Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

***** AAM Competition's 350Z Twin Turbocharger System *****

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 07:01 PM
aarrgghh

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Max@AAMComp
In response to your questions
1 - Correct, no relocation or deletion of the windshield washer reservoir
2 - We replace the bulky OEM aluminum mounts with our own laser cut stainless mounts to allow for additional space, but the configuration does not change at all
3 - Correct, no modification to the front fascia grill
4 - The solenoids are standard and you shouldn't have any issue here
5 - Black

Let me know if you have any additional questions
Thanks for the quick reply. Having new engine mounts is a great touch, grinding down the factory mount sucked.

Some follow up questions.

Are the new engine mounts solid, or do they have a bushing?

I can't tell from the render, but is the PCV hose routed to the drivers side turbo inlet piping with a welded fitting? The GTM kit uses a pipe thread fitting into very thin wall piping, not my favorite solution.

I can see the MAF mount on the intercooler to plenum piping, is there an easy block out plate for those running a MAP sensor instead?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:51 PM
blue350zed

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are local or willing to get your car to MD for a few weeks, the R&D program is aggressively priced. Now would be a great time to make that decision.
I'm very far from local, and getting it to you would counter any savings I'd make for being in the R&D program. Just dropped a ton on a new body kit and moved to a new/bigger house last month. Pregnant wife wouldn't be too happy about this right now with third child on the way...but that's not to say I can't do it if I get rid of my current setup!

Last edited by blue350zed; 07-29-2014 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:02 PM
venodanz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much would the savings be? More specifically for a Base 2007 that's basically stock?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:10 AM
sales@aamcomp
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zume
What kind of bearings do these turbos use and are they oil lubricated and coolant cooled?

How did you deal with the turbo lub return oil? Your write-up says there is no modifying to the oem system except an oil pan spacer.

+ there are 2 air filters so I assume the OEM MAF is eliminated. AT cars need the MAF sensor in place to operate correctly....?

++ I see the CATS are deleted....What about emissions?
Regarding the Oil return:
We have provisions in the spacer for AN fittings for that purpose. On each side. The drains hook up there.

Regarding the MAF sensor:
Maf in charge pipe and is retained and utilized.

Regarding Emissions:
Catted Downpipes are an option.

Regarding the Bearings:
Ceramic ball bearings and specialized race materials make up the Ball Bearing system
The bearings are oil cooled and the bearing housing castings are water cooled

Great questions!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:12 AM
sales@aamcomp
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by venodanz33
How much would the savings be? More specifically for a Base 2007 that's basically stock?
PM Sent
Old 07-29-2014, 07:20 AM
sales@aamcomp
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by aarrgghh
Thanks for the quick reply. Having new engine mounts is a great touch, grinding down the factory mount sucked.

Some follow up questions.

Are the new engine mounts solid, or do they have a bushing?

I can't tell from the render, but is the PCV hose routed to the drivers side turbo inlet piping with a welded fitting? The GTM kit uses a pipe thread fitting into very thin wall piping, not my favorite solution.

I can see the MAF mount on the intercooler to plenum piping, is there an easy block out plate for those running a MAP sensor instead?
Engine Mounts:
we only replace the bracket and not the engine mounts - OEM mounts are retained

Good eye not seeing the fitting in the render because it's not included in the renderings. But there is a welded on AN fitting on driver intake tube.

We have not designed a block off plate for the maf. But if it's something people are requesting it could be done.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Zume

Regarding the Oil return:

Regarding the MAF sensor:
Maf in charge pipe and is retained and utilized.

THX for quick response-

My understanding is that the MAF sensor is in pre-compresor air just down strem of the single filter.

Name:  L1010461_zpsc6993ed4.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  82.5 KB

Name:  maf_zps8f48c2bc.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  107.7 KB
Old 07-29-2014, 12:46 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^ the JWT kit utilizes 'pull thru' maf placement. This kit along with most others utilize 'blow thru' placement, in the pressurized air before the TB which IMO is superior for MAF tuning on this platform. It doesn't matter how many filters you have on a blow thru setup with DE.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:58 PM
djamps

Originally Posted by Alberto
If I was to know a sucker who would go for this kit local, who also happened to be a non driver (they go hand in hand), could I jump in their car and get paid?
assuming it could actually do 9/10/11's and not blow up esp with you driving it
Old 07-29-2014, 01:01 PM
djamps

Are these initial manifolds going to be cast or are you guys fabbing up the first sets manually?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:37 PM
MonkeyMagic72

This thread makes me want to buy a turbo kit, especially this kit.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Zume

Originally Posted by djamps
^ the JWT kit utilizes 'pull thru' maf placement. This kit along with most others utilize 'blow thru' placement, in the pressurized air before the TB which IMO is superior for MAF tuning on this platform. It doesn't matter how many filters you have on a blow thru setup with DE.
Thanks for the input. When the kit was installed and modified many years ago Mark (SGP buddy) stated that with the HKS V-pro (gone/sold) the MAF was not needed...using MAP.

