Another Daily Driven Vortech Build - Page 7 - MY350Z.COM Forums



Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2017, 05:41 AM   #121
2bad240
Registered User
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: new bern nc
Posts: 1,025
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluestreamDE View Post
My setup is on my 1st post, minus the PMAS now due to tuners recommendation.
Why wont the pmaf be used? He having trouble tuning with it?
2bad240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:53 AM   #122
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 326
Thanked 39 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bad240 View Post
Why wont the pmaf be used? He having trouble tuning with it?
Short answer, yes. He didn't feel confident in getting the scaling done and decided to stick with the OEM MAF setting I had. I peg the voltage at around 4600rpm when in boost. Not really happy about it but it is what it is. Perhaps it's because I'm using a larger Mag tube than oem, why it's soo hard to scale the MAF accurately.
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #123
350z006
Registered User
iTrader: (78)
 
350z006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,428
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Time for a new tuner; I've used a PMAS and a larger diameter tube for the longest time, and while it wasn't easy on my tuner, it can be done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluestreamDE View Post
Short answer, yes. He didn't feel confident in getting the scaling done and decided to stick with the OEM MAF setting I had. I peg the voltage at around 4600rpm when in boost. Not really happy about it but it is what it is. Perhaps it's because I'm using a larger Mag tube than oem, why it's soo hard to scale the MAF accurately.

Last edited by 350z006; 02-01-2017 at 07:05 AM.
350z006 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 350z006 For This Useful Post:
OldManZ350 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:07 AM   #124
OldManZ350
Registered User
iTrader: (23)
 
OldManZ350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,941
Thanked 41 Times in 37 Posts
Default

The Larger MAF Tube will benifit the MAF, not hinder you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluestreamDE View Post
Short answer, yes. He didn't feel confident in getting the scaling done and decided to stick with the OEM MAF setting I had. I peg the voltage at around 4600rpm when in boost. Not really happy about it but it is what it is. Perhaps it's because I'm using a larger Mag tube than oem, why it's soo hard to scale the MAF accurately.
OldManZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:10 AM   #125
350z006
Registered User
iTrader: (78)
 
350z006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,428
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

You're right in regards to WOT, but its harder for idle/startup....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManZ350 View Post
The Larger MAF Tube will benifit the MAF, not hinder you.
350z006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:28 AM   #126
2bad240
Registered User
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: new bern nc
Posts: 1,025
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluestreamDE View Post
Short answer, yes. He didn't feel confident in getting the scaling done and decided to stick with the OEM MAF setting I had. I peg the voltage at around 4600rpm when in boost. Not really happy about it but it is what it is. Perhaps it's because I'm using a larger Mag tube than oem, why it's soo hard to scale the MAF accurately.
i can send you a maf table for 3" tube and Pmaf to try out just have your tuner copy and paste it in.
2bad240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2bad240 For This Useful Post:
terrasmak (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #127
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 326
Thanked 39 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bad240 View Post
i can send you a maf table for 3" tube and Pmaf to try out just have your tuner copy and paste it in.
I will PM you my email I think that will help him.
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #128
OldManZ350
Registered User
iTrader: (23)
 
OldManZ350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,941
Thanked 41 Times in 37 Posts
Default

I was refuring to Voltage only, not how hard it is to tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350z006 View Post
You're right in regards to WOT, but its harder for idle/startup....
OldManZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #129
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 326
Thanked 39 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Yea, well I'm heading straight to the shop after I finish work. I'll keep you all posted on what's going on. And I appreciate everyone's help. Hoping the scale 2bad240 will send me will help with my pmas.
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #130
2bad240
Registered User
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: new bern nc
Posts: 1,025
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluestreamDE View Post
Yea, well I'm heading straight to the shop after I finish work. I'll keep you all posted on what's going on. And I appreciate everyone's help. Hoping the scale 2bad240 will send me will help with my pmas.
email sent. Just have him copy in the complete maf info and try it.
2bad240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2bad240 For This Useful Post:
BluestreamDE (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 03:18 PM   #131
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 326
Thanked 39 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Soo today has been a very big frustrating ordeal. (*Inhale, exhale) Ok, this is what's going on with the car. The Z was fine before leaving it with Hi Psi, The shop has had this car for 3 days and only done 3 pulls on the dyno.

FUEL: I am at 93% duty cycle at redline with the Meth injection at full boost with 11.5afr thruout the rev range. The tuner (Justin Nash) refused to tune the car aggressively with the injectors operating at the ragged edge. Bigger injectors and a fuel return system would need to be purchased to continue.

BLOWER: The V3 seals are somehow shot now, the self contained oil is now leaking from behind the impeller, which it didn't do before I went to the shop. So a rebuild is now in order.

ENGINE: When I started the car on the dyno to back it up, the exhaust was smoking pretty bad, mostly white, blueish smoke. It continued to smoke idling. The car also sounds like it's missing/misfiring. I was not happy about this and addressed why the hell the car was doing this. Tuner said it smoked during the dyno runs (which Is why I am wonder why the f*** he continued to run the car hard and not call me about it). I checked the dipstick and noticed it was milky (Clear sign that the coolant is contaminating the motor oil) which I had no issues with during break in. Car was completely normal as I regularly check fluids on my own until they touched it.

MAF: I received 2bad240s MAF table for my PMAS but couldn't continue with tune due to the issues I am having with this shop and my damn car.

