Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Coolant expansion tank for DE APS twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 06:36 AM
hulkout

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
I reread some of my earlier posts. It seems you would want to feed the other port from a hot side feed coming off the head. You'd have to do a little digging to find the right feed
There is a drain plug on the left side. Sounds like that's what you used for your turbos. Maybe thata the way to go. Basically the same as your setup, but I won't need to find a new turbo feed. Cuz my greddy turbos are from the dark ages.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:43 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hulkout
There is a drain plug on the left side. Sounds like that's what you used for your turbos. Maybe thata the way to go. Basically the same as your setup, but I won't need to find a new turbo feed. Cuz my greddy turbos are from the dark ages.
yes, that is where the feed to the turbos come from. I wouldn't advise running that into the tank. you want the hottest coolant being fed into the tank which is somewhere off the head. probably on the RHS of the motor. Look for one of the feeds going back into the radiator
Old 10-23-2014, 03:41 PM
hulkout

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
yes, that is where the feed to the turbos come from. I wouldn't advise running that into the tank. you want the hottest coolant being fed into the tank which is somewhere off the head. probably on the RHS of the motor. Look for one of the feeds going back into the radiator
I guess I misread a post. Im going to re read this a few times. Thanks for your help. Wish me luck ending my coolant troubles once and for all.

Edit* I also have the pathfinder mod. It left me with an unused port on the gold hard pipe on the rhs. Seems like A good place. Opinions?

Last edited by hulkout; 10-23-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:32 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Researching Lotus and came across BOE shop.

They make a Tank similar to what you OP was talking about. In addition to swirling they discuss increasing pressure.....I don't know $hit but....

http://www.boefabrication.com/index....oe-header-tank

"Whether you race, do track days, autocross, or just enjoy your Lotus on the street, removing heat from the engine is a critical function to reduce engine wear and maintain power.

It’s no secret that aeration of the coolant hinders its ability to absorb and transfer heat. The coolant becomes aerated from localized boiling around the cylinder walls (creating a layer of steam around the cylinder walls) in addition to turbulence from the water pump and coolant passages.

NASCAR, Formula 1, and other race series have developed great strategies involving pressure and swirling to help combat these issues, which have long since trickled down to mere mortals.

The first is with pressure. Simply put, the more pressure, the better. Pressure not only increases the boiling point of the coolant, but it also reduces the size of the air bubbles/pockets in the system. Higher boiling temperatures equate to less fluid boiling and therefore less air in the system. Reducing the air bubble size from greater pressure reduces the size of the steam layer around the cylinder walls, which helps extract more heat from the engine itself!

The second is the simple concept of swirling the entire cooling mass. Swirling forces the heavy coolant to outer region of the tank forcing the lightweight air to separate from the coolant and collect toward the center of the tank.

The combination of swirling the coolant and adding more pressure to the system will help to ensure you’re getting the most heat out the engine and transferred to the radiator where it can be dissipated.

Our pressurized header swirl tank is expertly welded and complete with a site tube, Lotus specific bracket, hoses, and hardware.

An optional regulated air inflator tool available separately. This air filler can be dialed into your desired pressure under 20PSI to pre-pressurize your tank for greater operating pressures. It is NOT required, but makes quick work of filling your tank to a desired pressure.

The tanks are shipped with 30PSI caps. We typically run 40PSI in race cars. Please note that running pressures in excess of 30PSI is not recommended unless you have replaced your OE radiator and hoses."

It's expensive as hell at $450....and I don't post pictures but click on the link and see if this inspires anyone.

Last edited by eZg; 11-21-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Zivman

that is a good find, but price prohibitive.

I plan on having a larger capacity tank custom made over the winter. The challenge is finding space for one with any decent capacity
Old 01-26-2015, 03:17 AM
aln

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by APS350ztt_Mitch
Hi All

Just finished install of my hand made can on my APSTT Zee
Fixed the coolant issues and its way easier to swap the coolant now.

Let me know what you think

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Anyone know what tank that is in the picture and the rest of the fittings? Interested in sticking the same into my Z. Have PM OP but he has not been online for a while... almost 10 months so cant ask him If anyone has done anything different then shoot. I know this thread is old but still good right?
Old 01-27-2015, 10:25 PM
aln

anyone?
Old 01-28-2015, 10:39 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it has an in/out, overflow as well as feeds for water cooled turbos.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:33 AM
MDK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8dum1
it has an in/out, overflow as well as feeds for water cooled turbos.
I'm trying to figure this out as well. There seem to be 6 lines.

The largest pair is the line to the heater core.

Top line by the cap is the overflow.

One of the lines should be the feed for the turbo.

That leaves the line under the overflow, and the one under the turbo feed line. What are they for?
Old 01-31-2015, 11:39 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by MDK

That leaves the line under the overflow, and the one under the turbo feed line. What are they for?
the feed from the turbo is the larger blue fiting (red elbow) you see at about 4 o'clock in the first pic.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:20 AM
aln

Originally Posted by MDK

The one under the overflow I am guessing that its going back to the cap on the rad, the one under the turbo feed line I am guessing has nothing to do with the setup but as I say I am not sure of either of them
Old 02-02-2015, 10:46 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the one under the turbo is just a cap. the one under the overflow could be for the stock oil warmer or anything else.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:35 AM
TT03Z

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

This is an awesome post props on the r and d man! I'm having a similar issue and have been looking into this as well on my Greddy TT DE. My turbos are oil cooled so i wont have to worry about the turbos boiling coolant but I'm still having issues with the car pushing coolant after pulls. This seems like the perfect fix! I will have to look into building a custom tank with a decent capacity. Have you had your car at the track since you did this install? Any problems come up since then to speak of?
Old 03-17-2019, 02:16 PM
350ZTT_UK

I know this is a very very old thread, but given how often it appears in google search I thought I’d join to add to this.

I have a 350Z DE with APS TT setup, including the carbing expansion tank almost exactly as covered previously,
It is located up by the firewall, in front of the driver and to the right of the brake fluid reservoir. (RHD car, UK)

Ive not experienced any coolant being pushed but clearly the previous owner(s) did - until the carbing expansion was fitted anyway.

Im also toying with the idea of a Mishimoto cooling fan setup - thinner and apparently more efficient than stock units, 1 concern here though is that they are apparently very noisy, and only 1 speed.

ive tried to remove the OEM cooling fan shroud but there just isn’t enough room to pull it up and out - the intercooler pipes get in the way
Im guessing it’ll need to come out from the bottom, but that means draining the cooling system and removing the bottom rad hose,

Question for anyone with the APS setup though - once the carbing expanion tank is installed, what is the correct method for bleeding p, refilling or topping up the coolant? Presumably it’s via the carbing tank as it’s the highest point? So run the engine up to temp, and leave the cap on the carbing tank off, filling up as the level drops?

cheers!
Old 09-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Neonitro

Hi, good night, I'm from Dominican Republic, I think there is only one single Nissan 350z turbo in my country, I'm having serious problems with the temperature and I don't know who can help me