A few years later-
One of my DIY mods was to go to a 2 filter setup however Hal (Dynosty) stated that the automatic transmission needs the MAF signal for load sensing so I scraped the idea and plan on using the OEM MAF in addition the MAP.

I'm still a little vague on this but if Hal states I need the MAF I will take his word for it.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Zume

Originally Posted by Cux350z
so a $10k kit? Looks nice and the turbos are cool.

AAM, you know that the market has changed for the 350z. The last guy on here wanting to sell a kit for 10k failed. Guys on here are looking for CHEAP everything. Hell, most of them bought their Z's for under 10k and threw some busted *** wheel/tire/springs and think they should be on magazines.

They are driving the cost of used aftermarket parts into the dirt and expecting 110% performance.

Its a tough market, kudos if you can make it.

THIS

so the kit is 10K + ...so who is going to do the install and if the install is not local how will the kinks be worked out?

Install price?
Decent EMS???
This will need a brake upgrade....wheels...tires...suspension...

Seems to me one will be pushing $20K pretty fast.

Don't get me wrong...the kit looks gorgeous and excellent but I have found very few competent installers/tuners (actually only one) and support is everything.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:19 AM
sales@aamcomp
Vendor - Former Vendor

Are these initial manifolds going to be cast or are you guys fabbing up the first sets manually?
Great question djamps

The manifolds being supplied in the R & D program are the cast production version of the manifolds, no fabrication needed.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:26 AM
sales@aamcomp
Vendor - Former Vendor

THIS

so the kit is 10K + ...so who is going to do the install and if the install is not local how will the kinks be worked out?

Install price?
Decent EMS???

Don't get me wrong...the kit looks gorgeous and excellent but I have found very few competent installers/tuners (actually only one) and support is everything.

This is part of the reason we focused so much effort during development to manufacture a true "OEM" style (fitment) twin turbo system. We anticipate the installation to only take around 8 hours (our techs take between 6-9) once the engine is out. With no "custom fabrication" required or relocation of any OEM parts by the installers we are hoping that shops realize this and it becomes their kit of choice (of course the performance numbers will back everything up as well)

We are doing the install on all of our R & D kits but also have a dealer program which shops can take advantage of during this last phase of development.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:46 AM
Zume

looks like i need this-
Name:  ScreenShot2014-07-30at114427AM_zpsb79b4629.png
Views: 696
Size:  594.3 KB
Old 07-30-2014, 09:54 AM
djamps

Even without drivetrain/suspension/brake upgrades I agree that you'd be looking at an EASY $15-$20k out the door price once you factor in necessary supporting mods like clutch, exhaust, EMS, tuning (HPX MAF as well), gauges, and what not. Then add labor for install of the kit and each supporting mod... then add tax... and in the end you're still running an OEM block on borrowed time...I've been down this road more than once lol. Add forged engine internals and additional fuel system upgrades and you're past $30k - more than twice the value of most DE cars. Oh, and Brakes, suspension and drivetrain upgrades now we're at $40k + the cost of the car. All of this keeping in mind you can get used Greddy Z's fully built and ready to go for $20k or less...

THIS

Install price?
Decent EMS???

Last edited by djamps; 07-30-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:48 PM
blue350zed

Wow. A lot of negativity on here. Almost sounds like some people think you're crazy for developing new and better parts for our cars. How dare you.

Keep it up, AAM. I will have this kit.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:59 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

It's blow back from the early boost era when cats spent gazillions of dollars just to blow their motors! The rushed and high horsepower goals of the earlier owners has left a deep womb!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:20 AM
blue350zed

Ha...you said womb.

I agree, but this is going to be true for all boosted applications.

Quick Reply: ***** AAM Competition's 350Z Twin Turbocharger System *****