Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Coolant expansion tank for DE APS twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zivman
I did get it installed roughly. I had a very difficult time finding room. I still don't have it secured, just plumbed and sitting in the engine bay. I have only had time to bleed the system before the weather turned and I put the car in storage.

I didn't want to post pics of the install until I had a bracket made up and had it mounted properly.

it might be a while since we have a foot of snow on the ground
I can't believe I missed this thread before. I've been having the same issue for years now. My motor is fine, but the coolant will boil after I shut it off and spout out of the tiny APS overflow. I don't ever have any problems when the car is running though. Even during extended idling after beating on it. The extended idling actually seems to let the turbos cool a bit and it doesn't boil as much.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

In for installed photos when you get them.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:54 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwame
In for installed photos when you get them.
+1. Looking into doing this. Zic When you bought the Carbing from Option did it come with the AN fittings?

Thanks

Chris
Old 12-25-2012, 07:59 PM
SH Luciano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
I can't believe I missed this thread before. I've been having the same issue for years now. My motor is fine, but the coolant will boil after I shut it off and spout out of the tiny APS overflow. I don't ever have any problems when the car is running though. Even during extended idling after beating on it. The extended idling actually seems to let the turbos cool a bit and it doesn't boil as much.
after last summer when you switched to the koyo rad cap didn't you say to me your car has been better too?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:39 AM
APS350ztt_Mitch

I'm having the same thing happen to my stock motor APS twin turbo.
I was worried that something was wrong with my setup as I installed the kit myself.

I'm very keen to see pics and to know if doing this will fix the issue.
Also where did you get your little coolant expansion tank form? eBay?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by APS350ztt_Mitch
I'm having the same thing happen to my stock motor APS twin turbo.
I was worried that something was wrong with my setup as I installed the kit myself.

I'm very keen to see pics and to know if doing this will fix the issue.
Also where did you get your little coolant expansion tank form? eBay?
late spring here guys. still have 2-3' of snow on the ground with a forecast of below average temps. it is going to be a few weeks before I get the car out.

just need to fab up a little mounting bracket for the tank, otherwise everything is done. that won't be done till the snow is gone, as I have the car on the cold storage side of my building, and can't get it around the yard into the shop.

I posted a link to where you can get the tank
Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by NA&CH
+1. Looking into doing this. Zic When you bought the Carbing from Option did it come with the AN fittings?

Thanks

Chris

they have two variants of the tank. one has the an male fittings, the other has hose type.

Carbing CA-2200010 is the an fitting tank.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:51 PM
maximumsportZ

Zivman and Briguy nice to see you two around. I had this exact issue with my APS TT Built, the expansion fixed everything. You hit the nail on the hammer about the boiling from our turbos. Back in 2007 when I did the build eveyone's first reaction was "headlift"

I agree is just a poor design. Post and update!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:18 AM
djtimodj

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

UPDATE: My expansion system is still working well. Headlift?? lol.. My cars only running 10-11psi and would only every boil over after the motor was shut off hahha... New expansion system has totally sorted this from just after a month after it was built!
Old 03-24-2013, 05:58 AM
Driver06

I know this is an old topic, but I used to have this same problem with my APS setup. after I shut the car off or even just let it idle after beating on the car, coolant would come shooting out of the overflow. It got pretty old with people coming up to me, trying to tell me whats wrong with my car, lol..
I bought a Koyo radiator and it didnt really do anything. I asked my brother, and he recomended the Greddy "breather" tank.I found a breather tank, bought it and installed it. I put it pretty much right in front of the strut bar on the pass side, nice and high. Took care of the problem. I also have the 300zx rad cap, from carquest (like 3.99), because its a little higher pressure.
p.s. I just passed 110k boosted on a stock block (130k on the motor)
Old 03-26-2013, 09:30 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
Zivman and Briguy nice to see you two around. I had this exact issue with my APS TT Built, the expansion fixed everything. You hit the nail on the hammer about the boiling from our turbos. Back in 2007 when I did the build eveyone's first reaction was "headlift"

