_____________________________Original Post Below_______________________________________
The Story Behind The Project
It all started about 2 years ago, when one of our exhaust customers was not satisfied with any of the forced induction kits available for his Nissan. He knew we already made one of the best turbocharger systems for the Nissan GT-R and asked us a question as simple as "Why doesn't AAM Competition make a Turbocharger system for my Z?". Well this question started to make its way around the company and would eventually turn into one of the largest R&D projects AAM Competition has ever undertaken.
We had our homework cut out for us. There was a lot of research to do before we even thought about kicking the tires (no pun intended) as the Forced Induction market for the 350Z, while not having a huge selection of kits, had several options currently available which were all manufactured by reputable companies (we had already installed many of them on customer vehicles). So if we wanted to provide the market with a new 350Z forced induction system, it would have to be something substantially different and provide a greater end result than what was already available. Our focus was to provide the market with the most reliable, most powerful, OEM style twin turbocharger system for the 350Z.
We wanted to utilize the most innovative, reliable, OEM grade, and highest performing turbocharger available. We did not want to cut any corners on the most important component of the project. Our industry search for the most advanced turbocharger led us to a relationship with BorgWarner.
BorgWarner had just recently released a new line of Turbochargers called EFR, or Engineered For Racing. It was clear from the start that the EFR turbochargers would be a competitive advantage due to their advanced technology, reliability, fitment, and superior performance.
Here is a cutaway rendering of the BorgWarner EFR Turbocharger -
Low Inertia Turbine Wheel
o Gamma-Ti, or Titanium Aluminide, turbine wheel cuts turbine inertia by roughly 50% dramatically improving turbo response. This is the first time this type of material is available to the public in a turbocharger. The compound is a strange compound as it's not quite ceramic or metal but a inter-metallic. It can withstand much higher temperatures than titanium or ceramic individually and weighs much less. Utilizing the Gamma-TI for the turbine wheel is a huge benefit to the turbocharger significantly reducing turbo lag.
Heat Resistant Turbine Housings
o Cast stainless steel turbine housings improve durability and offer an extremely smooth internal flow channel. Turbine housings have thin walls to reduce weight and thermal inertia.
High Turbine Efficiency
o "Superback” and “Fullback” back-disk shapes offer very high efficiencies. The Superback shape adds a curved profile to the back-disk and has the effect of lowering centrifugal stress and permitting higher rotational speeds. The Fullback shape extends the hub deck all the way to the OD of the wheel and by doing this the turbine flow leaving the housing volute is better guided into the wheel blade cavities. The combination of these two shapes is a significant step forward in turbine geometry yielding better efficiency, quicker response, and higher power.
Enhanced Turbo Response
o EFR turbochargers use a dual-row ball bearing cartridge with ceramic ***** and metal cage. This bearing system provides substantial friction reduction at low turbo speeds and in the process helps improve turbo response. Metal cage improves the durability of the ball bearing assembly.
o Integrated compressor recirculation valve (CRV) to help avoid compressor surge and backflow during a throttle lift event. This feature helps to simplify installation and improves reliability.
Forged Milled Compressor Wheels (FMW)
o EFR turbochargers contain wheels that are fully milled from forged aluminum, commonly known as “billet”. Cut from custom forgings, their strength exceeds that which is available from typical bar-stock and also exceeds the material properties of an aluminum casting. Greatly improving the reliability of the turbocharger.
Speed Sensor Mounting Convenience
o Turbocharger speed sensor mounting provisions are also supplied on every compressor cover. Speed sensors are sold separately for those who want to push all boundaries and monitor their turbocharger wheel speed in extreme racing conditions.
Boost Control Solenoid Valve (BCSV)
o An integrated boost control solenoid valve (BCSV) is included with every EFR turbo. This simplifies adding adjustable boost control for those who want to run over wastegate pressure (10psi+).
High Flow Integrated Wastegate
o Purpose designed large wastegate ports give the EFR turbochargers the capability of handling the flow requirements of high performance applications without the hassle and reliability concerns of installing an external wastegate. This significantly aids in eliminating dreaded boost creep.
o The fabrication and installation task is simplified with adjustable wastegates that allows the installer to set the base boost pressure.
These features and advantages make the BorgWarner EFR Turbocharger the best aftermarket turbocharger that money can buy. They perform above the competition in all categories, performance, response, installation, appearance, and overall value. BorgWarner has engineered an excellent turbocharger - INDYCAR uses the BorgWarner EFR turbochargers in their race vehicles
. Being proven and number one for INDYCAR it is perfect for Advanced Automotive Manufacturing & Competition's turbocharger systems.
