Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My FI friends, im at a loss of whats causing my issues. i turn to you.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:37 PM
Colombo

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Question My FI friends, im at a loss of whats causing my issues. i turn to you.

background story, car has ran great since built and boosted for the last 2 years. i track (HPDE/Autox) the car monthly with zero mechanical issues till now, i bought a set of drag radials and went to my first day at the strip (made 16 passes) at the strip i torn up the clutch disk (was still on a organic JWT, trans is out and replacing w a 6 puck as we speak) got the car back home OK

Next day i cranked the car and it would not start without giving it gas, the car would not idle on its own while the motor is cold. it would lean out on my AFR and die, rev the car it will revv to redline no issues, but will die on decel. once the car is hot it will idle but its searching in the AFR and only when hot will it not die. when hot after you revv the car it will idle but still searches while idling lean,rich, lean rich without dying. car is throwing no codes currently but did throw a bank 1 sensor 1 lean condition a few times in the past, i reset it and it has no issues for a few months, it did throw this code the night at the strip. cleared w cipher has not returned

what has been done or tried

-car is tuned on uprev

-uprev GT maf has been cleaned (a few times)

-replaced my upstream sensors with another set i had (no change)

-checked for leaks in manifold and vac lines( none found)
my boost gauge also reads VAC and its normal at idle (till it goes lean and dies)

-replaced spark plugs, they were fairly black w carbon.

-the crank position sensor was filthy w clutch hair, cleaned and tried that(no change)

-replaced crank sensor w a known working spare (no change)

-pulled both cam sensors on the back of the motor, cleaned and reinstalled

- inspected all coil packs for blistering, all look good

- replaced throttle body with a known working TB and did all resets

- did the fuel relearn on cipher

- today i pulled the spark plugs that were in the car for maybe 2 weeks since i have been trying to diagnose the issue and they are white on the tips, very lean. it was also brought to my attention that they are gapped bigger than suggested ( they are NGK 1 step colder w factory gap at .040) but i dont think the gap alone would cause this.

i am at a loss with what to try next, i dont wanna just start throwing parts at it. any advice guys? could it still be the MAF even w no code? maybe fuel issue? injectors?

Last edited by Colombo; 09-28-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:44 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Fuel pump or fuel injectors are possibilities. If all cylinders are lean based on plug, then probably fuel pump but they might just have white tips cause you are at idle all the time while trying to diagnose this issue. What kind of fuel system do you have? Are you able to monitor fuel pressure? I doubt it is spark because you are lean, not rich. It is either too much air (vacuum leak) or too little fuel (dirty line/clogged filter, failing pump, dirty injectors).

Last edited by rcdash; 09-28-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:44 PM
PP08HR

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

Probably has something to do with the aftermarket turbo system.

Go ahead and remove and re-test. Post results here..

lol... j/k
Old 09-28-2015, 03:46 PM
Colombo

this was the plugs after the strip(disregard the smashed 1 i dropped it)

here is the crank sensor after the strip

and here is the plugs i just pulled out the car. the car did not leave my garage w these plugs. for the last 2 weeks i have cranked the car in the garage and revvd it w its current issues.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:53 PM
Colombo

Originally Posted by rcdash
Fuel pump or fuel injectors are possibilities. If all cylinders are lean based on plug, then probably fuel pump but they might just have white tips cause you are at idle all the time while trying to diagnose this issue. What kind of fuel system do you have? Are you able to monitor fuel pressure? I doubt it is spark because you are lean, not rich. It is either too much air (vacuum leak) or too little fuel (dirty line/clogged filter, failing pump, dirty injectors).
walbro 400 pump, CJM stage 2 return system, detsch 1000cc.

i can watch fuel pressure on the FPR if need be. it appears to idle at the correct fuel pressure.

whats odd to me if it is fuel, why does the car revv fine. AFR even reads normal when revving the car. and why act MORE normal when warm.

also these issues started at a very very low amount of fuel. then refilled so i dont believe it is bad gas. but i cannot rule out a dirty/clogged screen on the basket
Old 09-28-2015, 03:57 PM
jdm-v35

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

sounds to me like one of these: upper o2 sensors, dirty maf, bad TB/tps or bad engine ground at the head(like i had)
Old 09-28-2015, 04:24 PM
Colombo

Originally Posted by jdm-v35
sounds to me like one of these: upper o2 sensors, dirty maf, bad TB/tps or bad engine ground at the head(like i had)
Both o2s were replaced with used but working o2s, maf has been cleaned a few times, tb was replaced w a used but working condition 1

Only thing left is the ground at the head. I'll check it more closely but I'm pretty sure it's ok.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:07 PM
Colombo

really starting to lean towards a mystery vac leak. Best way to check for vac leaks? Have tried the spray down w carb cleaner etc to see if it changes anything and can't find any like that. Not many vac lines on this motor so I have checked that they are all in place. At least all the visible lines. Possibly a leak from the base of my kinetix or lower plenum? Anyone know a way to make your own smoke test. Will be searching and researching some more on this. Any and all suggestions will be great!!

