Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbo VR6 in 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 02:20 AM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Great work on bringing this thing together!
Old 10-25-2014, 05:59 PM
NOLAGG

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How are you going to control interior function especially the AC past the can bus system?
Old 10-26-2014, 09:56 AM
350VRz

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NOLAGG
How are you going to control interior function especially the AC past the can bus system?
The original plan was to control everything by CAN but what I ended up doing is modifying the IPDM to take control over the radiator fan relays, both low and high speed and the A/C compressor relay with the MegaSquirt. The MS is connected to the A/C pressure sensor so I can monitor when to turn the compressor on/off. I'll connect the MS to the A/C button as the A/C request input and it'll take care of the rest. For the Tach and the coolant temp I'm going to figure out how to drive the gauges by looking at the circuit and then build an interface so I can take the Tacho out from the MS and drive the gauge and I'll also drive the coolant gauge that way too. I have tested the fan control and it's working great and plan to get the A/C up and running later because I have more pressing things to finish first. once I get the car all buttoned up I'll move on to getting the gauges working. I'm hoping to have a solution for 4, 6 and 8 cylinder swaps. The coolant gauge will run off of a GM sensor.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:04 AM
NOLAGG

Originally Posted by 350VRz
The original plan was to control everything by CAN but what I ended up doing is modifying the IPDM to take control over the radiator fan relays, both low and high speed and the A/C compressor relay with the MegaSquirt. The MS is connected to the A/C pressure sensor so I can monitor when to turn the compressor on/off. I'll connect the MS to the A/C button as the A/C request input and it'll take care of the rest. For the Tach and the coolant temp I'm going to figure out how to drive the gauges by looking at the circuit and then build an interface so I can take the Tacho out from the MS and drive the gauge and I'll also drive the coolant gauge that way too. I have tested the fan control and it's working great and plan to get the A/C up and running later because I have more pressing things to finish first. once I get the car all buttoned up I'll move on to getting the gauges working. I'm hoping to have a solution for 4, 6 and 8 cylinder swaps. The coolant gauge will run off of a GM sensor.
Thanks for the response,I appreciate it.the thing is I'm in the process of getting a 2jz swap going with in the next 3 months and am trying to figure out how to wire this thing myself with out the 1500$ price tag.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:12 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats why there are no LS swaps with AC or barely any with working gauges. You do a swap, pretty much you cut out those things, unless you want to pay for a standalone ECU that can run them.

If the MS3 pro can do all that and you must have AC, you are better spending money towards that instead of some single turbo manifold etc....
Old 11-03-2014, 02:07 AM
350VRz

So the engine spun a rod bearing under a light load the other day, not fun to hear! So I pulled the engine and broke it down the next day and it looks like whoever built the engine didn't set the specs for a turbo application. It had moly filled piston rings that started to fall apart and scared the cylinder wall and the debit scared the bearings and caused the failure of the one. I called ross and they said those were not good for turbo car boosting over 10psi and I know the engine had seen 15 from the original owner. I honed out the cylinders until all the scaring was gone and to my surprise the piston to wall clearances were now within what ross called as a minimum for a turbo application. That tells me the Piston to wall clearances were set for a N/A application and I can only imagine what the ring gap was set too. I had to order one new rod from Cunningham as the one that spun the bearing was damaged beyond repair by the machine shop. I'm taking the crank in to have it checked and if it's past repair I have a spare one I can use. I was able to lightly buff the pistons and get the little scaring out. I'm thinking of coating the sides and top before they go back in this time. This is why I like building my own motors!

Last edited by 350VRz; 11-03-2014 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:24 AM
350VRz

Originally Posted by NOLAGG
Thanks for the response,I appreciate it.the thing is I'm in the process of getting a 2jz swap going with in the next 3 months and am trying to figure out how to wire this thing myself with out the 1500$ price tag.
2JZ is easy. The stock ECU has an AC request and it controls the compressor. So this is what I would do. You need to add a low pressure switch into the low side of your A/C system as a minimum. add a high pressure switch to protect it if the system pressure goes to high. Use the A/C button to trigger a relay. Run the signal from the relay in series through a low pressure switch and high pressure switch and then to the 2JZ ECU. The low and high pressure switches will properly cycle the system under normal operating conditions and the ECU cuts it on and off depending on load and RPM. I think an Aristo ECU and Supra ECU have different input types. One wants to see a ground signal and the other 12VDC but the information should be out there. Do that and your A/C will work like a champ.

Also make sure that whoever wires the ECU does it properly so the ECU stores it's memory after each power down. If not it will start like you just disconnected the battery cable on every startup and run like crap. The best combo I ever had with a 2JZ ECU was a AEM F/IC in my DeLorean. The car was easy to tune and ran like factory.

