Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech/stock block let go...so *knock on wood, reliable build thread ;-)

Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Colombo

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

so a update blower is off the car and while we were pulling we decided to prep for pulling the motor. everything was bagged and tagged and all connectors were taped and labeled.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Colombo

another random question for the Vortech gods.. what is this set screw in the front of our blowers designed for? http://thumbsnap.com/s/ydaOpape.jpg here is a good image showing it!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:18 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for a boost gauge.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Colombo

Originally Posted by str8dum1
for a boost gauge.
hmm i assume its a more "true" reading as apposed to off the intake manifold.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

No!

Boost Pressure @ the Blower Outlet will always be higher than at the intake, because there is pressure drop when the Air is pushed thru obstacles, like the Intercooler and many feet of pipe and pipe bends. When people refer to Boost Pressure it's @ the Intake.( what the Motor Sees)

This is why well designed SC piping, and a Hi Quality Intercooler is Beneficial.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 AM
Colombo

good information here gents
Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Colombo

so if you read the whole post you caught the part where a vortech representative bad mouthed 928m in an email. i am now getting told by vortech rep to remove these post :-)
Old 03-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Colombo

pretty sad that they can talk the **** but once i let carl know and the forums they freak.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Colombo

this is the post they want deleted. so lets review again. vortech rep talking **** about 928m.. because they bitched i will remove the names.

Originally Posted by Colombo
ok some background i contacted 928m about having my vortech revamped and install the impeller and bearings. i had to contact vortech themselves to find out what trim my V2 blower was. (turned out to be a SC)... this is what vortech told me

READ EMAIL FROM BOTTOM TO TOP BEING LAST EMAIL SENT

Ok.. well a H/D blower would be better suited for what your doing.. but let me talk to my engineering guys and see what they think

Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 1:07 PM
To:
Subject: Re: 350z vortech trim

I'm running a much larger intercooler 600cc injectors and uprev tuning is there any upgrade to not over spin the blower I know your feelings on 928m but they claim they have an upgraded bearing and seal kit. Would it be safe to run the si trim?

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 1, 2013, at 3:42 PM, @vortechsuperchargers.com> wrote:

Ok so right now you are over spinning the unit, your impeller speed is 56653.1 so switching to the Si will help boost wise but its not good for your bearings. Im gonna say you would probably be in the 14 psi range.. which unless you are running a custom cooler already the cooler will start to be a restriction.
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 12:21 PM
To:

11-12 max at around 7000 goes over 10 for the last maybe 900rpm

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 1, 2013, at 3:13 PM, vortechsuperchargers.com> wrote:

What are you making boost wise right now with the 2.87 and What rpm are you shifting at? And that changes everything since the pulley has already been changed..

Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 12:10 PM
To:

Right now I'm on stock blower w 2.87 so if I swapped to the si trim w the 2.87 could I expect boost in the 13-17 range? And that's a great deal can the blower w si trim and 2.87 handle spinning that fast without any issue? Still trying to understand it all but if I can get same results as I've seen w 928 (increase of a few pounds) so for around 720 plus the price of me shipping out blower I can have the si trim volute and impeller and a rebuilt blower?

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 1, 2013, at 2:59 PM, @vortechsuperchargers.com> wrote:

In most applications just changing the impeller will give about a 2 psi increase, that’s what most people that have done the upgrade from the S to Si trim have reported. It also gives you the ability to make more boost if you wanted too.. let me give you an example of the differences, the unit you have right now is the sc trim, which if it were brand new it would be the Sci impeller. This impeller is also the same impeller we used in our 86-93 mustang entry level kit

Current version impellers
Sci impeller 3.33 pulley6” crank 5-6psi our of the box on the 5.0 mustang

Si impeller same 3.33 pulley 7” crank 8-10 psi out of the box on the 5.0 mustang

You can achieve the same result by spinning the SC faster but you have to work the blower harder to get there.

So to answer your question as to how much boost increase it really comes down to how fast your turning the blower, but I would say at a minimum your going to get about a 2 psi increase, it does not include replacing the bearings and seals if you would like to have the bearings and seals replaced that cost is separate and runs $390.95.

Turn around time right now is averaging about 2 weeks and all you would need to do to send it to us is give me your serial number on your blower and phone number and return shipping address.

Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 11:34 AM
To:

How much boost increase can be expected with the si trim upgrade also does that include replacing seals and bearings if not what would it cost to have it all done? Do you guys offer the service? Like i ship blower to u and u guys install all new seals/bearings si trim. Just built my block and top end and want a little more out of the blower I had read lots of info on the 928m w good Dyno results but I will take your advice what is also the turn around time on me sending blower then getting it back very interested

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 1, 2013, at 11:42 AM, <
@vortechsuperchargers.com> wrote:

