Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Head Work: What to do and not to do!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 10:58 PM
mexicutioner350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Head Work: What to do and not to do!?!?

Hello guys my build is finally coming to a close after 4 years of building. Yes I know thats a long waiting period but i wanted my z to be known around my area and a powerhouse import in the z game. My next step is head work; I have already ported and polished the intake and exhaust ports on the heads. My question is...is it worth the plus 1mm oversized valves to obtain my goals of 800-900hp? Will just aftermarket ferrea stock sized valves do the job?

What I have purchased for the heads so far
BC springs and retainers
Ferrea retainers/stems
Tomei 280
Valve guides I'm leaving stock..didn't hear much issue with them. INPUT would be great as well.

My Build List
CJM twin pump
aam fuel system
Quaife LSD
DSS Stage 5 axles
Block 96mm bore and etc etc
Crank Polished and etc etc
Manley H rods
Je pistons
ARP mains and L19 head studs
Rev-up oil pump
IP girdle
Cosworth Manifold
Custom single turbo kit with a 4in dump I believe
APS true dual exhaust not the dual exhaust that looks like the stock exhaust... a legit true dual...in my personal opinion way louder than motordyne.

I have other various parts for my build but being so early in the morning my mind isn't focused.

Need bigger injectors....haltech and various parts to run it...

YES I HAVE READ THE INFO ON THE HEADS POTENTIAL BUT, IM SEEING WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE DONE!!

Would love the input...

Sincerely Jose

Last edited by mexicutioner350; 10-07-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: proof reading
Old 10-16-2014, 01:18 PM
mexicutioner350

bump
Old 10-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

your best bet is to call 350z specialty shops on this.

they will give you the best info possible
Old 10-18-2014, 08:42 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That APS dual 3" is nasty, I have it on my greddy Z. It's like a bomb going off when u start it in the morning and a string of fire crackers when decelerating. On long drives my head starts ringing. Currently working on a custom quieter rear section I can swap on and off. Def. one of the loudest Z exhaust's I've ever experienced. But it makes power...closest thing to turn downs you can get in a real exhaust.

Last edited by djamps; 10-18-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:06 AM
juelz86z3303

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mexicutioner350
Hello guys my build is finally coming to a close after 4 years of building. Yes I know thats a long waiting period but i wanted my z to be known around my area and a powerhouse import in the z game. My next step is head work; I have already ported and polished the intake and exhaust ports on the heads. My question is...is it worth the plus 1mm oversized valves to obtain my goals of 800-900hp? Will just aftermarket ferrea stock sized valves do the job?

What I have purchased for the heads so far
BC springs and retainers
Ferrea retainers/stems
Tomei 280
Valve guides I'm leaving stock..didn't hear much issue with them. INPUT would be great as well.

My Build List
CJM twin pump
aam fuel system
Quaife LSD
DSS Stage 5 axles
Block 96mm bore and etc etc
Crank Polished and etc etc
Manley H rods
Je pistons
ARP mains and L19 head studs
Rev-up oil pump
IP girdle
Cosworth Manifold
Custom single turbo kit with a 4in dump I believe
APS true dual exhaust not the dual exhaust that looks like the stock exhaust... a legit true dual...in my personal opinion way louder than motordyne.

I have other various parts for my build but being so early in the morning my mind isn't focused.

Need bigger injectors....haltech and various parts to run it...

YES I HAVE READ THE INFO ON THE HEADS POTENTIAL BUT, IM SEEING WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE DONE!!

Would love the input...

Sincerely Jose

Im having the same delimema
With my head situation.
1. Standard valves
Are good but @ your powergoal 1mm should do just right.
My goal is 645rwhp.
I do wanna use the tomei pro cams aswell 272 to be excat idk how the 280's would perform or idle but I assuming its doope.

2. Haltech and bigger inuectors id 1300 seems to be best of both worlds.
Twim pump. Guages to monitor fuel egt boost ect .

Exhaust im going Aam 3inch true dual
My tt kit sp precision 61mm
External gates manifolds 3inch down pipe
My block sfr stage 2 wiseco Hd extreme 8:6:1 comp
Tomei con rods apr l19 rod bolts .
Working on heads, and fuel however I do have a,hks fcon but I soo, want a platinum haltech. I need injectors
Twin pump lsd 3.3 and maybe a cusco inside .
Drive shafts and a bunch of other stuff im forgetting
. but im thinking on doing sfr stage 3 heads, over the stg2.
3yrs, down time for me .
Glade to here u almost done.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:18 AM
racer59

Standard vq heads flow plenty of air, I am making near on 800 crank HP on standard cams valves etc,spend time on your tune and cam timing and turbo system. That's what makes the power.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:37 PM
mexicutioner350

Default Bump

hey guys sorry for the delay in response been busy with school and work. I ended up going the plus 1mm valves on my heads i did a lot of work on removing the guides and stems to save money at the machine shop. I was thinking about practicing the machining of the valve seat at my trade school since i do know how to run a vertical mill...just seeing if i can find the correct pilot to get the job done. If worse comes to worse ill send it out to sound performance or z1 maybe dynosty. I know the cost of labor is a lot when doing head work and understand the price reflects on the labor. I see that you made close to 800 with stock std valves. But, i need more power honestly; i have been waiting for 4 years and just have close to 800 isn't enough for me. I have been buying parts since high school/college and now have my real big boy job lol. Regardless of that; is 5k a little overkill for head work?

sincerely Jose.

