Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Boosted Performance single turbo fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 06:09 AM
Dajersyrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
Ease of install and efficiency were the driving factors. The primaries are equal length, and provide much better exhaust scavenging than the traditional tangential turbine housings/design. This location also allows me to use a 67mm turbo with a T4 1.32 a/r housing, while keeping the turbo as close to the manifolds as possible. The kit works very well, and a lot of customers have had great results, primarily due to the T4 turbines.
I see...What "efficiency factors are you referring to? More efficient compared to what? Did you do side by side "efficiency" testing? Are we talking the actual turbo used is more "efficient" or the design?

The APS kit had it's limitations. A tiny T3 housing did not allow for any expansion/growth, which was a problem shared with other T3 single turbo kits (top mounts included).It was also more difficult to install since the crossover pipe was over the transmission. These engines breather so well, and move a lot of air so a larger T4 housing is a must IMO. This is based on EBP testing, and not guessing. My customers typically make about 600-650whp (DJ, built motors) on 93 pump gas with these kits. Back in the day race gas was used to get anywhere near 600whp on pump gas.
I see, I agree the APS single turbo kit was the 2nd biggest POS single turbo kit on the market at the time, second only to the Turbonetics at the time. Putting the turbo under the car with a return oil pump was the dumbest design I have ever seen in my life. Not one single automaker puts their turbo in that position, nor does one single real life race team..Just a stupid stupid design due to oil return issues, hitting road debris is also a concern.. Now if were talking APS TT, I made over 740 Dyno dynamics WHP on my kit back in 2007-2008. AS far as making power, the bigger,more efficient turbo you use the easier it becomes to make power..The guys that want to make serious power dont give a crap about ease of install, they would just do some off the wall custom set up and make 1300-1800 whp like Vinny Ten did back in 2006-2007.

There is no issues with these low mount kits if it is designed well, especially when it comes to to oil return.
So how do you combat the oiling issue on your kit? Cause the oil needs to get back to the motor, excessive oiling was causing the APS kits to smoke bad..

There are over 70 of these out there, and they are doing very well, both on the street and on the track. The VHR guys have consistently made around 525whp with the twin scroll kits at around 10psi of boost. The boost/tq/hp curves are identical to the TT kits as well, so there is a big advantage:
wow, you made 70 of these kits yourself already or you send them out to be made?Cause thats a ton of work..

Do you happen to know some of the average 1/4 mile times of the kit? Or anyone that is running road course with them?

You do nice welding and fab work.You should design a serious TT kit for the 370Z.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:15 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dajersyrat
I see...What "efficiency factors are you referring to? More efficient compared to what? Did you do side by side "efficiency" testing? Are we talking the actual turbo used is more "efficient" or the design?
Power/psi, as well as boost curve itself. EBP testing will tell you a lot about the efficiency as well, hence the use of T4 housings instead of the T3's. A true twin scroll design by nature is simply more efficient as well when comparing it to the tangential (top mount) kits or the mid mount kit. This is mostly due to the scavenging effect when using equal length headers, and the VHR cars have those from factory. The distance between manifolds and turbine is much shorter as well, so there is of course more than one thing...but you already know that.

I see, I agree the APS single turbo kit was the 2nd biggest POS single turbo kit on the market at the time, second only to the Turbonetics at the time. Putting the turbo under the car with a return oil pump was the dumbest design I have ever seen in my life. Not one single automaker puts their turbo in that position, nor does one single real life race team..Just a stupid stupid design due to oil return issues, hitting road debris is also a concern.. Now if were talking APS TT, I made over 740 Dyno dynamics WHP on my kit back in 2007-2008. AS far as making power, the bigger,more efficient turbo you use the easier it becomes to make power..The guys that want to make serious power dont give a crap about ease of install, they would just do some off the wall custom set up and make 1300-1800 whp like Vinny Ten did back in 2006-2007.

So how do you combat the oiling issue on your kit? Cause the oil needs to get back to the motor, excessive oiling was causing the APS kits to smoke bad..
There is nothing wrong with a low mount kit if proper components are used, this is especially true when it comes to the oil return system. So I only use the Exa pumps for this:

http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pumps/.../Exa-Pump.html

On top of that there is a reservoir that bolts up to the turbo oil drain to act like an oil pan. There is also a simple mechanical check valve on the turbo oil inlet to prevent any feed line draining in to the turbo once the engine is shut off. This ensures that there is never any smoking, since there is no oil in the centre section when the car is shut off, so it can't leak past the seals. I have had many APS ST customer switch to this oil feed/return design and they all love it, since the car never smokes again.