So right now, the car has been left with them. I am royally pissed off right now. Car was perfect before any of this s*** happened. How in three days my car ends up like this is complete bs. After a long discussion on what will happen next, they will be charging no labor costs and will be performing a compression test on the car, as well as replace my head gaskets if needed, but I need to pay outta pocket for new gaskets. The blower will have to be repaired as well. Truly a sad day for this Z enthusiast.

Last edited by BluestreamDE; 02-01-2017 at 03:20 PM.
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #132
Logiqal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 114
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Sorry to hear man, damn. I do know of builds that did well during the break in period but when driven hard on the dyno had issues similar to yours. Did you go with the L19 head studs or just the standard ARP? Also, did the same place that did the build do the tuning? I hate being in the predicament where each place begins to point fingers at each other. Maybe you should give Vortech a shot for the SC rebuild. I think you tried two different places and didn't have much luck. Why not go with the place that manufactures it?
Logiqal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #133
Colombo
Registered User
iTrader: (5)
 
Colombo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,061
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Shitty shitty situation. Who built the motor? I would not let them touch the car PERIOD. After this. Have them do the compression test. If they built motor. Attempt a refund or financial agreement and part ways. As a tuner I would not let them touch it again. And if it's a different shop who built the motor. I would take it up w them and not let them build it again. Best of luck man. Hopefully you get this worked out
Colombo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #134
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
iTrader: (8)
 
terrasmak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sin City
Posts: 23,396
Thanked 708 Times in 504 Posts
Default

Dam,and the reason I don't trust shops. Hope it gets set soon
terrasmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:10 AM   #135
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 326
Thanked 39 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiqal View Post
Sorry to hear man, damn. I do know of builds that did well during the break in period but when driven hard on the dyno had issues similar to yours. Did you go with the L19 head studs or just the standard ARP? Also, did the same place that did the build do the tuning? I hate being in the predicament where each place begins to point fingers at each other. Maybe you should give Vortech a shot for the SC rebuild. I think you tried two different places and didn't have much luck. Why not go with the place that manufactures it?
Yea it sucks. Standard ARPs. And all the symptoms I have on the Z lead me to believe it's head gasket failure. I am contemplating selling the blower for a bigger trim like the Ti once I repair it thru either 928 or Vortech actually. This could be a blessing in disguise since I got a pretty fat tax return, I may be able to do what I really want with the car.
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:14 AM   #136
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 326
Thanked 39 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombo View Post
Shitty shitty situation. Who built the motor? I would not let them touch the car PERIOD. After this. Have them do the compression test. If they built motor. Attempt a refund or financial agreement and part ways. As a tuner I would not let them touch it again. And if it's a different shop who built the motor. I would take it up w them and not let them build it again. Best of luck man. Hopefully you get this worked out
I was referred to Built Industries in Florida for the shortblock assembly. I don't think the block is the issue As it was fine even when I went full throttle on my own self tune to redline. It didn't show any of the symptoms it does now that the shop tuner touched it. Yes it will be worked out, Justin promised to not charge me labor but I would need to replace the head gaskets out of my own pocket. After they fix that I'm taking the Z back, repairing the blower and revamping my fuel system for more power potential.
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:18 AM   #137
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 326
Thanked 39 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
Dam,and the reason I don't trust shops. Hope it gets set soon
Thx I appreciate that. And I agree. I've done the majority of mods on this car and I put alot of work in my build. It just sucks when you put your trust in a shop and give your prized possession to them to build and modify and they ruin it. This is the same shop that installed my shortblock mind you.
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:17 AM   #138
Logiqal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 114
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I would have the heads reinspected if they're coming off. Do yourself a favor and go with the L19 headstuds and a good MLS head gasket set. Tomei just lowered the price on their head gaskets.
Logiqal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:20 AM   #139
2bad240
Registered User
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: new bern nc
Posts: 1,025
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiqal View Post
I would have the heads reinspected if they're coming off. Do yourself a favor and go with the L19 headstuds and a good MLS head gasket set. Tomei just lowered the price on their head gaskets.
this! 100% get the L19
2bad240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:08 AM   #140
OldManZ350
Registered User
iTrader: (23)
 
OldManZ350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,941
Thanked 41 Times in 37 Posts
Default

either way.......

"DO YOURSELF A FAVOR"

Upgrade your fuel system with at lease a CJM Stage 2. ( Talk to Colombo to see what pump he has) The problem you have is not your injector size with your existing setup, but stock fuel line size, it's very tiny. The CJM stock fuel line replacement is 1/2" diameter. and you may need larger injectors to match the pump and blower.

The New Vortech V2 Ti-Trim HD Blower is your best choice.

And YES YES get the L19 Head Studs....


Quote:
Originally Posted by BluestreamDE View Post
I was referred to Built Industries in Florida for the shortblock assembly. I don't think the block is the issue As it was fine even when I went full throttle on my own self tune to redline. It didn't show any of the symptoms it does now that the shop tuner touched it. Yes it will be worked out, Justin promised to not charge me labor but I would need to replace the head gaskets out of my own pocket. After they fix that I'm taking the Z back, repairing the blower and revamping my fuel system for more power potential.
OldManZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldManZ350 For This Useful Post:
BluestreamDE (02-07-2017)
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:46 PM.


Copyright 2002 - 2008, MY350Z.COM All Rights Reserved.