Last edited by mexicutioner350; 10-26-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:42 PM
mexicutioner350

Originally Posted by djamps
That APS dual 3" is nasty, I have it on my greddy Z. It's like a bomb going off when u start it in the morning and a string of fire crackers when decelerating. On long drives my head starts ringing. Currently working on a custom quieter rear section I can swap on and off. Def. one of the loudest Z exhaust's I've ever experienced. But it makes power...closest thing to turn downs you can get in a real exhaust.
@djamps i love my dual aps i would never make it quite since i bought it to stand out from the borla or mangnaflow 350z near me. It is funny cause i rarely bring my car out to car meets. And when they hear me they ask you have a motordyne i just laugh and say no way APS true dual all the way. Mind you when i was 19 and heard the true dual in person...i looked for 3 years finding one and got my hands on one a year ago. Best investment i ever did!!!!
Old 10-27-2014, 05:43 PM
juelz86z3303

Originally Posted by racer59
Standard vq heads flow plenty of air, I am making near on 800 crank HP on standard cams valves etc,spend time on your tune and cam timing and turbo system. That's what makes the power.
Whoa! So basically your running stock heads? I was considering going with the standard size valve kit and upgrade my cams272 tomei pro i also was looking into the vtc pullies nismo makes but not sure of the benifits but if timing and tuning is the goal i guess them gears wouldnt hurt .

op build is good considering he has everything eles taking care of.
Me still stuck on porting heads or not . I dont wanna have to tear it down again tho.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:50 PM
juelz86z3303

hey guys sorry for the delay in response been busy with school and work. I ended up going the plus 1mm valves on my heads i did a lot of work on removing the guides and stems to save money at the machine shop. I was thinking about practicing the machining of the valve seat at my trade school since i do know how to
run a vertical mill...just seeing if i can find the correct pilot to get the job done. If worse comes to worse ill send it out to sound performance or z1 maybe dynosty. I know the cost of labor is a lot when doing head work and understand the price reflects on the labor. I see that you made close to 800 with stock std valves. But, i need more power honestly; i have been waiting for 4 years and just have close to 800 isn't enough for me. I have been buying parts since high school/college and now have my real big boy job lol. Regardless of that; is 5k a little overkill for head work?

sincerely Jose.
Yeah if its not on a competition vehicle.lol some guys run that on the street . Whatever your horsepower craves are and if you can afford it.
But i think your heads should match your build as in you going big wit turbo kit fuel axel why not do it big and do it right if i had 5k to spend on heads ill have 2 pair just for braggin rights. Nice build list looking forward to seeing that baby soon.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:24 PM
mexicutioner350

Default bump

Originally Posted by juelz86z3303
Yeah if its not on a competition vehicle.lol some guys run that on the street . Whatever your horsepower craves are and if you can afford it.
But i think your heads should match your build as in you going big wit turbo kit fuel axel why not do it big and do it right if i had 5k to spend on heads ill have 2 pair just for braggin rights. Nice build list looking forward to seeing that baby soon.
I agree juelz it is more my own competition car to me. Last year i was going to trade for a z06 with all the parts i had; but i couldn't do it. Being that it was my first sports car i intend on keeping it forever . Just something i have worked hard for and will enjoy when giving it all she has. I know the waiting period of 4 years is long and extensive with just being engine to trans to rear drivetrain. But, waiting and coming to a close is so worth it. I have been nagged on by my peers saying whatever to my dreams. But, when it is all said in done I guess they will be seeing my license pate lol. But in all honestly i built this car for drag and street. I will keep you guys informed when i make a final thread; when all is said and done with. At this moment body kit, looks, isn't on my mind at all for this car. I may wrap it pearl white or lemans orange to give it a stand out look though.

My other goals are kw3 coils, carbon fiber trim on the car, bride seats, and dipp the interior for the carbon fiber look. Thanks for all the help and will let u know as well where i send the heads to be lapped and etc with. I appreciate not being flamed as well lol

Last edited by mexicutioner350; 10-27-2014 at 08:26 PM. Reason: grammer college/mistakes
Old 10-27-2014, 11:04 PM
racer59

Whoa! So basically your running stock heads? I was considering going with the standard size valve kit and upgrade my cams272 tomei pro i also was looking into the vtc pullies nismo makes but not sure of the benifits but if timing and tuning is the goal i guess them gears wouldnt hurt .

