Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Calling HR's with TopGunz A-A stillen supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 07:06 PM
NissanTracker

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Calling HR's with TopGunz A-A stillen supercharger

Just grabbed a V1 A-A kit and wanted to check in and see if any HR's got it installed. Was curious to know what modifications had to be made, if any.

​​​​​​I have a 07 Nismo with the Stillen supercharger kit + frozen boost cooler. Have Seb from specialty Z doing the tune, still on the 255 Walbro and 550 cc injectors. I did purchase the 9psi pulley and TBatts tensioner set up, but wanted to get tunes first with the A-A and see where it takes my current fuel set up (although return setup and larger injectors would be common sense).
Old 05-19-2020, 05:57 AM
NissanTracker

bump?
Old 05-19-2020, 08:23 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Not very many supercharged HR builds ... I think most the HR owners go turbo...

the HR is a great platform the FI but it seems like there isnt much support for it.

with 550cc injectors and a 255lph you'll run out of fuel (likely the injectors) in the early 400hp range but that's all 9psi will make anyways.

Figure out what you want to spend on the car. Add another few thousand dollars and you can be in the 500 hp range.

Last edited by bealljk; 05-19-2020 at 08:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NissanTracker (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 08:52 AM
NissanTracker

Yeah, i'm aware of the lack of FI on the HR platform, thus i figured i would open a thread to see any updates since 5 years ago when i picked up my nismo. I've been running the supercharger for a couple years now and wanted a bump.

I'll document the A-A install and post just in case anyone wants to upgrade.

450whp is my max on this HR platform. I did pick up some ID 1000CC injectors since I posted. Confirmed what you mentioned, that i will probably max duty cycle on these and could be on the edge with not much room.

Thanks for the response!

Last edited by NissanTracker; 05-19-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:37 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by NissanTracker
Yeah, i'm aware of the lack of FI on the HR platform, thus i figured i would open a thread to see any updates since 5 years ago when i picked up my nismo. I've been running the supercharger for a couple years now and wanted a bump.

450whp is my max on this HR platform. I did pick up some ID 1000CC injectors since I posted. Confirmed what you mentioned, that i will probably max duty cycle on these and could be on the edge with not much room.

Thanks for the response!
For sure ... definitely do a build thread.

why is 450hp your ceiling? You can probably push it a little further on the HR can you? You should look into 450 or 525 fuel pump as it'll drop into the OEM fuel basket with a little bit of modification. The 450 would be plenty and it's slightly easier to install.

I'm curious about the A-A install
Old 06-01-2020, 08:01 PM
ashram

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed ,I'm also looking into getting the top gunz a2a kit for my hr and also to push no more than about 450 whp. With your power goals and already having the a2a kit dont see why you would need to spend thousands more . Looks like you just need bigger injectors. Keep us up to date!
Old 06-09-2020, 08:51 PM
Burst-Raptor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NissanTracker

Thanks for the response!
I’m completely new to this, just bought an 09 350 with the VQ35HR. Done heaps of searching and found mostly old threads with bulk conflicting info about max wheel horsepower on stock internal etc. You’ve been running a little over 400whp for a while now with a charger?... is that on a completely stock bottom end? I’m looking to make 400whp with a stillen kit and couple of bolt ons (exhaust etc) here in Australia I’ll always be running 98 fuel and I don’t want to start putting in lower compression pistons etc if I don’t have to.

Have you ever run into issues? Do you track the car? Drive it hard always? Look after it really well with servicing etc? Would you say that 400whp even with spirited driving (only after properly warmed up) is a very conservative number for the HR to keep it reliable and still have decent power?

Also any suggestion on what supercharger I should look at for potential gain in the long run? I can only find the stillen kit for the VQ35HR and people say it’s pretty limited... I had never heard of the topgunz kit before this thread.

Thanks in advance for any info guys, I’m open to any advice and to here from personal experience.

Last edited by Burst-Raptor; 06-09-2020 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:00 PM
ashram

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Burst-Raptor
I’m completely new to this, just bought an 09 350 with the VQ35HR. Done heaps of searching and found mostly old threads with bulk conflicting info about max wheel horsepower on stock internal etc. You’ve been running a little over 400whp for a while now with a charger?... is that on a completely stock bottom end? I’m looking to make 400whp with a stillen kit and couple of bolt ons (exhaust etc) here in Australia I’ll always be running 98 fuel and I don’t want to start putting in lower compression pistons etc if I don’t have to.

Have you ever run into issues? Do you track the car? Drive it hard always? Look after it really well with servicing etc? Would you say that 400whp even with spirited driving (only after properly warmed up) is a very conservative number for the HR to keep it reliable and still have decent power?

Also any suggestion on what supercharger I should look at for potential gain in the long run? I can only find the stillen kit for the VQ35HR and people say it’s pretty limited... I had never heard of the topgunz kit before this thread.

Thanks in advance for any info guys, I’m open to any advice and to here from personal experience.
I also have the stillen super charger on my 350z hr; 400 whp is just stratching the surface on a Hr stock eternals . I would definitely suggest getting a compression test done before you purchase the super charger .
bealljk (06-13-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 07:06 PM
Burst-Raptor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ashram
I also have the stillen super charger on my 350z hr; 400 whp is just stratching the surface on a Hr stock eternals . I would definitely suggest getting a compression test done before you purchase the super charger .
Noted, the 400whp number is the most common number I see popping up, I think almost everyone that blows there HR at the power has issues elsewhere perhaps the tune or not enough for cooling etc... I know someone that just didn’t check there oil it was low and blew there motor.

Thanks for the info man.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:52 PM
NissanTracker

Hey, i didn't forget about this thread.