As for power, the mid mount kit can use a 76mm (PTE 7675 T4 .96 a/r) turbo as there is enough room under the car. So with the availability of E85, 740whp on a DD, and low 9's is not a big deal . I should have the results of that build soon.

wow, you made 70 of these kits yourself already or you send them out to be made?Cause thats a ton of work..
All done in house by me, where I have full control of QC

Do you happen to know some of the average 1/4 mile times of the kit? Or anyone that is running road course with them?

You do nice welding and fab work.You should design a serious TT kit for the 370Z.
Sorry, I don't have any 1/4 mile times...but I know that there are a few customer out there using this kit on the road course, and drag strip.

There is already a nice TT kit for the VHR's out there, the Fast Intentions twin kit, and I don't want to compete with them. I can hardly keep up with demand for these kits

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 05-20-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Dajersyrat

Power/psi, as well as boost curve itself. EBP testing will tell you a lot about the efficiency as well, hence the use of T4 housings instead of the T3's. A true twin scroll design by nature is simply more efficient as well when comparing it to the tangential (top mount) kits or the mid mount kit. This is mostly due to the scavenging effect when using equal length headers, and the VHR cars have those from factory. The distance between manifolds and turbine is much shorter as well, so there is of course more than one thing...but you already know that.

There is nothing wrong with a low mount kit if proper components are used, this is especially true when it comes to the oil return system. So I only use the Exa pumps for this:

http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pumps/.../Exa-Pump.html

On top of that there is a reservoir that bolts up to the turbo oil drain to act like an oil pan. There is also a simple mechanical check valve on the turbo oil inlet to prevent any feed line draining in to the turbo once the engine is shut off. This ensures that there is never any smoking, since there is no oil in the centre section when the car is shut off, so it can't leak past the seals. I have had many APS ST customer switch to this oil feed/return design and they all love it, since the car never smokes again.

As for power, the mid mount kit can use a 76mm (PTE 7675 T4 .96 a/r) turbo as there is enough room under the car. So with the availability of E85, 740whp on a DD, and low 9's is not a big deal . I should have the results of that build soon.

All done in house by me, where I have full control of QC

Sorry, I don't have any 1/4 mile times...but I know that there are a few customer out there using this kit on the road course, and drag strip.

There is already a nice TT kit for the VHR's out there, the Fast Intentions twin kit, and I don't want to compete with them. I can hardly keep up with demand for these kits

You should do a nice custom one off twin kit for your own car. I was about at the limit of my off the shelf APS TT Extreme kit back then, and you are correct about the T3-T4 flanges and lack of dual equal length headers, those cast log manifolds just sucked... I couldnt find anyone around here at the time that had the proper skill to do a nice kit for me, otherwise I would have done it and been in the low 8's by now. But I since switched over to American classic muscle.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:10 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You should do a nice custom one off twin kit for your own car. I was about at the limit of my off the shelf APS TT Extreme kit back then, and you are correct about the T3-T4 flanges and lack of dual equal length headers, those cast log manifolds just sucked... I couldnt find anyone around here at the time that had the proper skill to do a nice kit for me, otherwise I would have done it and been in the low 8's by now. But I since switched over to American classic muscle.
The twin scroll kit works very well, so I have no desire to build a TT kit.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:50 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

. But I since switched over to American classic muscle.
Try not to drive your new car on thanksgiving
Old 05-21-2014, 09:50 AM
Dajersyrat

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Try not to drive your new car on thanksgiving
Yeah, I have no clue what the reference is..
Old 05-21-2014, 03:30 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

How do you know I have no experience installing a turbo kit or 2? And I love the Emoticon...Encouraging me to commit suicide, really nice... All from one comment that it looks like a pain in the *** to install. All turbo kits are pains in the asses to install on the Z platform, and Im sure this one is the easiest as you guys say. But There is a big difference between an exhaust install and a single turbo install of any manufacturer, but you with all you already knew that right? I was just saying that the analogy was a bit off..
Ah....So you're Captain Obvious?

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
LOL! I guess you don't realize you just said that to a my350z OG with a new account. That's Julian (former owner of MRC). While he may not have any experience with the BP kit, he has more VQ and FI experience than anybody else in this thread. He was building legit 500+whp Z's (anybody remember r0mey and doug?) and running 10's with his own Z before most of you joined the forum.
Regardless his post is noobish...
Old 05-22-2014, 02:54 PM
Dajersyrat

Originally Posted by KingBaby
Regardless his post is noobish...
Cause Im a noob...
Old 05-22-2014, 03:34 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Cause Im a noob...
that's how it appeared to be, so spare me the elite douchery

BP didn't just pop up yesterday, and if you were that ddeep in the game before you left the VQ scene you shouldn't have 21 questions about how a kit is setup.