My theory( be it correct or not) is that while the motor is Cold the leak is larger than when it's warm (possibly gasket expanding etc) because when motor is warm my symptoms subside somewhat.

Last edited by Colombo; 09-29-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:04 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

Do you mean you had the tramsmission out of the car, replaced the clutch and flywheel, reinstalled. Then you had this problem?
Old 09-30-2015, 05:13 AM
Colombo

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Do you mean you had the tramsmission out of the car, replaced the clutch and flywheel, reinstalled. Then you had this problem?
Sorry let me clarify, this problem started the day after the drag strip. Trans is still out waiting on flywheel. All this was happening while the trans was in the car and w the same clutch/fly that was in the car.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:59 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

all of those fibers in your bellhousing don't concern you?

All that crap on your CAS?

get that fixed then go from there. Who knows what all that crap is doin to the CAS signal
Old 09-30-2015, 11:55 AM
Colombo

Originally Posted by str8dum1
all of those fibers in your bellhousing don't concern you?

All that crap on your CAS?

get that fixed then go from there. Who knows what all that crap is doin to the CAS signal
That was a thought of mine as well. I cleaned it many times and everytime I pulled it it had hairs on it so it may have contributed. Have a cd009 going in w a 6 puck soon as this flywheel gets here

Last edited by Colombo; 09-30-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:26 AM
OldManZ350

YA, Like Str8dun1 said, get the Clutch Area all cleaned up and trans installed First.

I know that's a crappy job cleaning all that stuff out of the bell housing. Nasty stuff, wear a mask and Eye protection.

When I fried my JWT Clutch it was a mess like you're. It happened at the drag strip, and I pushed it on the trailer, pushed it into my garage and pulled the trans. So I don't know if it would have caused a problem with the crank sensor or not.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:50 AM
Colombo

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
YA, Like Str8dun1 said, get the Clutch Area all cleaned up and trans installed First.

I know that's a crappy job cleaning all that stuff out of the bell housing. Nasty stuff, wear a mask and Eye protection.

When I fried my JWT Clutch it was a mess like you're. It happened at the drag strip, and I pushed it on the trailer, pushed it into my garage and pulled the trans. So I don't know if it would have caused a problem with the crank sensor or not.
Yea I cleaned up the engine side real good it was disgusting. Luckily the trans that is covered in thick nasty stuff will not be going back in I took this opportunity to finally swap over to a cd009 so the trans that will go back in is already cleaned up
Old 10-01-2015, 07:53 AM
Colombo

Here is what the flywheel looked like. This was after 1 night at the drag strip lol. Mind you this clutch n fly have been in the car for 2 years with a good bit of road racing. But the car was never really launched till this trip.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:03 AM
OldManZ350

Ya, you Beat that up good........ It's just all that Horse Power!

Make sure you use Red Loctite on the Flywheel Bolts. I did not like the Torx Head Bolts that I used with the JWT Flywheel, (don't know what you have) so I got Hex Head Flywheel Bolts from Zspeed. But that's just me.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:41 PM
Colombo

New trans/clutch/fly in. Car still has issues. Will not hold idle (goes lean and dies) unless I give it gas. Once warm will idle and rev to redline no problems. But car still bucks and hesitates when going to wot just like it did before (I thought maybe real bad slipping) but I now know that wasn't the case. Fuel? Boost leak? Vac? I'm really at a loss. Will be chasing a boost leak further even tho when idling I ran my hands around all the clamps and felt none. Maybe bov not working when in boost? Injector or pump issues? I have this 1/2 mile event in a month and it's already paid for 😁😁😁

http://youtu.be/ZqbiL4R3chA

Last edited by Colombo; 10-08-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:08 PM
R6n350GT

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Checked fuel filter yet?
Does fuel pressure raise when rpm/power raises ?
my car did that when i got the wrong filter for E85 and it clogged.
Also get the injectors flow tested and cleaned if needed

do you have wideband o2 ?

Last edited by R6n350GT; 10-08-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:34 PM
R6n350GT

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a spare pump use that as i have heard of pumps only failing under load so its hard to diagnose at idle but your idle is also messed up so... confirm correct voltage at pump also
Old 10-09-2015, 03:55 AM
Colombo

Originally Posted by R6n350GT
Checked fuel filter yet?
Does fuel pressure raise when rpm/power raises ?
my car did that when i got the wrong filter for E85 and it clogged.
Also get the injectors flow tested and cleaned if needed

do you have wideband o2 ?
We don't have a fuel filter it's just the screen. Was considering pulling injectors to be tested/cleaned but I wanna eliminate the basics first. I'm going to get some logs done today w cipher and see what it looks like while it's doing this. Seems like a few knowledgable ppl believe it might be a boost leak so I'm going to eliminate that as an option by checking all clamps and then maybe making a small boost tester from the depot to verify.

I'm unsure if the idle issue and the hesitation issue are one problem or 2. But they both appeared at the exact same time so I assume they are related.

Quick Reply: My FI friends, im at a loss of whats causing my issues. i turn to you.