Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another Daily Driven Vortech Build

Old 03-16-2016, 01:23 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Another Daily Driven Vortech, High CP Rebuild

As of 5/6/2018, V7 YSI is now Installed, go to page 14

Long story short, bent a rod on cylinder 5. Shortblock was swapped with a built one during the rebuild as well as some other parts. Installed with the following parts as of 10/01/2019.

Current Modifications So Far

•Vortech V7 YSi Supercharger (69,535 Impeller RPM @ 7100)
•34T/28T Cog pulleys, 2.62 Serp Pulley
•6-Rib 76mm Tension pulley (GTM Pulley Mod)
•Fluidampr Crank Pulley
•Built Shortblock 11.1 CP (.020 Overbored)
(Wiesco Pistons, Eagle Rods)
•Timrod Radius Brace
•Revup Oil Pump
•ARP L19 Head Bolts/Studs
•Z1 Motorsports Oil Pan Spacer
•Tomei 96mm Head Gaskets (0.7 thickness)
•Competition Clutch Stage 3
•OBX-R 370z Longtubes Headers
•Motordyne TDX Exhaust
•Motordyne XYZ Y-Pipe w/ Resonator
•Stock VLSD w/ Nismo Differential cover
•14lb Z1 Motorsports Flywheel
•PMAS MAF sensor
•R-Rydes 3in One Piece Charge Pipe, 3in Intercooler Piping
•Kinetix Velocity Intake Manifold
•350EVO 72mm Throttle Body (Discontinued)
•Stillen Engine Damper
•6 Wire Grounding kit
•NGK 1 Step Colder Plugs, .025 gap
•CJM Stage 2 Fuel Return System
•Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regularlor
•2200cc Bosch EV14 Injectors
•Painless Fuel Pump Relay Kit
•485lph Walbro Fuel Pump
•Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump 21v Version
•Treadstone TR1245 Intercooler
•Tial Q BOV w/ 2 psi Spring
•Mishimoto Thermostat
•SPAL 16" Performance Fan
•Large Aluminum Radiator
•Innovate MTX Wideband/Boost Gauge
•Tein Lowering Springs
•Megan Racing Rear Tie Rod
•Z1 Motorsports Urethane Diff Bushing
•Sparco Pro 2000 Seat with Harness
•Uprev Tuner software, ARC License and Cable

Tuning was done on 11/06/17 with the V3 Sci, base tune with conservative timing is 467whp/425tq (13-15 degrees advance timing)

I will be retuning with the YSI in the future for updated numbers...

A quick picture of how she sits now...

Walk Around Vid 10/05/18

Wheel Specs: Volk Racing TE37SL
18x9.5 +22 (295-35-18 Front) and 18x10.5 +15 (305-35-18 Rear)

Story below started out by just doing a simple blower Rebuild, then turned into much more...

V
V
V

Last edited by BluestreamDE; 01-05-2019 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Updated Parts Listing
Old 03-17-2016, 10:27 AM
BluestreamDE

I asked for some pics from my blower from L. Maness at Superchargerrebuilds.com, and one that really caught my attention was the difference between an SCi impeller and the original Si impeller, he explained that the only difference is that they shave the fins off the edge of the SCi to make it produce less boost, the Si does not have this done at all, and it is the only difference between the two trims. He also explained that the impeller is interchangeable with the SCi with no modification to the Volute and clears it perfectly, and said he has done this before many times doing SCi rebuilds and with good success. Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails Another Daily Driven Vortech Build-sci-vs-si.jpg  
Old 03-24-2016, 04:39 PM
BluestreamDE

Rebuild of my SCi is taking longer than expected, but all is repaired and the only thing missing is the Volute. Here is a pic of the V3 with the new Si billet impeller Mr. Maness from Superchargerrebuilds.com sent me today. Volute should be at his shop by this weekend so I will be expecting the blower to be at my door by next week Friday, I hope. Its all I am missing to begin the install. Pretty excited.
Attached Thumbnails Another Daily Driven Vortech Build-v3-sci-with-si-impeller.jpg  
Old 03-25-2016, 07:19 AM
Staisman

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Why you didn't send it to Vortech directly?
Also I think you are wrong with 10-11 psi on the SI blower. I am getting 10 PSI with my SCi trim right now but I am also using 3.12 pulley not 3.33. I have upgraded my blower to SI and will be getting tuned in 2 weeks. I am expecting anywhere between 16-18 PSI.

Last edited by Staisman; 03-25-2016 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:36 AM
jdm-v35

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

at 10.8-11 AFR that is way too rich. you will probably be losing more power and wasting a ton of fuel.

I would aim more in the mid to high 11's to low/mid 12's AFR.

Also, I would get a return fuel system for this setup as it will help things run smoother and also will help with tuning as fuel pressure will be very consistent.