Additional features of the Advanced Automotive Manufacturing & Competition 350Z Turbocharger System include:
• Fully Developed in CAD for OEM quality fit, finish, reliability, consistency and quality with a priority on performance
• Precision Tubular Cast 304 Stainless Manifolds
• Utilizes all EFR features including internal wastegate and built in CRV bypass valve reducing the overall installation time, limiting bottlenecks, providing the highest quality turbocharger available, and improving long term reliability
• Stainless heat shields
• Fully terminated motorsport grade oil and coolant line systems/fittings that integrate seamlessly with the vehicle providing long-term reliable operation
• AN fittings all around with high-temp shielding on lines where needed
• Watercooled Turbochargers for maximum reliability and power
• OEM style spring clamps and high-temp silicone vacuum line
• Proprietary oil pan and pickup space for additional oil capacity as well as provisions for turbo oil drains
• Large (25x9x3.5) vertical flow intercooler with custom cast end tanks complete with mounting bracket
• Polished aluminum 6061 "aircraft grade" intercooler piping and intake kit
• High-temp and high-pressure 4-ply reinforced silicone couplers
• Stainless T-bolt clamps
• High-flow intake filters for a reliable air filtration providing maximum flow
• New polished aluminum coolant expansion tank.
• Twin 3" T-304 Stainless downpipes with optional high-flow catalytic converters - ending at the stock midpipe location - compatible with most any 350Z Y pipe/exhaust
• In-tank, high flow Walbro 255 fuel pump for improved flow
• Exceptional boost response (best in the market) time due to BorgWarner EFR turbine wheel/ball bearing system
• All necessary OEM grade hardware for easy installation including components to upgrade PCV system to be forced induction compatible, all gaskets, and clear instructions
The end result is that Advanced Automotive Manufacturing and Competition has produced the most powerful, OEM style fitment turbocharger system with innovative technology and long term reliability. These turbocharger systems are capable of producing maximum power and with a built motor can easily achieve results in excess of 800+ wheel HORSEPOWER.
Here are a few renderings of the final twin turbocharger system. I will be updating this post periodically over the next few weeks with additional pictures, dyno charts, videos, etc.. Want to see anything specific, just ask!
We want to make ourselves available to answer any questions you may have. Allow me to address some of the more common questions below in no particular order.
- What comes with the turbocharger system?
- The following key items will come with the Turbocharger System:
• 2 x BorgWarner EFR 6758 Turbochargers
• Integrated Ultra Responsive CRV's (Compressor Recirculation Valve)
• Integrated Adjustable Wastegates
• High-Flow CAD Designed 304 Stainless Tubular Cast Manifolds
• Large High Flow Front Mount Intercooler with Cast Aluminum Endtanks
• Lightweight Polished 6061 Aluminum Intercooler Piping Kit
• Lightweight Polished 6061 Aluminum Turbocharger Intake Tubing and Filters
• 4-ply Reinforced Silicone Hoses and Stainless T-Bolt Clamps
• 3" V-Band 304 Stainless Steel Downpipes
• Pre-Made and Terminated Line Kit for Oil and Coolant Distribution
• Pre-Made and Terminated Oil and Coolant Distribution Line Kits
• CNC Machined Fittings and Adapters for Oil and Coolant Integration
• CNC Aluminum Oil Pan Spacer and Oil Pickup Spacer
• High Temp Silicone Hose for Vacuum Lines with OEM Style Spring Clamps
• 304 Stainless Steel Heat Shields
• PCV System Upgrades for Forced Induction Application
• New Polished Aluminum Coolant Expansion Tank
• Complete Hardware and Gasket Kit
• High-Flow Walbro 255 Liter Per Hour Fuel Pump
• High-Flow High Impedance Injectors and PNP Injector Harnesses
• Engine Management - ECM Programming
• Complete Installation Instructions
- What vehicles will initially be supported?
- Both the Auto/Manual 350Z (DE & HR) and Auto/Manual 370Z will be supported on initial release.
- What other vehicles do you plan to add?
- The Infiniti G35 and G37 will be released shortly, including the sedan.
- Will the NISMO models be supported?
- Will right hand drive models be supported?
- We do not have access to a right hand drive model in our area. Anybody interested with a right hand drive model please contact us.
- What size is the exhaust?