Welcome to My350z
Old 05-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Dajersyrat

that's how it appeared to be, so spare me the elite douchery

BP didn't just pop up yesterday, and if you were that ddeep in the game before you left the VQ scene you shouldn't have 21 questions about how a kit is setup.

Welcome to My350z
You really think I have legitimate questions? LOL You really dont know me do you..lol
Old 05-22-2014, 03:55 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

You really think I have legitimate questions? LOL You really dont know me do you..lol
No brosif...I'm saying you shouldn't have no quesions...
Old 05-23-2014, 03:42 AM
Dajersyrat

No brosif...I'm saying you shouldn't have no quesions...
Should NOT have NO questions?? Im not sure that even makes sense as a sentence.

You seem to be here to defend your sponsor in both threads, and you seem to be taking a CYBER BULLY tactic about it, so Ill let you think you have some power in life and leave it be. God help yall if I ever get back in the Z car game....But I really would not bother, the good ol days are gone and the 350Z has joined the same owner circle as the Honda civic hatchback..LOL

Back in the days people spent 30K on the car and 30K on a nice TT build, but it seems those days are long gone and everyone who could afford that, went out and bought a GTR. So Ill let yall think yall exclusive and **** with yer fancy Z cars..
Old 05-23-2014, 04:10 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Should NOT have NO questions?? Im not sure that even makes sense as a sentence.

You seem to be here to defend your sponsor in both threads, and you seem to be taking a CYBER BULLY tactic about it, so Ill let you think you have some power in life and leave it be. God help yall if I ever get back in the Z car game....But I really would not bother, the good ol days are gone and the 350Z has joined the same owner circle as the Honda civic hatchback..LOL

Back in the days people spent 30K on the car and 30K on a nice TT build, but it seems those days are long gone and everyone who could afford that, went out and bought a GTR. So Ill let yall think yall exclusive and **** with yer fancy Z cars..
Back in the day 30k on the car then because lack of knowledge gave you 30k! Sounds about right man?

I spent 45k on my Z and if you where around I'd probably hand you 30k!

I'm defending folks "IN" the community. So GTFO!
Old 05-28-2014, 10:08 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Some of the message delivery can be toned down..but either way... those "In" the community deserve to know an accurate message, not a marketing message disguised as t3chnical....

Many members from back in the day still "in" community that have been here a while with knowledge with information o aggressive Fi builds point to a lot of misinforming and inaccurate posts by several new "in" members.... its like back in the 2006 misinformation
Old 05-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Dajersyrat

Since I "WAS" part of the pioneering community, does my information count? Or am I a noob all over again cause Im not "IN" the community and my information is null and void?

People did this stuff over 7 years ago with no road map to guide them. Think of guys like me, Sharif,Hal,Charles Ect..Ect...as the godfathers of soul..LOL
Old 05-28-2014, 09:41 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Well it ridiculous for someone on one statement to say aps turbos were small... And then go around saying the kit made low and got to 600 because if race gas and "my kits" can do 600??????

That's misleading... Aps did that because turbos were small or conservatives estimates of what the limitations were oh the vq back then of what it could take or development of the ems control... I mean back then the "shot" was the utec! LoL

I mean I am pushing 760 on 91 octane...now
Old 05-29-2014, 07:04 AM
Dajersyrat

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
Well it ridiculous for someone on one statement to say aps turbos were small... And then go around saying the kit made low and got to 600 because if race gas and "my kits" can do 600??????

That's misleading... Aps did that because turbos were small or conservatives estimates of what the limitations were oh the vq back then of what it could take or development of the ems control... I mean back then the "shot" was the utec! LoL

I mean I am pushing 760 on 91 octane...now
What EMS is everyone using these days?
Old 05-29-2014, 08:45 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Haven't checked in a while but I suspect the built engines "s3riUs" builts are probably in haltech and proefi128....uprev is solid too
Old 05-30-2014, 02:12 AM
padilla03z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a "serious" build as I am only around 500ish but my tuner convinced me to switch to haltech because of all the safety's. I'm sure uprev can handle my goals but peace of mind told me to spend the extra money.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:11 AM
Dajersyrat

So AEM still to this date never made a plug n play EMS for the 350Z platform..LMAO!!

Quick Reply: Boosted Performance single turbo fabrication