably is. going off that is as accurate as guessing and going to lead to spun bearings
Old 03-06-2012, 10:05 AM
konrad

Originally Posted by jerryd87
no not even close, it gives you a range but it can be wrong and probably is. going off that is as accurate as guessing and going to lead to spun bearings
Ok just asking ,
Old 04-14-2012, 11:44 AM
PhoenixBazoli

bump, nice NA build, hope I can do a similar build someday since I hate FI x)
what feed are those rc injectors?
and what rev limit have you settled on?
Old 04-14-2012, 11:50 AM
konrad

Originally Posted by PhoenixBazoli
bump, nice NA build, hope I can do a similar build someday since I hate FI x)
what feed are those rc injectors?
and what rev limit have you settled on?
I'm doing low compression FI build, Rev limiter will be 8K and I got tomei272 cams now. Going all out to see how much power I cam make on pump gas. Injectors are Low Impedance
Old 04-16-2012, 08:44 AM
PhoenixBazoli

oh, sorry, I feel stupid, I was supposed to post this down another thread
I feel terrible my friend >.<

I see, nice build, are you going to stroke the engine?
I've heard that a 272 cams are more proper with either a high compression or a stroked crankshaft is that correct?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:35 AM
jerryd87

oh, sorry, I feel stupid, I was supposed to post this down another thread
I feel terrible my friend >.<

I see, nice build, are you going to stroke the engine?
I've heard that a 272 cams are more proper with either a high compression or a stroked crankshaft is that correct?
Completely false the cam duration is just where the rpm band is going to be. Larger cams like 272 promote high rpm power. Really the best way to describe it ive ever heard is a cam dosnt make any power it just moves the rpm range around. It just happens its easier to make more power at high rpms. Low lift low duration promote less airfow but more velocity making for a low rpm torque engine. But at high rpms it will starve, vs high duration high lift has the ability to flow lots of air up top but lacks the velocity to make good low end torque via VE. Its always a tradeoff with cams.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:20 AM
PhoenixBazoli

so I need bigger cams when I set the rev limiter on higher rpm
isn't there a way to compensate the lack of low end torque?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:49 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya nitrous, or dont drive at low rpms
Old 04-17-2012, 04:09 PM
jerryd87

depending on what rpm you might need new springs and retainers also
Old 04-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

depending on what rpm you might need new springs and retainers also
Or even what lift/duration. The cam manufacturer should recommend what to use. Don't use anything else, upgrading valve springs without the right cams can break cams.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:47 PM
ace32x

side note i have a set of HR cams im going to let go cheap that are a decent upgrade in size from DE cams
Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 AM
PhoenixBazoli

I thought a higher compression and a stroked crank would give me a good low end torque , okay what if I used an over sized valves with smaller cams, won't it act like a bigger cam?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 AM
jerryd87

higher compression will, but your talking a couple %, even going with like 14.0:1 compression and non-oxygenated race gas your only looking at about 3-3.5% max increase and its across the entire rpm band not just low end, most of your power will come from more timing. same for a stroker it will give more power across the rpm band not just low down. bigger valves with smaller cams is going to have the same effect. your increasing max airflow but trading that airflow for velocity and thus hurting low rpm power and right shifting the power band. based on what what everyone says about these heads(i cant really find a flow chart though =/) i highly discourage this. if you put in bigger valves but dont put in some better cams suited to higher rpm your going to drop your power until around the very end of the power band and wont see **** till probably 4k+ mayby even later from the lost velocity.

bottom line is low end torque comes from displacement, or a positive displacement blower, even nitrous your not supposed to hit till 3k so thats more of middle range now low end. want more torque go with a v8 not sure why you would hate FI, theres a reason it exists it works and is the most reasonable form of adding power. NA is retarded expensive for not even close the gains. and nitrous might be a cheaper initial investment but its still kinda pricey for a well done set up, and its not so much cheaper after awhile, i know i was paying about 6 bucks a pound a few years ago when i ran nitrous in my camaro, i imagine its quite a bit more now.
I thought a higher compression and a stroked crank would give me a good low end torque , okay what if I used an over sized valves with smaller cams, won't it act like a bigger cam?

Last edited by jerryd87; 04-18-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:33 PM
PhoenixBazoli

higher compression will, but your talking a couple %, even going with like 14.0:1 compression and non-oxygenated race gas your only looking at about 3-3.5% max increase and its across the entire rpm band not just low end, most of your power will come from more timing. same for a stroker it will give more power across the rpm band not just low down. bigger valves with smaller cams is going to have the same effect. your increasing max airflow but trading that airflow for velocity and thus hurting low rpm power and right shifting the power band. based on what what everyone says about these heads(i cant really find a flow chart though =/) i highly discourage this. if you put in bigger valves but dont put in some better cams suited to higher rpm your going to drop your power until around the very end of the power band and wont see **** till probably 4k+ mayby even later from the lost velocity.

bottom line is low end torque comes from displacement, or a positive displacement blower, even nitrous your not supposed to hit till 3k so thats more of middle range now low end. want more torque go with a v8 not sure why you would hate FI, theres a reason it exists it works and is the most reasonable form of adding power. NA is retarded expensive for not even close the gains. and nitrous might be a cheaper initial investment but its still kinda pricey for a well done set up, and its not so much cheaper after awhile, i know i was paying about 6 bucks a pound a few years ago when i ran nitrous in my camaro, i imagine its quite a bit more now.
oh, I meant a 11.0:0 by higher compression >.<, and I just wanna see how
far I can go with an NA application with around 95-97 octane level, I might end up supercharging my z, I've heard that a sc works fine with that compression unlike a turbo kit, hope it's correct this time
well, I agree that FI would give more power, but I've heard that increasing final gears ratio won't work properly with a turbo kit, am I right? , and what I'm really aiming for is the most terrifying acceleration I can get with a reasonable power output

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil bearing clearance high WHP