Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

PLEASE HELP! limp mode, turbo overspooling

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Speednz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP! limp mode, turbo overspooling

Hey guys ill try to make it short as possible. Got a few problems. I have a 03 z touring. Dturbocharded it about a year ago. Ill mention that i dared to put together my own kit and welded together a mock of a sts rear mount turbo setup. (Including oil pump,550cc injectors ans 255lph fuel pump). I bought tuner version of uprev and had a local dyno tune it. Ran pretty good until i wrapped it around a telephone pole.. i took the challenge of buying a chassis and conpletely rebuilt the z from ground up. You can see that thread here

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...-new-post.html

So i finally finished and decided to put the turbo back on.. and heres the issues..

1. So i gun it in 1st and it will not really "redline" but it just acts like it doesnt want to go above 4500. Which is right where i start building boost. Then i can shift to second and once again as soon as i get 1 psi it will start almost restricting the air/gas in my opinion. It bounce back and forward and the whole car shakes. 3Rd will let me go to about 5k but then 4-6th gears it is perfect. I build up to 9psi and its smooth as can be. Pulled the plugs today and i cant tell if its running lean or rich. (My af guage is broke. Yes i know i need to replace it).

2. I should mention that that i have the dreaded abs/vdc/brake lights on and have ordered a couple parts (cam position sensor and other cheap things) in hopes of fixing that. But the car had 11 codes when i checked it the other day lol... the main ones i can remember that stood out were ; throttle body voltage, fuel pressure something, power steering switch. I kinda wanna think that the throttle body is getting a bad reading and its shuttering under boost and thsts whats causing the limp mode.

3. I did a pressure test on my intercooler piping and connected it to the coupling that my turbo is connected to (so the turbo isnt getting pressure, just all the piping leading to my manifold. And i start to pressurize it and guess what happens? Oil starts to drip out of the cold side of the turbo...? What? Like how does pressurizing the manifold cause oil to leak out of the turbo? This blew my mind. And it leaking air from the upper intake plenum like crazy. CAn i put sealant on this and torque it down or is that a big no no? Also i should mention it snokes a little when i get up to 4-5psi boost. Im thibking this is due to my low oil viscosity and plan on changing it when my oil pressure switch comes in.

If anyvody has insight on anything going on please give me your opinion. Im a service tech but im stumped on this. Thanks! Oh and i have a video of the limp mode abd a bunch of pics ill post when i get home
Old 07-29-2014, 01:51 PM
tcode

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

When you pressure just one side of the turbo charger, it might leak oil through seal. Once turbo operates normally, both sides are pressured, cold with boost, hot with exhaust gases and that is kind of equilibrium so oil don't passes through a seal, assuming turbo shaft and seal aren't worn.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:48 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to start by sorting out each code and stay out of boost. You are going to blow up pretty quickly otherwise. Use baby steps with your boost, man.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:19 PM
Speednz

Tcode, im saying i didnt pressurize the turbo at all! I put my homemade leak tester inbetween the turbo nd the manifold! So the turbo wasnt pressurized at all. The only thing that wouod make sense is the oil lines somehow ger pressurized when i fill the manifold with pressure while the engine is off.

Djamps, i totally agree.. i should mention that after i wrote down the codes i cleared it and none of them havw come back.. ive been drivng it to work everyday for the past few days and no check engine just the slip,abs,vdc lights. Btw changed both speed sensors today and that didnt fix it so waiting for more parts to come in to hopefully fix that issue
Old 07-29-2014, 07:31 PM
djamps

Steering position sensor (even just mis-adjusted), wheel speed sensors (sometimes just the spacing alone), and brake fluid levels can all cause that without throwing typical codes (they usually only show up in the ABS module not the ECM/CEL). If it were the TB you'd have codes immediately. Are you truely in limp mode (high idle, barely any throttle available) or is it just VDC that's offline? First thing I'd do is hook up a logger and start monitoring every sensor related to the ABS system starting with the wheel speeds. Don't throw more parts at it until you do .

Last edited by djamps; 07-29-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:30 PM
Speednz

A little timeline

The new chassis

Name:  964A0854-74CE-4780-9439-C49B747103BB.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  180.2 KB

Name:  0A393D4C-F4B1-4898-A727-656728B95BB1.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  84.4 KB
Name:  1F34BEFA-55C8-42FC-B21E-C0CAE8F442F6.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  143.5 KB

Name:  0723140936b.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  96.0 KB

The guy that tuned my z says that he thinks I need to re gap the plugs. But i don't think it's misfiring.. but I plan on putting new plugs in tomorrow, what should I gap them at and what plugs do you guys recommend for f/i?
Name:  0729141047.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  95.1 KB
Old 07-30-2014, 11:39 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

zip tie pipe and hose to a moving sway bar FTW!

gap is set by misfire. stock gap should be fine with your setup, other close is a hair and try again. doesnt sound like any of your issues.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:31 PM
djamps

