Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

More turbo kit options (all new kit from BP)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 03:31 PM
mafoor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
The turbo is journal bearing.
Wow so the divided exhaust really does make that much of a difference! I was just wondering if the difference in spool between this set up and jeffs wasnt because this was a BB turbo. So actually you might be able to pick up a little more spool with a BB turbo, not that the spool isnt already awesome
Old 04-30-2012, 06:14 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ball bearing does nothing for spool. its only useful for coming back onto boost during shifts....
Old 04-30-2012, 07:31 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mafoor
Wow so the divided exhaust really does make that much of a difference! I was just wondering if the difference in spool between this set up and jeffs wasnt because this was a BB turbo. So actually you might be able to pick up a little more spool with a BB turbo, not that the spool isnt already awesome
don't forget that the new 66 turbine wheels are a new design that increased spool quite a bit. Mine is the old school 65 wheel.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
don't forget that the new 66 turbine wheels are a new design that increased spool quite a bit. Mine is the old school 65 wheel.
Lol...you make it sound like you have the old Garrett diesel turbo.

On a side note...A lot of this has to do with tuning, and how much risk the customer is willing to put in to it on a stock block. This is why comparing even same dyno (brand) charts is so pointless. The tune makes things happen.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:47 AM
binder

Lol...you make it sound like you have the old Garrett diesel turbo.

On a side note...A lot of this has to do with tuning, and how much risk the customer is willing to put in to it on a stock block. This is why comparing even same dyno (brand) charts is so pointless. The tune makes things happen.
It is! mine is an old outdated boat anchor. lol

In truth, looking at the overlays of back to back pulls between the 65 wheel and the 66 wheel on Reid's supra the new 66 wheel puts the old one to shame in both faster spool and more power.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:56 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

It is! mine is an old outdated boat anchor. lol

In truth, looking at the overlays of back to back pulls between the 65 wheel and the 66 wheel on Reid's supra the new 66 wheel puts the old one to shame in both faster spool and more power.
The 66mm wheel is better for sure, you can see it as soon as you look at it. The fins are much thinner, so lighter, and I am sure that has a lot to do with spool and flow.

There will be a 6266 T4 .81 a/r on the dyno with the mid mount kit soon enough, so we shall see how it does.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:06 AM
binder

The 66mm wheel is better for sure, you can see it as soon as you look at it. The fins are much thinner, so lighter, and I am sure that has a lot to do with spool and flow.

There will be a 6266 T4 .81 a/r on the dyno with the mid mount kit soon enough, so we shall see how it does.
with my midmount style? interesting. I would definitely like to see that. After seeing those HP numbers from reid's car compared to the 6765 the 6266 would provide me with all the hp i need and sooner in the power band. ah dreams....
Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

with my midmount style? interesting. I would definitely like to see that. After seeing those HP numbers from reid's car compared to the 6765 the 6266 would provide me with all the hp i need and sooner in the power band. ah dreams....
Yes, with the mid-mount.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 AM
mgrotel

wow, looks great!

work with auto transmission? probably not i suppose

how much boost would you recommend for a built 11:1 compression ratio motor?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mgrotel
wow, looks great!

work with auto transmission? probably not i suppose

how much boost would you recommend for a built 11:1 compression ratio motor?
No auto. Hard to say how much boost..it will depend on your tuner and fuel used.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:59 PM
mgrotel

think you will ever make an auto kit?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:29 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Awsome work but i do have a couple of questions, comments concerns. Ground clearance, having the turbo there would make me think it will easily be damaged. Next would be transmission heat, that trans already runs hot as hell as is,then the turbo and pipes right there, cant see that good for the bearings nor could i see this beeing tracked without an external trans cooler.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Awsome work but i do have a couple of questions, comments concerns. Ground clearance, having the turbo there would make me think it will easily be damaged. Next would be transmission heat, that trans already runs hot as hell as is,then the turbo and pipes right there, cant see that good for the bearings nor could i see this beeing tracked without an external trans cooler.
Well, at the risk of sounding like a DB, I am getting tired of answering the ground clearance and heat concerns.

You can get a small T3 turbo, which does not produce any heat, and stick in the cold engine bay, where it will create just enough heat to keep everything happy.

I guess this kit is not for you my friend.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 05-02-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:18 AM
Pengu

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Working on building my engine then hopefully coming back for a kit in the on coming months, love what you did.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:06 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd say turbos are more likely to fail near the engine core vs the transmission! And they don't fail there, so... non-issue. And if you're going over questionable terrain in your z/g and worried about the ground clearance, I'm sure you could get someone to fabricate a skid plate. I suppose ripping out an oil line by running over debris on the highway could be a concern. I've seen a friend's car with a cracked oil pan (on his old volvo) from running over a truck tire fragment at highway speeds. I'd just call that unlucky though...

Last edited by rcdash; 05-02-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:12 PM
binder

if going down the country washed out dirt roads at my parents indiana farm doesn't hurt it then it won't get hurt driving on the road.

This sits above everything that hangs down so unless you do rock crawling and plan on taking out the crossmember then the turbo will not be touched.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

so much win here
Old 05-02-2012, 12:57 PM
bigcloud

Originally Posted by terrasmak

Please go read all of Sasha's build threads. This issue has been addressed already. I don't understand people sometimes..... Like Sasha would put out a quality product that get's hit with rocks every time it's driven.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:47 PM
konrad

A little of topic, do you guys think that the mid mounted kit with a quick spool valve and the 6766 would give similar spool as the twin scroll ?

I'm highly considering the quick spool with my 6766 but just don't know if its worth the money
Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it actually does quite a bit for it. in fact i had a dyno i had sent sasha before that showed a rb26 running a JB vs BB 6765 other than that nothing on the engine was changed but it picked up 35 average whp vs the JB from the quicker spool. NOW with that said it does absolutly nothing for boost threshold which is the point the turbo first makes boost and some people confuse it with spool, or how fast the turbo makes boost. it also wont do a thing for peak power but it def helps with power under the curve which is def a good thing. up to the user if its worth the extra cost for a little bit extra power in non peak situations.

personally i think its worth it to pick it up for anything but drag racing, since drag racing it wont do much after first gear.

edit dyno to back it up exact same engine, same day, same boost, same dyno, same fuel only difference is JB vs BB turbo blue bb red jb

konrad i think thats a huge can of worms which has been debated on many forums and you probably wont find an answer. some say all the gas going into one volute will spool faster with the qsv(with a possible lower boost threshold.) some will argue that the perfect pulses from having the tubes divided will give quicker spool than qsv but not necessarily lower boost threashold then open volute. ive personally been looking at it alot and havnt really found anything conclusive. owner preferance and he says she says is about it. either way qsv will give you better spool and mayby a lower boost threashold(some claim they have seen initial boost sooner but havnt found anyone post dynos of initial boost, its always starting after a couple psi are already generated.) just remember you will have to go pretty big to match the flow of a open. precision told me the 1.32 divided housing was about the same flow as the .96 open.
Originally Posted by str8dum1
ball bearing does nothing for spool. its only useful for coming back onto boost during shifts....

Last edited by jerryd87; 05-02-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply: More turbo kit options (all new kit from BP)