Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another Daily Driven Vortech Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:02 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Quick Update, The Z is on the lift and is being worked on right now with the head gasket replacement with L19 studs this time around and CJM Stage 2 Fuel System Install. Shop owner said they were really busy with TX2k17 builds and tax season customers. I'm just glad things are moving along.
Attached Thumbnails Another Daily Driven Vortech Build-f2b343aa8c3ed0ca7bcc9bc2d2f9baa6b0c0b6b04bd5c15228-pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg   Another Daily Driven Vortech Build-c3107b1dbc9d6e6211d248d4ac3dd013f889af5e98a6fa1ef9-pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg  
Old 04-01-2017, 06:05 AM
BluestreamDE

Just to update, As you can see the head gasket was a complete loss on the drivers side head. Coolant was apparently leaking into all three cylinders, Cylinder 4 also looks like it was leaking with the burn area on the top area. They said the issue was the head gasket not the ARP head studs. They are installing the new Tomei HGs now on both heads. I got no pictures with the fuel system upgrades, still waiting on those pics, once I get them I will post the progress up on here. Shop seems really busy still with Tax season builds.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:24 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

At least they are making progress on it and, doing it at no cost to you!
Old 04-01-2017, 07:33 AM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by eZg
At least they are making progress on it and, doing it at no cost to you!

I am still paying for the install of the fuel system install. I'm just waiting for the car to be 100% back on the road and ready to rip.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:40 AM
BluestreamDE

Progress soo far on the Z. Tomei head gaskets and new ARPs are installed and the rest of the CJM fuel system is being installed now. Unfortunately some problems have been addressed as to tuning the car once the car is completed. The owner blatanty denied to tune my car without E85 and I don't want to convert my fuel source as it is not practical for me. The methanol injection should be more than enough however he does not agree with me. I am sure he is afraid of a high boost high compression build and is just trying to cover himself if a fatal engine error occurs again while tuning.

So when the car is finished I will probably have the same guy that tuned Colombo''s Z tune mine via etuning with the shop owner to the shop directly. (RGZ Motorsports) I believe is the guys buisness name, if not I would have to bring the car to Austin at Uprev or ask other members in central Texas where I can bring this vehicle to be tuned on Pump+Meth. I am very frustrated but it is what it is. I'll make an informed decision and update my thread on a later date.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:42 AM
Logiqal

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My tuner would have said the same thing. Some tuners just don't like methanol injection but they all love E85. I wish E85 came to my neck of the woods.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:27 PM
BluestreamDE

I guess so. For now I just want this to be a daily driven, reliable boosted setup. E85 content varies with each station and some of the time you could be actually getting less than 85% ethanol depending on time of the year or where you get it, so that would effect how aggressive I can tune the car. Also I don't have a flex fuel sensor or Haltech, if I were to go E85 I at the very least would need to purchase these.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:20 PM
0taku

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

Oh you're in central texas as well? You can get with my tuner and get it dyno'd as well.

Steven @ KR Motorsports

PM me if you need more details.
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 01:37 AM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by 0taku
Oh you're in central texas as well? You can get with my tuner and get it dyno'd as well.

Steven @ KR Motorsports

PM me if you need more details.

This business is actually down the same street a few miles down from HI PSI where my Z is. Ill take a look there and call the shop to see if they can assist in tuning, seems like they have worked on a few VQs before upon further research. Maybe should of had them build my Z from the start.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:51 AM
0taku

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
This business is actually down the same street a few miles down from HI PSI where my Z is. Ill take a look there and call the shop to see if they can assist in tuning, seems like they have worked on a few VQs before upon further research. Maybe should of had them build my Z from the start.
He always seems to get swarmed with VQs as of late. This friday coming up (I assist him prepping the dyno out of boredom) we have 2x SC'd 370s, 1 turbo G35, SR 240sx, and a Titan. (Depending on who's actually ready for the dyno since things do happen)
Old 05-03-2017, 08:41 AM
BluestreamDE

He always seems to get swarmed with VQs as of late. This friday coming up (I assist him prepping the dyno out of boredom) we have 2x SC'd 370s, 1 turbo G35, SR 240sx, and a Titan. (Depending on who's actually ready for the dyno since things do happen)
I just emailed him today. Seems like he knows what he is talking about. A bit abrasive and direct but knowledgeable none the less. Likes that I'm running water meth. It was suggested I ditch the PMAS and go with a Uprev GT Maf instead for ease of tuning. So yet another thing to consider on my build. Once the car is finished at HI PSI, I will see which road I will take in terms of who will tune it.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:37 PM
BluestreamDE

Just to update on the Blower with the oil leaking issue, I emailed 928 Motorsports and I am only paying a total of $189 dollars, instead of paying over 700 for the premium rebuild. So that's a good feeling in my wallet, so I will have the shop (HI PSI) send the blower to them after payment for fixing.

I'm also going to have to buy a UpRev GT MAF if I want to get this car tuned unfortunately. I was told by the gentleman at KRM that the PMAS is very inconsistent and is very hard to tune with and I would end up paying more to have him work it with no guarrentee of a smooth tune. So I will just buy it to get it over with and sell the PMAS later or save it if I go with a bigger Trim Vortech down the road in the future that will produce more power above 600whp.

I am getting close to the end of the build and staying patient. Just ironing out the last details of the car.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:48 AM
2bad240

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

If they cant tune a pmaf I probably wouldn't let them tune my car Should be easy for anyone that has experience tuning.

