Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Sfr takeover

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 AM
ogiehooker

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default dynosty

I was going to send the car to hal instead of GTM in May 2011 but didnt..biggest mistake ever..Polly woulda been done long ago, but after hearing Triji's deal, I wonder...

Did he ever get his issues sorted out? Havent sen his thread in awhile....
Old 04-16-2014, 08:31 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

someone asked for updates but he didn't respond.

Bet he unsubb'ed to try and maintain some sanity.

He has one of the most tasteful G coupes I've ever seen. Twilight blue with gold spooked volks.....
Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 AM
eZg

spokes**
Old 04-16-2014, 08:38 AM
ogiehooker

Default unsubbed...

sounds like beautiful ride...I know what you mean about the sanity...unsubbed when it was with GTM and checked out here for awhile under SFR finishing...IT'll b done when its done...I can say "been there, done that" concerning car mods... coulda had 10 bikes and a boat for the cost of this z..u.liveve and learn..or dont... one day I'll b dead and it wont have mattered at all so..... I'll just keep riding'!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 AM
eZg

Yea....it's just money......

except having people (shops) feed you crap isn't just money......and that part will take months if not years off your life if you are like me.

I had to give up my bikes when daughter was born. Just too many bad drivers out there to risk her emotional development. Had a buddy sitting at a stop light and old lady hit him from behind.

Be careful and keep moving on those donor bikes!!! haha
Old 04-17-2014, 07:54 AM
ogiehooker

Default I hear ya!

LOL and I HEAR YA on all fronts!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:03 AM
ogiehooker

Default Coolant sensor issue

Anyone have any experience with the coolant sensor not reading correctly? SFR has replaced the sensor twice.... initially, it read -87 f.....I don't know the current issue but he ordered a new Nissan unit.... getting old waiting 6wks now to fix an oil leak and temp sensor.....

ANY IDEAS ANYONE? Would like to drive the car before I die.

Last edited by ogiehooker; 04-21-2014 at 08:03 AM. Reason: sp
Old 04-21-2014, 12:26 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you did program the sensor curve into the Haltech, correct?
Old 04-22-2014, 09:01 AM
ogiehooker

Default coolant temp sensor

I don't know what Tim has done but I will pass that along...its above my head..appreciate the input!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:39 AM
ogiehooker

Default coolant sensor

Tim thinks its in the stock ecu... says a p0118 code comes up.... whatever that is...
Old 04-22-2014, 11:24 AM
str8dum1

ya thats high sensor voltage. 1st guess would be wiring short. pretty easy to diagnose with the FSM.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:29 AM
ogiehooker

Default tks!

ur giving me more info than the shop! 'TKS! Taking forever to repair that issue so it can be tuned.....
Old 04-23-2014, 06:50 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

How pissed would you be if you got it back and blew the transmission doing a burnout leaving the shop
Old 04-25-2014, 07:43 AM
ogiehooker

Default trans

LOL... nothing would surprise ne anymore! just a good reason to go ahead with TH400...

intake being built.
Attached Thumbnails Sfr takeover-intake-manifold-inside.jpg   Sfr takeover-intake-manif8ld-outside-top.jpg   Sfr takeover-sfr-intake-manifold-short-runners.jpg   Sfr takeover-sfr-intake-manifold-python-head.jpg  

Last edited by ogiehooker; 04-25-2014 at 07:44 AM. Reason: sp
Old 04-25-2014, 08:15 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ It appears you didn't reasearch before pulling the trigger on that intake. This was SFR's first intake version before they offered the twin plenum version. Its design has already been proven to be very poor and completely worthless (no better than the Kinetix you already have). It's runner design is nothing like CJM's intake. You will see no gains except in Tim's wallet. How much is Tim charging you for that POS?

You would be better off with just a polished OEM plenum and a spacer. If you want some bling, get a polished Cosworth plenum.

You've ranted and complained plenty about Sam and being *** raped by GTM, but then I see this horse$h!t... It's like deja vu all over again. Seriously dude... Pull off your rose tinted glasses about Tim and get your car the hell out of there before you waste any more money on snake oil, empty promises, and excuses. If you need any more proof, look at how Tim claims on his website that their built 5AT will hold 750whp! He told me the same BS on the phone years ago even though he has yet to prove to the community that he has even successfully built a 750whp VQ, let alone one with a 5AT. LOL

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 04-25-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:58 AM
str8dum1

coffin intakes can make really big power. Eric, how do you know there are not velocity stacks inside that thing? What else makes you conclude its ****? curious?

