Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another Daily Driven Vortech Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 05:41 AM
2bad240

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
My setup is on my 1st post, minus the PMAS now due to tuners recommendation.
Why wont the pmaf be used? He having trouble tuning with it?
Old 02-01-2017, 05:53 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bad240
Why wont the pmaf be used? He having trouble tuning with it?
Short answer, yes. He didn't feel confident in getting the scaling done and decided to stick with the OEM MAF setting I had. I peg the voltage at around 4600rpm when in boost. Not really happy about it but it is what it is. Perhaps it's because I'm using a larger Mag tube than oem, why it's soo hard to scale the MAF accurately.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:03 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Time for a new tuner; I've used a PMAS and a larger diameter tube for the longest time, and while it wasn't easy on my tuner, it can be done...

Short answer, yes. He didn't feel confident in getting the scaling done and decided to stick with the OEM MAF setting I had. I peg the voltage at around 4600rpm when in boost. Not really happy about it but it is what it is. Perhaps it's because I'm using a larger Mag tube than oem, why it's soo hard to scale the MAF accurately.

Last edited by 350z006; 02-01-2017 at 07:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
OldManZ350 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:07 AM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

The Larger MAF Tube will benifit the MAF, not hinder you.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:10 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You're right in regards to WOT, but its harder for idle/startup....

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
The Larger MAF Tube will benifit the MAF, not hinder you.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:28 AM
2bad240

i can send you a maf table for 3" tube and Pmaf to try out just have your tuner copy and paste it in.
terrasmak (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 08:15 AM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by 2bad240
i can send you a maf table for 3" tube and Pmaf to try out just have your tuner copy and paste it in.
I will PM you my email I think that will help him.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:46 AM
OldManZ350

I was refuring to Voltage only, not how hard it is to tune.

Originally Posted by 350z006
You're right in regards to WOT, but its harder for idle/startup....
Old 02-01-2017, 09:16 AM
BluestreamDE

Yea, well I'm heading straight to the shop after I finish work. I'll keep you all posted on what's going on. And I appreciate everyone's help. Hoping the scale 2bad240 will send me will help with my pmas.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:19 PM
2bad240

Yea, well I'm heading straight to the shop after I finish work. I'll keep you all posted on what's going on. And I appreciate everyone's help. Hoping the scale 2bad240 will send me will help with my pmas.
email sent. Just have him copy in the complete maf info and try it.
BluestreamDE (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 03:18 PM
BluestreamDE

Soo today has been a very big frustrating ordeal. (*Inhale, exhale) Ok, this is what's going on with the car. The Z was fine before leaving it with Hi Psi, The shop has had this car for 3 days and only done 3 pulls on the dyno.

FUEL: I am at 93% duty cycle at redline with the Meth injection at full boost with 11.5afr thruout the rev range. The tuner (Justin Nash) refused to tune the car aggressively with the injectors operating at the ragged edge. Bigger injectors and a fuel return system would need to be purchased to continue.

BLOWER: The V3 seals are somehow shot now, the self contained oil is now leaking from behind the impeller, which it didn't do before I went to the shop. So a rebuild is now in order.

ENGINE: When I started the car on the dyno to back it up, the exhaust was smoking pretty bad, mostly white, blueish smoke. It continued to smoke idling. The car also sounds like it's missing/misfiring. I was not happy about this and addressed why the hell the car was doing this. Tuner said it smoked during the dyno runs (which Is why I am wonder why the f*** he continued to run the car hard and not call me about it). I checked the dipstick and noticed it was milky (Clear sign that the coolant is contaminating the motor oil) which I had no issues with during break in. Car was completely normal as I regularly check fluids on my own until they touched it.

MAF: I received 2bad240s MAF table for my PMAS but couldn't continue with tune due to the issues I am having with this shop and my damn car.

So right now, the car has been left with them. I am royally pissed off right now. Car was perfect before any of this s*** happened. How in three days my car ends up like this is complete bs. After a long discussion on what will happen next, they will be charging no labor costs and will be performing a compression test on the car, as well as replace my head gaskets if needed, but I need to pay outta pocket for new gaskets. The blower will have to be repaired as well. Truly a sad day for this Z enthusiast.