- The downpipes are 3" for maximum power and reliability.
- What will be used for tuning?
- Uprev will be utilized for tuning. A base startup tune will be supplied with all turbocharger systems and custom tuning options will be available.
- Will there be a "tuner" kit available for customers who already have a tuning solution?
- Yes. The "Tuner" version of the turbocharger system will come with everything minus the Uprev tune/system, fuel injectors and fuel system.
- What size is the intercooler tubing?
- To achieve lightning fast response and maximum power we utilize 2 x 2.5" tubing from the turbochargers to the intercooler. This is the optimal size to keep the system pressurized and limit the pressure drop, but big enough to sustain high HORSEPOWER. The intercooler piping post intercooler (from the intercooler to the engine/throttle body) is a single 3" light weight aluminum which is fully polished for "show car" quality look.
- Is the intercooler one or two cores?
- The 350Z intercooler features one single core with twin inlets and a single outlet for maximum power and reliability. The core design utilizes vertical flow technology, which is proven to outperform standard horizontal flow intercooler configuration - much like the design found on the Nissan GT-R. The intercooler features CAD designed casted endtanks engineered for optimal flow and efficiency while minimizing pressure drop and ensuring maximum long-term reliability.
- Are the intercooler tubes welded together?
- Some sections of the intercooler tubes are welded together. To ensure maximum flow, all of the intercooler tube bends are done with a mandrel bending process and we control the quality of the bends and limit the number of bends required, maximizing power. Mandrel bending is a process in which the full diameter of the pipe is retained when it is bent vs. standard bending techniques that reduce the internal diameter of the pipe. In Mandrel bending there is a minimal distance between bend radi. This distance dictates how close two bends can be together without having to cut & weld the piping. This occasionally leads to bends which are too close to other bends, therefore requiring welding and ensuring the full diameter of the pipe is retained.
- Explain the air filter placement
- Keeping our focus on a true OEM style kit without relocating any OEM parts, we strived to keep the washer reservoirs and other stock components in place. We have placed the air filters as far from the engine as possible achieving a perfect balance between keeping the vehicle as stock & easily serviceable as we can while yielding maximum power and long term reliability by limiting direct heat.
- What are the exhaust manifolds made of?
- Cast 304 stainless steel and CNC machined for flanged surfaces for a leak free, powerful and reliable exhaust system.
- What type of exhaust housing is used?
- The BorgWarner EFR housing - stainless exhaust housing for maximum power and reliability with internal wastegate positioning for optimal flow & response without surge.
- Will the wastegate be recirculated back into the system?
- Yes, since the BorgWarner EFR turbochargers feature an OEM style internal wastegate it will internally (within the turbocharger itself) recirculate back into the system for maximum power. Unlike other turbocharger systems on the market which use an external wastegate, by using the proven BorgWarner OEM style turbocharger setup you will eliminate boost creep issues. The integrated internal wastegate also saves weight, improves reliability, decreases pesky leaks associated with external wastegate setups, and decreases installation trouble when trying to pipe the external wastegate back into the system.
- Will this system come with an electronic boost controller?
- No, this will be an optional upgrade, but the installer will have the ability to initially configure the setup between 5-10psi using the integrated wastegate actuators. This helps reduce the need for a boost controller, simplifying installation and reducing overall cost.
-What if I want to run more boost pressure (PSI)?
- The BorgWarner EFR turbochargers have an integrated boost control solenoid valve (BCSV) and the installer will have the ability to configure the wastegate actuators between 5-10 PSI. AAM Competition will offer an optional boost controller which will work in conjunction with the built in BCSV solenoids for those who want to run more boost. The release date for the optional AAM Competition boost controller is mid-November.
Alternatively, for those who are interested in using an aftermarket boost controller or who may already own one, the BorgWarner turbochargers do allow for the use of a boost controllers by simply bypassing the built in BCSV and configuring the boost controller as you would on any turbocharged system.
- What size are the silicone couplers?
- We only use high thermal protective reinforced 4-ply silicone for maximum reliability.
- Will this system be compatible with aftermarket cat back systems?
- We cannot speak for ALL of the aftermarket cat back systems available on the market, but we can say since this turbocharger system features OEM style fitment and is designed to mate with the OEM system it will be compatible with the majority of all high quality cat back systems (including our own AAM Competition 350Z 2.5" and 3" True Dual Systems, wink wink. Ok - sorry for the sales plug here).
FAQ Continued Below