I wanna get one kinda like that with a big inlet for a LS dbw throttle body.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:17 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by str8dum1
coffin intakes can make really big power. Eric, how do you know there are not velocity stacks inside that thing? What else makes you conclude its ****? curious?

I wanna get one kinda like that with a big inlet for a LS dbw throttle body.
Of course they can. CJM's version 1 intake is a perfect example. I remember some old posts and pics about this SFR intake manifold. NA results were similar to my experience and others with the Kinetix; a loss in power or no gains. It did not have smooth velocity stacks like CJM's. The inside was more like the Kinetix as I recall. Look how shallow/thin and flat that plenum is. It doesn't look like there is enough height/depth to accommodate decent velocity stacks. I remember seeing it on his website before he came out with his twin plenum design. But I don't see it on his website anymore.

Does that thing honestly look like it will deliver balanced air flow to all 6 cylinders?

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 04-25-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Eno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a lot of the build was driven by a form > function mentality- and in that case the coffin not being better than the kinetix may not be as important as the fact that you said it wasn't worse. Polished stock plenums and polished cosies are EVERYWHERE now... pop a hood and not seeing one of those two options is downright unusual.

I know there are some heavy hitting parts in there as well and some good potential for power- and there will still be loads even if the plenum isn't a contributing factor.

So while I have no doubt you're right about what you're saying and in your interpretation of what you're seeing... being different may be worth the extra horses.

Now then... how reliable will it be? Will it be prone to leaking? will the thin material be prone to catastrophic failure... Will that uneven flow (assuming what you're saying about the absence of stacks is correct) make it a nightmare to tune? I'm not sure if that increased potential is worth being (that) different.

Last edited by Eno; 04-25-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:52 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

^ True. But that coffin manifold looks like crap IMO. Here is a better pic of the intake runners from the bottom...

The CJM version 1 was a superior coffin style intake design. Look at the difference in the placement and orientation of the runners...

One of the big reasons the polished OEM+spacer and the Cosworth are so commonplace is because they work and are proven. If OP wants something different and more rare, the CJM intake manifold is a good option. I don't know if Charles will still make the coffin version though. I like the front throttle body location and larger plenum of the newer version, but that might be more difficult for OP to route to his horizontal flow GTM intercooler.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:51 PM
ogiehooker

Default Sfr manifold

You are right Eno..form over function...my AT currently, will limit me to aprox. 550 WHP, therefore, I have the ability to easily overpower the jatco trans=I'm not worried about WHP loss. I gave up long ago of having a HP monster...at least IF and until I decide to switch the trans to a th400.

REASONS FOR SWITCHING FROM KINETIX TO COFFIN STYLE INTAKE:
I decided to change the intake, Tim didn't even mention it...was my idea...
stock intake is heavy, heat sink, too many bolts to remove, not as much access to items around/under it.. ugly to me even polished...takes up too much room ditto for the cosworth...
This new intake will be polished and clear ceramic coated

1. The kinetix manifold has been known to split under boost....
2. CJM isn't available and cost 2500-3000 SFR=1000-even a used sound performance one was 1500-2000.
3. Kinetix-can't change spark plugs on both sides w/o removing intake so I wanted something easy for ME to work on.
4. I knda like the 'center of mass" look of the coffin better than the kinetix...allows me to put some valve cover bling on both sides to "balance" the engine compartment look.
5. can't reach the coolant temp sensor that;s causing Tim so much grief w/o pulling the manifold, so, I am eliminating that future problem again now.

Anyway, at this point, I'm just trying to make the thing look good (to MY preference) rather than go fast...

GTM still sucks and Tim DOES **** me off but hey, whatcha gonna do...EVERYBODY sucks..ask triji...lol

I got my bikes and they keep me happy...I'll end up with an expensive POS one day, but it's MY POS...and I'm ok with that...I don't live for this car...it isn't my life, just a mistake I made once ....

Last edited by ogiehooker; 04-26-2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: left out

Quick Reply: Sfr takeover