Last edited by BluestreamDE; 02-01-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Logiqal

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear man, damn. I do know of builds that did well during the break in period but when driven hard on the dyno had issues similar to yours. Did you go with the L19 head studs or just the standard ARP? Also, did the same place that did the build do the tuning? I hate being in the predicament where each place begins to point fingers at each other. Maybe you should give Vortech a shot for the SC rebuild. I think you tried two different places and didn't have much luck. Why not go with the place that manufactures it?
Old 02-01-2017, 04:22 PM
Colombo

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Shitty shitty situation. Who built the motor? I would not let them touch the car PERIOD. After this. Have them do the compression test. If they built motor. Attempt a refund or financial agreement and part ways. As a tuner I would not let them touch it again. And if it's a different shop who built the motor. I would take it up w them and not let them build it again. Best of luck man. Hopefully you get this worked out
Old 02-01-2017, 09:04 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Dam,and the reason I don't trust shops. Hope it gets set soon
Old 02-02-2017, 05:10 AM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by Logiqal
Sorry to hear man, damn. I do know of builds that did well during the break in period but when driven hard on the dyno had issues similar to yours. Did you go with the L19 head studs or just the standard ARP? Also, did the same place that did the build do the tuning? I hate being in the predicament where each place begins to point fingers at each other. Maybe you should give Vortech a shot for the SC rebuild. I think you tried two different places and didn't have much luck. Why not go with the place that manufactures it?
Yea it sucks. Standard ARPs. And all the symptoms I have on the Z lead me to believe it's head gasket failure. I am contemplating selling the blower for a bigger trim like the Ti once I repair it thru either 928 or Vortech actually. This could be a blessing in disguise since I got a pretty fat tax return, I may be able to do what I really want with the car.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:14 AM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by Colombo
Shitty shitty situation. Who built the motor? I would not let them touch the car PERIOD. After this. Have them do the compression test. If they built motor. Attempt a refund or financial agreement and part ways. As a tuner I would not let them touch it again. And if it's a different shop who built the motor. I would take it up w them and not let them build it again. Best of luck man. Hopefully you get this worked out
I was referred to Built Industries in Florida for the shortblock assembly. I don't think the block is the issue As it was fine even when I went full throttle on my own self tune to redline. It didn't show any of the symptoms it does now that the shop tuner touched it. Yes it will be worked out, Justin promised to not charge me labor but I would need to replace the head gaskets out of my own pocket. After they fix that I'm taking the Z back, repairing the blower and revamping my fuel system for more power potential.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:18 AM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Dam,and the reason I don't trust shops. Hope it gets set soon
Thx I appreciate that. And I agree. I've done the majority of mods on this car and I put alot of work in my build. It just sucks when you put your trust in a shop and give your prized possession to them to build and modify and they ruin it. This is the same shop that installed my shortblock mind you.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:17 AM
Logiqal

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would have the heads reinspected if they're coming off. Do yourself a favor and go with the L19 headstuds and a good MLS head gasket set. Tomei just lowered the price on their head gaskets.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:20 AM
2bad240

Originally Posted by Logiqal
I would have the heads reinspected if they're coming off. Do yourself a favor and go with the L19 headstuds and a good MLS head gasket set. Tomei just lowered the price on their head gaskets.
this! 100% get the L19
Old 02-02-2017, 08:08 AM
OldManZ350

either way.......

"DO YOURSELF A FAVOR"

Upgrade your fuel system with at lease a CJM Stage 2. ( Talk to Colombo to see what pump he has) The problem you have is not your injector size with your existing setup, but stock fuel line size, it's very tiny. The CJM stock fuel line replacement is 1/2" diameter. and you may need larger injectors to match the pump and blower.

The New Vortech V2 Ti-Trim HD Blower is your best choice.

And YES YES get the L19 Head Studs....

I was referred to Built Industries in Florida for the shortblock assembly. I don't think the block is the issue As it was fine even when I went full throttle on my own self tune to redline. It didn't show any of the symptoms it does now that the shop tuner touched it. Yes it will be worked out, Justin promised to not charge me labor but I would need to replace the head gaskets out of my own pocket. After they fix that I'm taking the Z back, repairing the blower and revamping my fuel system for more power potential.
BluestreamDE (02-07-2017)