Me still stuck on porting heads or not . I dont wanna have to tear it down again tho.
Hi that was running standard hr cams and stock heads. Mate has been trying plenty of diff combos big valves cams, head work but they end up running mild cams standard valves and standard ports.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:55 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I run 850 whp on stock de cams, stock de heads and bc springs and retainers. You just run more boost, which if using billet compressor wheels can be good

Old 10-29-2014, 07:00 PM
juelz86z3303

No flameage here . Your question wasnt a noob question at all
and many few have only ventured to where you are taking it. Lol
I hear you, i also plan on keeping it for ever aswell (word up).
Ya i do street drag and freeway rolling .
And road trips lol.

I agree juelz it is more my own competition car to me. Last year i was going to trade for a z06 with all the parts i had; but i couldn't do it. Being that it was my first sports car i intend on keeping it forever . Just something i have worked hard for and will enjoy when giving it all she has. I know the waiting period of 4 years is long and extensive with just being engine to trans to rear drivetrain. But, waiting and coming to a close is so worth it. I have been nagged on by my peers saying whatever to my dreams. But, when it is all said in done I guess they will be seeing my license pate lol. But in all honestly i built this car for drag and street. I will keep you guys informed when i make a final thread; when all is said and done with. At this moment body kit, looks, isn't on my mind at all for this car. I may wrap it pearl white or lemans orange to give it a stand out look though.

My other goals are kw3 coils, carbon fiber trim on the car, bride seats, and dipp the interior for the carbon fiber look. Thanks for all the help and will let u know as well where i send the heads to be lapped and etc with. I appreciate not being flamed as well lol

Last edited by juelz86z3303; 10-29-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:08 PM
juelz86z3303

Dam @jerry87 thats crazy
You making get the f_^_^k itz and slap them stock heads on and go perfect the rest of the lacky section of my build.
Dam wit so much potiental when boosted why do guys do hideous ls1 v8 swaps on these cars Smh vq 4eva .
Hey jerry im taking your advice your the 2nd person that mentioned that in this thread.

Originally Posted by jerryd87
I run 850 whp on stock de cams, stock de heads and bc springs and retainers. You just run more boost, which if using billet compressor wheels can be good

Last edited by juelz86z3303; 10-29-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:16 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i run stock valve sizes, but full supertech parts. make way more than 850whp.

Stock heads still need at least springs and benefit from aftermarket valves at higher power levels/ running antilag, etc
Old 10-30-2014, 09:40 PM
juelz86z3303

Hey big dawg. Was hoping you of all people could shed some light on this. Well for me i was considering going with the sfr stage 2 heads @first and provide my own parts, then 2nd thought occur and say why not do 3 and stick with b.c. material thats offerd with stage 3 aswell as keeping standard valves and wanting to run tomei 272's n and out.
Guess ill have re discuss with turbo tim.
(Thx str8dum)

Originally Posted by str8dum1
i run stock valve sizes, but full supertech parts. make way more than 850whp.

Stock heads still need at least springs and benefit from aftermarket valves at higher power levels/ running antilag, etc
Old 11-04-2014, 06:38 AM
jonnyidfw

Whats up Jose! Glad to see you are getting close to finishing your build as well! I am put those Darton Sleeves I got from You to good use! I got my block back from Darton about 2 weeks ago, Still waiting in my Heads to be done, I used JWT C8 Cams, Supertech +1mm Valves, JWT Springs and Titanium retainers with the Z1 Valve guides.... Heres my build:

Darton Sleeved Block
Wiseco Forged 9:5 CPR Pistons
Eagle Forged Rods
ACL Race Bearings
Greddy TT KIt w/Intercooler
ARP L19 Studs
Complete CJM Fuel System
Haltech w/FlexFuel Sensorj (E85)
4.08 FD
ETC
ETC..........

I am looking to be around the 4 Digit #'s too...

Mine will be done BEFORE Christmas (at least thats what I keep telling myself, Its really up to the parts Suppliers LOL)
Old 11-04-2014, 08:32 AM
cashmoney03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by racer59
The heads and cams may be able to do it but wouldn't it make sense to let the engine breathe easier and make the same power more efficiently? High boost numbers are cool but boost is just a measure of restriction.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:21 PM
racer59

Originally Posted by cashmoney03
The heads and cams may be able to do it but wouldn't it make sense to let the engine breathe easier and make the same power more efficiently? High boost numbers are cool but boost is just a measure of restriction.
Yes u are correct but these heads are that good in there flow unless u now what u are doing and have a flow bench u can make the flow worse.
In most cases turbos etc are the restiction not the heads i make 750hp at 15psi
but the standard cams were maxed, but in road coures car it seems to be enough.

Quick Reply: Head Work: What to do and not to do!?!?