Last edited by 350VRz; 11-03-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:23 PM
NOLAGG

Originally Posted by 350VRz
2JZ is easy. The stock ECU has an AC request and it controls the compressor. So this is what I would do. You need to add a low pressure switch into the low side of your A/C system as a minimum. add a high pressure switch to protect it if the system pressure goes to high. Use the A/C button to trigger a relay. Run the signal from the relay in series through a low pressure switch and high pressure switch and then to the 2JZ ECU. The low and high pressure switches will properly cycle the system under normal operating conditions and the ECU cuts it on and off depending on load and RPM. I think an Aristo ECU and Supra ECU have different input types. One wants to see a ground signal and the other 12VDC but the information should be out there. Do that and your A/C will work like a champ.

Also make sure that whoever wires the ECU does it properly so the ECU stores it's memory after each power down. If not it will start like you just disconnected the battery cable on every startup and run like crap. The best combo I ever had with a 2JZ ECU was a AEM F/IC in my DeLorean. The car was easy to tune and ran like factory.

A little confused but will get it fig. Out thanks for the response man
Old 01-02-2015, 02:51 PM
wwwdotgov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates? I've been watching this thread for a long time. I love all the work and custom fabrication you've put into this project!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by wwwdotgov
Any updates? I've been watching this thread for a long time. I love all the work and custom fabrication you've put into this project!
Don't give the NSA updates. They'll tell LEO's what's up and take you down bro
Old 01-03-2015, 06:34 PM
wwwdotgov

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Don't give the NSA updates. They'll tell LEO's what's up and take you down bro
No worries. Our satellite has located the subject in question and progress on Facebook.
https://m.facebook.com/seomotorsports?_rdr

Last edited by wwwdotgov; 01-03-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

No worries. Our satellite has located the subject in question and progress on Facebook.
https://m.facebook.com/seomotorsports?_rdr
ABORT ABORT, MISSION HAS BEEN COMPRIMIZED

(*Runs to own personal car, unbolts upper plenum, fills lower with thermite, lights and runs*)
Old 02-20-2015, 04:01 PM
350VRz

Sorry guys, I've been very busy. The car is up and running and going to the body shop next week. I still need to break this motor in before really pushing it but I feel a lot better about this engine build because I did it myself. I should have some driving videos in a few weeks.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:54 AM
wwwdotgov

Are you still going to be producing the vr6/350z transmission adapters? I noticed that products are no longer listed on your website.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:17 AM
350VRz

Are you still going to be producing the vr6/350z transmission adapters? I noticed that products are no longer listed on your website.
I have not had enough interest to make another batch. I can make one offs but they are double the price.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:29 AM
350VRz

I got the car back from the paint shop and it looks like a new car. I had it painted in a brighter pearl white and I had the door handles painted the same color. I highly recommend it; it makes the car look more modern. I'm just waiting on the front emblem and I plan to do a photo shoot and take some videos with the new GoPro I got for Christmas.

Next is to get the tach and engine temp gauges working. I also need to charge the AC and get the speed sensors hooked up the the MS3 pro for launch/traction control.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:22 PM
350VRz

Some shots of the car back from the machine shop.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:43 PM
350VRz

I have great news, we have figured out the CAN messages for the 350z and have the Tachometer, engine temp gauge, speed sensors, A/C on signal and a lot more stuff worked out. The software guy just needs to map the messages in MegaSquirt and the car will be done. The A/C is charged and blows nice and cold. At 14 psi the car is very fast. Once we turn the flex fuel sensor on and up the boost things are going to get very fun.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Sounds awesome, can't wait for the videos!
Old 05-03-2015, 08:35 AM
350VRz

So we got the CAN messages working driving the tachometer and temp gauge from the MegaSquirt. So no need for the stock ECU to be run as a piggy back when doing an engine swap or wanting to run the VQ35 with a MS3pro. The temp gauge readings are, cold is 100F or below, middle range is 200F and Hot is 300F. The VR6 sits around 193F most of the time so it works out great. The shift light also works like factory too. The next step is to get with James Murray and have him implement our changes into the latest development firmware so we can get the AC and speed signals off of the 350z CAN bus. This will be SEO Motorsports contribution to the community.

http://vid40.photobucket.com/albums/...psspdnc2jy.mp4
[IMG]

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/crazyedfsu/th_IMG_1707_zpsspdnc2jy.mp4[/IMG]

We took the car to the track on stock street tires and 14psi and it ran 13.0 at 115mph. With slicks I'm sure I could run a lower 12 ET. My 60' were really bad on the street tires.

Name:  IMG_1708_zpsh7y2sarv.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  171.8 KB

Last edited by 350VRz; 05-03-2015 at 08:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KingBaby (01-25-2016)

Quick Reply: Turbo VR6 in 350Z