Good luck with the build! Sounds like it should turn out good.
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 08:52 AM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by Staisman
Why you didn't send it to Vortech directly?
Also I think you are wrong with 10-11 psi on the SI blower. I am getting 10 PSI with my SCi trim right now but I am also using 3.12 pulley not 3.33. I have upgraded my blower to SI and will be getting tuned in 2 weeks. I am expecting anywhere between 16-18 PSI.
Hello Staisman. I actually did send it to Vortech originally and they refused to repair it. This Vortech V3 Sci was previously owned and im not sure if the guy overspun it but there was also the vortech was leaking its self contained oil where the impeller is, it looked black and thick, possibly a bad seal? They gave me an option to do a core turn in and replace it for $1,600. I kindly declined the offer and went another route. I am paying 800 with Superchargerrebuilds.com with the rebuild kit (bearings and seals) and the Si Impeller and Volute.

Yes the SCi on DE non revups originally gives 7-8 psi with the 3.33, 9-10psi with the 3.12. From what i read here on this forum, Builds on here that use the Si Trim used the 3.33 pulley gained 9-11 psi depending on exhaust mods, it also produces a higher CFM than the SCi which is shown on the Vortech website. I am also producing more boost with my Fluidampr Crank i plan to install also as this spins the blower a tad faster. The only difference between the Sci and the Si is the impeller, on my second comment i attached a picture showing the difference. If i am wrong about this, please correct me. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:01 AM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by jdm-v35
at 10.8-11 AFR that is way too rich. you will probably be losing more power and wasting a ton of fuel.

I would aim more in the mid to high 11's to low/mid 12's AFR.

Also, I would get a return fuel system for this setup as it will help things run smoother and also will help with tuning as fuel pressure will be very consistent.

Good luck with the build! Sounds like it should turn out good.
Perhaps, i am not really focused on power yet. I want it to be tuned safely for now on pump for dailying in the hot Texas summer, then perhaps push the limits harder with this Meth injection kit i got off a buddy. The previous owner of this Z used 75 and 100 shot nitrous on this motor, compression tests all came of great but i just playing it safe. Thanks for the advise and luck. Ran outta funds for the FRS i wanted from CJM. Gonna wait till i get the cash later on. The 320lph should be ok with 720cc injectors.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:21 AM
NAbuilderZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man! You finally made a thread for yourself on here!, Glad I could help you with your build as unfortunately I gave up on mine, I still have my 11.1 CP Bottom built block, Uprev Tuner Cable and my TE37s if you wanna buy them off me, lol. Im gonna buy a more capable car now, perhaps a Z28 Camaro if I play my cards right. Good luck if you need anything else from me you know my number.
BluestreamDE (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 09:32 AM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by NAbuilderZ33
Hey man! You finally made a thread for yourself on here!, Glad I could help you with your build as unfortunately I gave up on mine, I still have my 11.1 CP Bottom built block, Uprev Tuner Cable and my TE37s if you wanna buy them off me, lol. Im gonna buy a more capable car now, perhaps a Z28 Camaro if I play my cards right. Good luck if you need anything else from me you know my number.
I may need you to tune it for me after install lol, Uprev cable and your Volks sound tempting haha. I am broke though I let you know later on lol. Do you still have your longtube headers?

Last edited by BluestreamDE; 03-26-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:06 AM
NAbuilderZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
I may need you to tune it for me after install lol, Uprev cable and your Volks sound tempting haha. I am broke though I let you know later on lol. Do you still have your longtube headers?
No problem, If you end up buying the Cable from me I will advise learning the ins and outs of EFI tuning. There are many threads here to read and review the basics. I will talk you thru some of it as well since I tuned my own Z with an NA map, a FI map and Meth injection map. Im not the best but ill teach you what I know. and yes I still have all my exhaust parts in my storage. Just text me its faster to get a hold of me.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:35 PM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by NAbuilderZ33
No problem, If you end up buying the Cable from me I will advise learning the ins and outs of EFI tuning. There are many threads here to read and review the basics. I will talk you thru some of it as well since I tuned my own Z with an NA map, a FI map and Meth injection map. Im not the best but ill teach you what I know. and yes I still have all my exhaust parts in my storage. Just text me its faster to get a hold of me.
Haha, yea I may take you up on that. If I plan on getting tuned more than one time I might as well save money and tune myself, start out with a base map of course and making small changes to it. I read a few things already today on Tuning and I already brainfried.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:36 PM
BluestreamDE

Just to update, I purchased a Tial Q BPV in black, with the 2 psi spring for supercharged applications. I like the sound it makes and some of folks on here on the Z forum seem to love it on their builds. I also will be getting my friend NAbuilderZ33's longtube headers but I don't think I will have them installed yet as my county does smog testing and i'm due for an inspection in a few months. Still waiting on the Blower to get the volute needed to complete the rebuild and having it shipped back to me.