Just to update on the Blower with the oil leaking issue, I emailed 928 Motorsports and I am only paying a total of $189 dollars, instead of paying over 700 for the premium rebuild. So that's a good feeling in my wallet, so I will have the shop (HI PSI) send the blower to them after payment for fixing.

I'm also going to have to buy a UpRev GT MAF if I want to get this car tuned unfortunately. I was told by the gentleman at KRM that the PMAS is very inconsistent and is very hard to tune with and I would end up paying more to have him work it with no guarrentee of a smooth tune. So I will just buy it to get it over with and sell the PMAS later or save it if I go with a bigger Trim Vortech down the road in the future that will produce more power above 600whp.

I am getting close to the end of the build and staying patient. Just ironing out the last details of the car.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:45 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bad240
If they cant tune a pmaf I probably wouldn't let them tune my car Should be easy for anyone that has experience tuning.
This.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:36 PM
BluestreamDE

I agree 2bad240, What I'm thinking he is going to so is since Otaku got tuned with him there with the same MAF and similar mods, he will "Go the easy way" and use his tune as a baseline with some timing pulled off, add more fuel comp on the WOT tables and fine tune to adjust to my car from there instead of "working" on making a new MAF scaling table with the PMAS. But that's just my hunch. This is why I wish I personally had more knowledge/experience of tuning.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:42 PM
0taku

I agree 2bad240, What I'm thinking he is going to so is since Otaku got tuned with him there with the same MAF and similar mods, he will "Go the easy way" and use his tune as a baseline with some timing pulled off, add more fuel comp on the WOT tables and fine tune to adjust to my car from there instead of "working" on making a new MAF scaling table with the PMAS. But that's just my hunch. This is why I wish I personally had more knowledge/experience of tuning.
Considering my fuel system is completely different and you're using a different MAF, that's awfully rude to assume that.

I'll just play it off as ignorance and lack of knowledge.

He never stated the PMAS was "hard" to tune, just inconsistent and he said he would work with you. He even gave you the feedback that was from Uprev about how inconsistent the PMAS is rather just giving his own opinion as a basis.

Anyways, since you were pretty quick to judge and talk down like that, I'll let him know not to expect your car. I wish you the best in finding a good tune.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:15 PM
BluestreamDE

Considering my fuel system is completely different and you're using a different MAF, that's awfully rude to assume that.

I'll just play it off as ignorance and lack of knowledge.

He never stated the PMAS was "hard" to tune, just inconsistent and he said he would work with you. He even gave you the feedback that was from Uprev about how inconsistent the PMAS is rather just giving his own opinion as a basis.

Anyways, since you were pretty quick to judge and talk down like that, I'll let him know not to expect your car. I wish you the best in finding a good tune.

Excuse me, Sir. What does your opinion of what I think of this person's professionalism and tuning experience have anything to do with my decision to choose or not choose the shop of my choice? I understand he is your 'Friend" However from a customer looking in to a shop to get a tune, the MAF should not matter. As 2bd240 stated and others agreed with here.

This is directly from his first email to me.

"Secondly would be the PMAS. I have more issues with them than anything, I would be willing to give it a shot, but I would much rather use the GTMAF. The PMAS are can be very different from one PMAS to the next. So ideally I would like to get rid of it all together. On your previous tune file, was the PMAS scaled WITH the 3" MAF tube?"

I suggested to use the OEM MAF if he couldn't calibrate the scaling correctly and accurately and just to over compensate on the fuel compensation tables as I did before when tuning it on my own and he pretty much told me off, stating he would rather stick to his guns and rather rely on the Uprev GT MAF to tune the car, something "HE" feels more comfortable with. If I used the PMAS he would of charged me more to tune anyway with the additional dyno time because he would take longer so I purchased the Uprev GT MAF to make it easier on "HIM", a "TUNER" to do his job. As a customer I have the right to question the quality of service as well as experience.

This is a car forum and I don't owe you any automatic respect nor does your comment effect my decision making ability to rationalize my thoughts on the matter because he is your "BOY" This is just business.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:36 PM
0taku

I suggested to use the OEM MAF if he couldn't calibrate the scaling correctly and accurately and just to over compensate on the fuel compensation tables as I did before when tuning it on my own and he pretty much told me off
You're literally creating a lot of unnecessary work for no reason.

But hey, you know better than he does apparently.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:19 PM
BluestreamDE

You're literally creating a lot of unnecessary work for no reason.

But hey, you know better than he does apparently.
Way to nitpick, i said i made a suggestion to do that AFTER he said he didnt have the desire to calibrate the PMAS but would try. I was able to tune it myself this way on the OEM maf and was able to hold my AFRs just fine running 19-21° timing all the way to redline making very good power on the stock block running 93+Meth. Many people have done this with the oem maf in tuning unmetered air. I know because IVE DONE IT!

Im making things difficult how?? How is buying a GT MAF even after he blatanty said he would not be able to even work with me on the PMAS saying I should get rid of it entirely. I am the customer. If you blindly want to protect such unprofessional behavior that's your progitive. I will gladly take my money elsewhere.

Either way, the real reason why I can't tune it on my own is because I am deployed overseas serving my country. I disn't feel the need to say my profession as I keep my life private, but if I was home, I would of definitely tuned my car on my own just fine and save my hard earned money on something else.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:20 PM
BluestreamDE

Just to update, I spoke a bit with the shop owner and now have made the decision to go E85. I will be going with bigger injecters than the 1200cc's and using a single 485lph walbro fuel pump with the CJM S2 fuel system. Most likely going to purchase 2000cc's just to be safe and just in case I upgrade the blower down the road. I will still most likely ditch the meth injection kit all together as it will eliminate a point of failure on the build.