Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

will headers cause too much free flow with Vortech?

Old 12-17-2014, 08:54 PM
dmatt93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will headers cause too much free flow with Vortech?

I know this question has been answered in different ways a number of times, but I would like a sense of confirmation before I spend a lot of money. I won't be able to get a vortech SC until at least I graduate college next semester. so probably in a little less than year.. but I want to get a pair of headers in the mean time to complete my exhaust and have a little extra power for the fun of it.

I have heard that an exhaust that is too free flowing is not a good idea on a vortech SC because low to mid rpms need a certain level of back pressure. if it's too free flowing you will lose this low end power.

Currently my exhaust mods are:
tanabe medalion catback, tanabe Y-pipe, and high flow cats

I have also heard that HFC and a catback exhaust would be enough back pressure with after market headers and Y-pipe.

I don't want my exhaust to be too free flowing when I get my vortech SC. Will aftermarket headers with my current exhaust mods have enough back pressure or will I be wasting my money because it is too free flowing?

Last edited by dmatt93; 12-17-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:29 AM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

This is Absolutely Wrong!

The Easier Air (less restriction) can flow thru the Motor the more HP/TQ you will make.

I have Open Headers on my car. It seams to run pretty good.

Originally Posted by dmatt93
I know this question has been answered in different ways a number of times, but I would like a sense of confirmation before I spend a lot of money. I won't be able to get a vortech SC until at least I graduate college next semester. so probably in a little less than year.. but I want to get a pair of headers in the mean time to complete my exhaust and have a little extra power for the fun of it.

I have heard that an exhaust that is too free flowing is not a good idea on a vortech SC because low to mid rpms need a certain level of back pressure. if it's too free flowing you will lose this low end power.

Currently my exhaust mods are:
tanabe medalion catback, tanabe Y-pipe, and high flow cats

I have also heard that HFC and a catback exhaust would be enough back pressure with after market headers and Y-pipe.

I don't want my exhaust to be too free flowing when I get my vortech SC. Will aftermarket headers with my current exhaust mods have enough back pressure or will I be wasting my money because it is too free flowing?
Old 12-18-2014, 05:18 AM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I have single 3" tomei, test pipes and headers... Not a problem for me! More air in, more air out..
Old 12-18-2014, 08:23 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Please don't go S/C unless you can understand the basic concepts of F/I. Though we are all fully aware that this is not going to happen anyways.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:59 AM
dmatt93

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/370968-is-a-larger-exhaust-better-for-vortech-procharger-kits.html

after reading this thread, sentry explains that if it is too free flowing, the velocity of the exhaust gases won't be as high causing low to mid rpms to lose power.

he basically said you want a little bit of restriction to increase the velocity of the exhaust

also this..
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/253183-vortech-3-12-pulley-and-a-3-91-gear.html

Last edited by dmatt93; 12-18-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:37 AM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

This is Wrong!

This is all controlled by the Header Design. Runners Diameter, Length, Runner Shape and Collector Diameter to achieve just the right Air Velocity to fully evacuate the Exhaust Gases and help pull in a New Intake Charge. It's also important the Runner Lengths are the same. ( This is what a Tuned Header Does ) Everthing works together. You never what Restriction in the Air Flow, unless you want to loose HP.

This is a Very Simplified Version. There is much more involved.

Can you run a mile faster with your 105 pound girlfriend on your back? That Restriction.

TimRod

Originally Posted by dmatt93
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/370968-is-a-larger-exhaust-better-for-vortech-procharger-kits.html

after reading this thread, sentry explains that if it is too free flowing, the velocity of the exhaust gases won't be as high causing low to mid rpms to lose power.

he basically said you want a little bit of restriction to increase the velocity of the exhaust

also this..
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...3-91-gear.html
Old 12-18-2014, 10:47 AM
dmatt93

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
This is Wrong!

This is all controlled by the Header Design. Runners Diameter, Length, Runner Shape and Collector Diameter to achieve just the right Air Velocity to fully evacuate the Exhaust Gases and help pull in a New Intake Charge. It's also important the Runner Lengths are the same. ( This is what a Tuned Header Does ) Everthing works together. You never what Restriction in the Air Flow, unless you want to loose HP.

This is a Very Simplified Version. There is much more involved.

Can you run a mile faster with your 105 pound girlfriend on your back? That Restriction.

TimRod
okay well good to know. I just wanted to make sure before I go out and pay for the headers + install. thanks guys
Old 12-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Jaxter

This is the most helpful thread I have read on exhaust scavenging. It's based on a N/A car, so the optimal pipe sizing may be different for a supercharged car with an additional 150hp. But it's still educational.

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...k-for-n-a.html