So I installed the kit myself. I documented it as best as I can. Just need the time to edit photos and what not. If your thinking about getting a supercharger, go directly to TopGunz over at the370z.com and get the full setup. Even has options for the Si trim so you can raise the torque curve and get about 12ish PSI.

Minor modifications were required. Very little trimming of the drivers side radiator to headlight support to get the 90* coupler through safely. I did have to turn the IC pipe from the S.C. to BOV flange pipe upside down and buy a 45* coupler. Also, on the passenger side had to trim a bit of the radiator duct where the Y pipe goes through. Have to also trim a bit of the rad support where the bumper support bracket is. To retain the bumper support bracket, have to trim it a bit as well.

The intercooler and provided brackets will bolt up, but you only utilize 2 from each side as is. I used a bolt and a large washer to get at least 3 on each side.

In the end, with my Nismo bumper, I did not like the way the BOV rubbed against it and pushed the bumper up. I used a 20" 90* IC pipe and had a Tial 50mm flange welded where the bend of the IC pipe is, perpendicular for clearance.

The sound of the Tial Q that I had was too loud. I bought the bottom half re-circ and tossed a breather filter on it to tame it down. Some may like it, some will not.

I ended up buying UpRev MAF GT's and ID1050x injectors. PCV delete through a mishimoto catch can to atmosphere. Added the 9lb serp side pulley. Since I am on stock cats + motordyne TDX, I'm seeing 10psi.

TBatt over at the370z.com has a idler tension pulley mod that is worth the buck. Paypal'ed him, had it out same day, came in 3 days. Adds more wrap around the serp side pulley. I believe if you go with the full S.C. kit from TopGunz, he has a tensioner as well, but not as much wrap as TBatt.

Results (more to come)
I am still working with Sebastian @SpecialtyZ on the MAF tuning, but I trapped 405wHP at 6,900 kprms w/8.5psi. Things leaned out a bit and saw some knock so I did not go to redline. Assuming the Walbro 255 is good and the linear curve continues, i will be right about 420-425whp @10psi. Next dyno is next week. Going to make sure the dynojet is charting AFR and Boost.

ISSUES:
Idle can be a bit difficult. This is Z related and not the tuner for sure. Problem has always existed since going S.C. (used Kaizens here in Mass before and same issue). I'm hunting down a "Hot idle" issue where after some driving, the idle surges 1K-1,200rpms. I had this on the stock Air-Water Stillen kit too. Boost leak showed some minor stuff that was fixed, but pressurizing the system to 15psi, it SLOWLY drops to 10psi and holds for a while. Not sure if this is related... but going through the check list. I am going to pull the front bumper off, drive around and do a couple pulls. Then boost leak test immediately after while it is still hot.

Intercooler is small. SOHO motorsports has a larger intercooler. For me, it is more aesthetics. Front bumper looks like a hillbilly with missing teeth. My frozen boost chiller covered the entire space and had more character. Others have claimed a lower pressure drop with the SOHO, resulting in more PSI, but the TG intercooler has been used on 600+ wHP setups.

Stock cats. So I ran the air-water setup at first with HFC's and the stock nismo exhaust. I wanted a bit more sound and added the motordyne tdx. It was way too loud for my taste. Blew through the HFC's with ease. I added the stock cats and has been fine up to this point. The stock cats are not going to last long for sure. Spare on speed dial for sure.

Recommended is the resonated high flow cats from motordyne or i think Ark? Unfortunately, this route will make my tdx setup TOO loud, so I'm trying to get a set of cats from a Corvette ZR1 and weld them onto test pipes.

Last edited by NissanTracker; 07-14-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:40 PM
NissanTracker

Originally Posted by Burst-Raptor

So options for the HR are limited. I almost converted an APS single turbo kit for the DE to the HR.

I'm on a stock block. So far, I trapped 405wHP at 8.5-9psi and 6.9K rpms. My nismo goes to 7.5 and S.C. love RPMS as long as fuel delivers. I am sure I will see 415-425 next week on the second dyno run.

As other have said, the HR is probably safe at 450-500wHP. It has a very similar design to the VQ37. Almost identical... valve train is different. My goal was 425wHP because I do go to HSDE 's(high speed driving events - non competition).

The issue i have with the S.C. with my set up is the torque, or the "fun factor". I'm on the vortech v3 sci trim. I do not reach 10 psi until I'm at redline. It is a very linear curve. you can almost draw a straight line. Centrifugal chargers for yah! But, there are some mods you can do.

1) Since I've switched to the 9psi pulley (serb side), boost comes on a bit quicker (2 psi at 2-2,500 rpms). After 5K rpms, pulls like a mule when boost is on. One can go to an even smaller pulley, but then you are over spinning the charger and may go through the bearings.
2) TBATT idler mod is there for preventing slip for sure. I had to tighten the S.C. side idler
3) upgrade the S.C. bearings to highspeed and trim from 928 motorsports. Torque comes on strong, boost on a 9lb can get up towards 15 psi. But, because of the torque, some have experienced engine failure. Controversy whether it is a bad tune or just a random failure.

But, my recommendation is to hit up Topgunz and just grab the entire S.C. kit with the A-A upgrade with 750cc injectors if your shooting for 425-450wHP on the HR. I'm seeing max 60% duty cycle on 1050x injectors for room to grow. Topgunz also has a SI trim option. If you want to join the 500 mile club, toss a si trim + Walbro 340. Shoot for the stars? CJM fuel return system and prayers nightly to your block ;-)

Last edited by NissanTracker; 07-14-2020 at 04:41 PM.
ashram (12-16-2021)