I agree is just a poor design. Post and update!
Nice to see you too. Been a long time.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Driver06
I know this is an old topic, but I used to have this same problem with my APS setup. after I shut the car off or even just let it idle after beating on the car, coolant would come shooting out of the overflow. It got pretty old with people coming up to me, trying to tell me whats wrong with my car, lol..
I bought a Koyo radiator and it didnt really do anything. I asked my brother, and he recomended the Greddy "breather" tank.I found a breather tank, bought it and installed it. I put it pretty much right in front of the strut bar on the pass side, nice and high. Took care of the problem. I also have the 300zx rad cap, from carquest (like 3.99), because its a little higher pressure.
p.s. I just passed 110k boosted on a stock block (130k on the motor)
Is this what you bought?
http://www.frsport.com/Greddy-124009...S_p_13748.html

Have any pictures of it installed?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:32 AM
Driver06

yeah, thats the one. I dont have any pics of it installed, but you just want to make sure its at the highest point in the cooling system. Even higher than that coolant "T" that feeds the turbos in the back of the I.M. When you hook it up, the most labor intensive part is T-ing the line that comes out of the bottom of the tank into the lower radiator hose.
In theory, before the overflow can fill up, the pressure sends the coolant back into the system via lower rad hose( I think). I just rec. replacing the P.O.S. hose that comes with it.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Driver06
yeah, thats the one. I dont have any pics of it installed, but you just want to make sure its at the highest point in the cooling system. Even higher than that coolant "T" that feeds the turbos in the back of the I.M. When you hook it up, the most labor intensive part is T-ing the line that comes out of the bottom of the tank into the lower radiator hose.
In theory, before the overflow can fill up, the pressure sends the coolant back into the system via lower rad hose( I think). I just rec. replacing the P.O.S. hose that comes with it.
Got it. If you get any chance to snap a cell phone pic or something and post it up here, that would be awesome.

Thanks!!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Driver06

No problem bro.. I had the problem for a year before I adressed it. I just figured it came with the territory of twins. My brother, who worked at MRC with Julian at the time , kept telling me NO, Its not normal. What do little brothers know?
Funny how with the APS kit, in 6 years all I've had to do was replace the oil return on each side. People may knock APS, but the bottom line is that they use quality parts, everything is labeled and independently bagged, nothing is missing,ect. ect. At least they used to be. Once they went journal, everything went downhill, lol. But still, you dont usually hear about a maintenace free twin turbo kit for a 350z.
Im gonna see if someone at work can post a pic for me, I havent posted a pic in 10 years. If you want to pm me on how to post pictures, I'm game. I have an Iphone if that helps..
I'm going to be swapping my motor and turning up the boost in the next month or so(its about time!!), I'm sure I'll have some questions for you.
TIA
Old 04-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Zivman

Driver06's pics

Name:  breathertank2_zps077348ba.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  113.3 KB
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Sweet. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Zivman

finished up mine today. just cleaned up the hoses and bent up a bracket for the tank

This is the tap into the lower radiator hose. this runs to the bottom of the expansion tank
Name:  IMG_20130407_112531_zps733ea09a.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  273.3 KB

This doesn't show much.. the line crossing under the two with the blue ends is the line from above coming up and across the front of the car
Name:  IMG_20130407_112549_zpse3e7468f.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  273.1 KB

this is kind of an over head of everything. the line that tucks down by the aps overflow isn't connected, but it just goes into the top neck feed of the tank.
Name:  IMG_20130407_112539_zpsa7126362.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  348.5 KB

This is the tank mounted with a simple L bracket I bent up. All lines are connected.
Name:  IMG_20130407_122527_zpsc8b44e82.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  327.4 KB
The following users liked this post:
ChrisDe (02-03-2019)
Old 04-07-2013, 04:25 PM
RED RIDER

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Outstanding! This will be my next mod...just got my car back together after having the engine out, rebuilding the turbos, installing complete pathfinder kit and oil cooler....engine is on fantastic shape...but still some test runs on the Dyno prove this whole theory..

still will push coolant into the overflow...
Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Looks good Ziv. This is my list to do. Thanks!

Chris

Quick Reply: Coolant expansion tank for DE APS twin turbo