Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Dyno results-----Supercharged

Old 08-31-2014, 08:30 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Wouldnr depends on the size of the supercharger?
This is all FI 350z (OEM motor vs. built block, turbo vs. SC, HR vs. DE, etc.) all at different elevations all mashed together! The trend line should iron some of this out to create an average. The OP is below the average though for his sc kit. There are two or three guys here running very similar belt-driven turbos (non-roots style supercharger) all making similar boost but getting higher numbers.

Originally Posted by t0rqu3
The car first made 4psi and 280whp due to UR small crank pulley and 440cc injec. Then going back to stock crank it made 10psi and made 370WHp.
This sounds about right, maybed a little low, but much more on target.

After going with 1000cc injec the boost went to 13psi but they could only extract 20whp!!!
You said UPREV Tune right? I'm not an Uprev guy (for better or worse) but are you using a OEM/Stock Mass Airflow Meter?

Someone will correct me here - but Uprev uses the MAF to tune right? Do you think the OP's 13psi is moving more air than the MAF (assuming it's OEM/Stock) can meter?

How can one tell the engine is knocking??
You'll know when pistons come flying out of your hood!! Just kidding - most likely you are not knocking, if you don't have any check engine lights.

Did you get a dyno sheet with you air:fuel ratio on it? If not, you may want to go back and see if they can reupload your data and put whp, A:F ratio and boost levels all on one page.

Other things to consider and/or research right now:
you may want to look into a return fuel system
the Uprev MAF
a (if I had a god-damn nickel everytime I mentioned this) oil cooler
Old 08-31-2014, 04:56 PM
t0rqu3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bealljk
This is all FI 350z (OEM motor vs. built block, turbo vs. SC, HR vs. DE, etc.) all at different elevations all mashed together! The trend line should iron some of this out to create an average. The OP is below the average though for his sc kit. There are two or three guys here running very similar belt-driven turbos (non-roots style supercharger) all making similar boost but getting higher numbers.

This sounds about right, maybed a little low, but much more on target.

You said UPREV Tune right? I'm not an Uprev guy (for better or worse) but are you using a OEM/Stock Mass Airflow Meter?

Someone will correct me here - but Uprev uses the MAF to tune right? Do you think the OP's 13psi is moving more air than the MAF (assuming it's OEM/Stock) can meter?

You'll know when pistons come flying out of your hood!! Just kidding - most likely you are not knocking, if you don't have any check engine lights.

Did you get a dyno sheet with you air:fuel ratio on it? If not, you may want to go back and see if they can reupload your data and put whp, A:F ratio and boost levels all on one page.

Other things to consider and/or research right now:
you may want to look into a return fuel system
the Uprev MAF
a (if I had a god-damn nickel everytime I mentioned this) oil cooler
Appreciate the info....I have the UPREV MAF sensor. I will ask for the dyno sheet with AF ratio.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:59 PM
t0rqu3

Originally Posted by Jaxter
I have never seen belt slip that could build linear boost all the way to redline. Would it have to be slipping at all rpms? Could there be a boost leak? Damaged impeller? Incorrect info? Were the runs being cut short?

I think a lot of pictures of the setup would help out. Count the cogs, measure the Serp pulley, measure the crank pulley, are there any check engine lights, get a second opinion on the tune.

If there is a boost leak. Definitely don't fix it and drive it without a retune.
Recounted it has 32/28 right now with 2.87......I gave them a 34 which they did not put on....don't know why! The 34 is still with them in the garage most likely!

Should I have that put on so I can have more boost through out the RPM range?
Old 08-31-2014, 05:01 PM
t0rqu3

Moore automotive said the reason my whp is low is cause all the mods I have is allowing too much flow! They said that when I was at 4psi..

What's the max boost a stock motor can take...I mean if I get the boost up to 17psi and the torque is under 400whp then is it okay?
Old 08-31-2014, 05:03 PM
t0rqu3

Originally Posted by Jaxter
Something is way off. That pulley combination should be spinning your Vortech around 65K. Most cars pushing a Vortech that hard are making 17+ psi and 550 hp. Are you positive those are the pulleys installed? If so, I would get a second opinion pretty quick. Can you take another picture of your dyno sheet that shows the rpms along the bottom?
Sure I will take another pic with the rpm and post
Old 08-31-2014, 05:18 PM
t0rqu3

As stupid as this may sound.....can a bad throttle body reduce the power on the dyno.... I was told the TB threw a few errors !
Old 08-31-2014, 06:27 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

NO!

You do not have sufficient Fuel Supply, nor do you have sufficient Intercooling.

Stock Rev Limiter on an 03 350Z 6600rpm, Max Rev Limit should be no more than 7100rpm.

I don't think you would be running up to 7400rpm with your set-up and still have a motor left.

Hard to help, when the facts keep changing......

Not sure your Tuner/Shop has a clue what their doing, or just taking advantage of your lack of knowledge of your own car.

Recounted it has 32/28 right now with 2.87......I gave them a 34 which they did not put on....don't know why! The 34 is still with them in the garage most likely!

Should I have that put on so I can have more boost through out the RPM range?
Old 08-31-2014, 06:28 PM
OldManZ350

You were told this by yout Tuner?

And what did they do about it?

As stupid as this may sound.....can a bad throttle body reduce the power on the dyno.... I was told the TB threw a few errors !
Old 08-31-2014, 06:30 PM
OldManZ350

Was the Stock Rev Limiter changed?

Sure I will take another pic with the rpm and post
Old 08-31-2014, 06:35 PM
OldManZ350

What Modifications?

"that's Funny" If Moore Automotive actually mad this statement, you need to stay far away.

Moore automotive said the reason my whp is low is cause all the mods I have is allowing too much flow! They said that when I was at 4psi..

What's the max boost a stock motor can take...I mean if I get the boost up to 17psi and the torque is under 400whp then is it okay?

Last edited by OldManZ350; 08-31-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:29 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Kindfully thank them, get all your stuff, make sure you're paid up and find another tuner.

You may have to take a few steps back, trouble shoot your throttle body, look into a return fuel system (like old man hinted at), I don't know anything about your intercooler but if it's the IC that came with your kit I would put it at the bottom of your list.

I wouldnt up your boost past 8-10psi until you feel comfortable that your system is running correctly.

I don't know this answer, someone can educate me - but do belt driven turbo's (vortech/procharger) have efficiency curves(can only assume yes)? does maximum efficiency occur at maximum boost or does max efficiency occur somewhere in the 2/3rd max boost like a turbo?

Last edited by bealljk; 08-31-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:16 AM
NAbuilderZ33

Any updates? I hope there was a happy resolution for your situation.