Last edited by BluestreamDE; 07-14-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:31 PM
BluestreamDE

Another update, bought my friends Uprev Tuner cable and he built a base map for me to tinker with and upload after install. The impeller is hitting the volute and wont spin, the volute will be bored .020 to accomidate the new cast Si impeller. Superchargerrebuilds sent it for machining on this past Monday so hoping by tomorrow or next week monday it will be sent off to me for sure. Its taking longer than expected for my Vortech to turn around from them, but im keeping patient.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:00 AM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it really that uncommon to DD a vortech Z? Am I not supposed to drive mine in the snow ?

One thought: use the BOV to control boost rather than the pulleys. Put a normal bleed style MBC teed into the vac line to limit pressure to the top of the BOV port. You'll be able to limit max boost without losing low end punch from spinning the blower faster. You may find that the TiAL BOV does this automatically with such a light spring in it. I use a forge 50mm and I had to put a much stiffer spring in it to keep it closed above 5kprm. I may have a boost leak though, which would exacerbate the effect. It doesn't take much pressure differential from the charge pipe to the manifold to open the big valves, especially with such light springs.

I also really hate how loud the 50mm is. Wrapping it with foam helps.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:18 AM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by kilogram
Is it really that uncommon to DD a vortech Z? Am I not supposed to drive mine in the snow ?

One thought: use the BOV to control boost rather than the pulleys. Put a normal bleed style MBC teed into the vac line to limit pressure to the top of the BOV port. You'll be able to limit max boost without losing low end punch from spinning the blower faster. You may find that the TiAL BOV does this automatically with such a light spring in it. I use a forge 50mm and I had to put a much stiffer spring in it to keep it closed above 5kprm. I may have a boost leak though, which would exacerbate the effect. It doesn't take much pressure differential from the charge pipe to the manifold to open the big valves, especially with such light springs.

I also really hate how loud the 50mm is. Wrapping it with foam helps.
Lol, I titled my thread this cause there are soo many Vortech builds on here and i couldnt come up with an original title. I will be dailying this Z even after install as my other car is strictly my wifes. I want to be loud so the tial wont bother me at all, just my neighbors thanks for your imput though, i appreciate it.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:39 PM
BluestreamDE

Update, blower is repaired and completed with the Superchargerrebuild cast Si impeller upgrade, I will install next weekend with my buddy NAbuilder and we will work on doing a base street tune afterwards, once the blower is broken in after 500 miles we will push for more power with the water meth kit.
Attached Thumbnails Another Daily Driven Vortech Build-rebuiltv3sciwithsiimpeller.jpg   Another Daily Driven Vortech Build-rebuiltv3backside.jpg  
Old 04-23-2016, 11:46 AM
BluestreamDE

Update, installation of the Rebuilt vortech is completed. We managed to install the piping, injectors, fuelpump and blower and mounting bracket in less than 4hrs. 1st start up was really smooth since NAbuilder built a Base 93 pump map for me with low timing at Open throttle and 11.0Afr. Runs at 900rpm at idle and fluctuates 14.6-14.9afr at idle which is ok for now. Currently have the Fluidampr and 3.33 pulley combo for now and wont be redlining till the blower is broken in maybe for 200-300 miles but halfthrottle shows plenty of power that has been picked up. Overall i am satisfied with the rebuilt V3, it is louder than i thought it would be but my friend who owned the blower before me said this is fine, said it was slightly louder that when he had the Sci impeller so i wont be worried.

Just to add, we did not install the Water meth kit yet, it was suggested that i buy another nylon hose from Coolingmist as well as some nozzle attachments so that will have to wait.
Attached Thumbnails Another Daily Driven Vortech Build-0423161432-2.jpg  

Last edited by BluestreamDE; 04-23-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:34 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks good! Give it hell!
BluestreamDE (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 06:44 PM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Looks good! Give it hell!
Thanks, my friend did most of the work, he really is a smart guy on the Z, he even tuned it for me, im still learning but i am sure i will be able to tune like him eventually.

I took it to redline yesterday after work and with the 3.33 and Fluidampr it put me at exactly 11 psi. I am running rich right now 10.8-11.0 with low timing on this street tune. Pulled strong and it scares me cause i had the VDC off, and i still have 3.9 gears.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:09 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
Thanks, my friend did most of the work, he really is a smart guy on the Z, he even tuned it for me, im still learning but i am sure i will be able to tune like him eventually.

I took it to redline yesterday after work and with the 3.33 and Fluidampr it put me at exactly 11 psi. I am running rich right now 10.8-11.0 with low timing on this street tune. Pulled strong and it scares me cause i had the VDC off, and i still have 3.9 gears.
That's going to be plenty of wheelspin with 3.9 gears!

Search this Thread