John,

The unit you have is an SC trim. I do not know if you can upgrade it through 928 motorsports, we do not recommend using any other parts that are not designed for the unit by us. 928 MOTORSPORTS IS NOT AN AUTHORIZED PARTS MANUFACTURE FOR OUR UNIT. We did not do any development or testing with the impeller they claim is better then what we have, although they did basically take our impeller and copy it, which makes no sense as to how its better when they are just copying the larger version of the impeller shown in their picture. Any particular reason as to why you want to use theirs instead of sending it to us and just upgrading to the Si trim? Below is a picture of 928’s advertisement from their website, this claim is ridiculous, what they don’t tell anyone about this picture is that the blades of the Sc were cut down on the ends to prevent the unit from making certain amounts of boost on a stock motor was not capable of handling it in a safe manor with the tune we provided for particular vehicles. What they are trying to sell people on is that the impeller they are making is “BETTER” yet it is similar to our old S trim impeller, which we no longer make. Notice how the blades on their impeller goes all the way the end instead of stopping ½” short, well that is the difference between the old S trim and the OLD SC trim impeller. We have since made technological advances in impeller design and the S/SC impeller do not even exist anymore. If they had an idea as to what actual causes were they would know that its not the impeller speed that causes impeller damage. Its overspinning the bearing and too small of a by pass valve for the amount of boost that causes impeller damage. The Veins maybe be designed to operate at that 60,000 rpm but do they have data to prove it? I would honestly say your decision to make on going through with it or not but I have had many people who have done this and damaged their units. In fact just had a guy two days ago who had them rebuild it because of a leak on his unit and two returns to them later and it still leaks.. their answer for him was “we don’t know why it leaks, sorry”. So again all I can suggest is proceed with caution should you go that route. If you like we do offer the upgrade to the Si impeller and volute. It is 329.00 for a satin unit and 392.00 for a polished unit.
vortech rep

<image001.png>

Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:10 PM
To:vortech rep so they will be quiet ;-)
Subject: 350z vortech trim

hello my serial number on my blower is serial # 36785 i need to know what trim i have to determine if i can upgrade to the 928m impeller. thanks for any information you may be able to help me with.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

While the Vortech kit is well engineered, some of their tech are not very good

I've previously dealt with Mariano with my SI blower rebuild and other stuff and he was pretty good; but I dealt with the guy who you dealt in you posts with for my YSi rebuild and he basically said my blower was totalled...Carl gladly fixed it for me

I feel like the new crop of Vortech techs can handle just basic seal and bearing replacements, but when it comes to more complicated repairs they either charge you the moon or just count the hardware as totalled...

pretty sad that they can talk the **** but once i let carl know and the forums they freak.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Colombo

Originally Posted by 350z006
While the Vortech kit is well engineered, some of their tech are not very good

I've previously dealt with Mariano with my SI blower rebuild and other stuff and he was pretty good; but I dealt with the guy who you dealt in you posts with for my YSi rebuild and he basically said my blower was totalled...Carl gladly fixed it for me

I feel like the new crop of Vortech techs can handle just basic seal and bearing replacements, but when it comes to more complicated repairs they either charge you the moon or just count the hardware as totalled...
agreed.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Colombo

so blower is boxed up and ready to ship out to 928m. also picked up a deal on a mishimoto radiator/radcap for cheap lightly used. will be running either a mishimoto lower temp thermostat or a nismo if i can find one at a good price. these combined with some water wetter and the HR head gasket mod to the block should help cool the motor in those harsh track conditions in FL.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:08 AM
Colombo

blower sent off for rebuild/impeller upgrade. also for my fellow military members 928m does give a military discount! thanks carl!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:52 AM
Colombo

should be picking up a SSV manifold from Triji here soon, ordered a AAM pan spacer, picked up some topspeed headers recently and had them ceramic coated all for super super cheap so i will run these for now. spoke with kyle from IPP and was told my motor is around 3-4 weeks out so ill prob pull the motor within the next 2 weeks. picked up a mishimoto radiator still looking for/need to buy a low temp thermostat. probably going to pick up poly motor mounts and tranny mount since motor will be out.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:19 AM
str8dum1

why do you think you need a low temp thermostat? opening a low temp thermostat 1 minute before the stock one does, will do nothing for your temps.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Colombo

Originally Posted by str8dum1
why do you think you need a low temp thermostat? opening a low temp thermostat 1 minute before the stock one does, will do nothing for your temps.
i guess i figured it would be much sooner then just a minute. and sooner it flows threwout the motor i figure the better. but if it doesnt make much a difference then ill just install another factory 1 to refresh it.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Triji

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should be picking up a SSV manifold from Triji here soon
I should have more info on it tomorrow for ya... Had no chance to make a call today, was busy and there is now a 3 hour time difference so by the time I was freed up it was too late already.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Colombo

Originally Posted by Triji
I should have more info on it tomorrow for ya... Had no chance to make a call today, was busy and there is now a 3 hour time difference so by the time I was freed up it was too late already.
all good man i got weeks before motor is here and even then weeks before car will be ready for manifold to go back on so no biggie!
Old 03-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Colombo

my Z1 polyuethane engine and tranny mounts came today along with a OEM thermostat, still need to pick up a new water pump and tons of gaskets. well they sent me 370z tranny mounts but they quickly fixed the issue and are sending the correct item.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Ruthless18x

Awesome man. Post up some more pictures.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: vortech/stock block let go...so *knock on wood, reliable build thread ;-)