Looks like some oil consumption in that cyl.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Speednz

My charge piping is conpletely clean though! No oil goimg through the intake. But i feel like its running rich, because before the turbo i would get ~28mpg and now im getting ~16 literally same exact tune. All i did was bolt on a turbo and pipes. I just put new pvc in and plan on putting the new cam position sensor n tonorrow. But i just drove it hard and imo it feels and sounds like its flooding out when i start buildimg boost. Not sure if its my throttle body or maf that is causing the mess up but im stumped. It not in "limp mode" because its only when i get to 1psi. If i hold it at 50-75% throttle i wont build boost and i can get it to redline. So i know its not in limp mode its just not liking boost for some reason
Old 07-30-2014, 06:00 PM
djamps

Did you remember to change the MAF too or did you run stock maf on both setups?
Old 07-30-2014, 06:05 PM
Drako_MDx

Not sure if you already mentioned it but I didn't see it anywhere... what are you using for tuning?

The codes you have can occur from both pressurized side, exhaust leaks and even vacuum leaks. In your current setup... it wouldn't be that far fetched with all the extra piping. I'd start with that route first before spending any money buying sensors.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Speednz

Stock maf on both setups. And ive got the tuner version of uprev osiris. I actually tried to plug it up a couple days ago to see my a/f and check a few other things and it says its not recognizng my cable. Not sure if its because i reset my computor or what but i need to call them and get that sorted out. And what route are you suggesting? And btw the slip/vdc/abs lights where on before i put the turbo back on. So im assuming they are not related
Old 07-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Speednz

p1211- injector control pressure sensor above/below desired

p1122- electronic throttle control performance pronlem(online says could be caused by faulty throttle control actuator)

p1564- ascd steering switch(this explains why my cruise control doesnt work)

p0123-throttle position sensor switch circuit high imput (also forgot to mention that the throttle body harness clip was chiped off in the wreck. this could cause a poor electrical connectiom amd this might be
my problem

p0102-mass or volume air flow circuit low imput

p0113- intake air temperature sensor circuit high

p0223- throttle position sensor/switch 2 circuit high impute

p2135-throttle position sensor circuit range/performance

And ill note that I got all of these when I first slapped the turbo on about a week and a half ago. Cleared them and my CEL hasn't come back on since... surprisingly
Old 07-30-2014, 11:43 PM
Drako_MDx

Sort out your Tuner Cable issue first so you can make sure you have a tune currently working on your ride. If you're on the stock tune and floor your car on boost... you'll lean out really quickly and car may throw a crap load of CEL.

Then use osiris to data log and cruise around your neighborhood and highway a bit for Data.

From what you described on your original post on how your car reacts... it could be an intake leak. This will cause your car to feel like it's going into limp mode when creating boost. The car will drag ***... I know this from experiense... I was like WTF.... when it first happened. A good sign that this is happening is if your AFR on idle are random as hell going from really lean to rich.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:36 AM
Speednz

When you say intake leak you mean from the manifold right? I think i included that in my original post. I did a leak test and the only place im loosing a little pressure is from the gasket aroynd my upper intake plenum. Is ita. Bad idea for me to take that off and put high heat sealant on there? I have the bolts ovwr torque specs and its still leaking lots of air. And yes!!! Ut almost feels slower than before the turbo lol thanks for the info!
Old 07-31-2014, 06:34 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Get a new gasket. People have used sealant for the kinetix plenum, but if you're using oem just get the proper gasket
Old 08-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Speednz

Ver dissapointing test drive this morning.. i was outside until about midnight last night replacing all the spark plugs and put sealant on the plenum. (One of the spark plugs was covered in white corrosive stuff) looks like pre ignition but its weird that it was only one. But when i took the penum off i about died. Oil everywhere. I know its normal to have a little but its a puddle sitting in the plenum and it was all in my charge piping. Im thinking it could be spraying onto my MAF and throwing a false air volume which could be the cause of it running crazy.

On a bright note i was able to fix the osiris uprev this morning but didnt have enough time to really moniter anything. But i did look at the abs moniter and i see that one of my speed sensors is throwing it off. And i also checked my codes and im getting a new "evap system" code. Could this be related to the boost?

But when i drove it this morning it actually seems worse. Now that i have little to no boost leaks its starting to limit my throttle at 0 psi..
Old 08-01-2014, 02:05 PM
djamps

Your turbo is blowing oil... you can see it on your plug too.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:17 PM
cashmoney03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time for a rebuild.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Speednz

I rebuilt it less than a month ago when i decided to put it back on, new seals and bearings. But there was a small crack/hole in the center bearng housing. It was on the cold side of the housing and i put a lot of jb weld on it and hoped it wouldnt leak.. but apparently my jb weld let me down.. so ill havw to order a new bearing housing but that should have no affiliation to my car acting up i would assume

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! limp mode, turbo overspooling