Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

FI bug has bit, going Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 09:26 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

The turbo kit dies have a cracked manifold, I can get a set of new manifolds with it. How well have the repaired Greddy cast manifolds held up, or should I just get the new manifolds.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:33 PM
Justin100

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
The turbo kit dies have a cracked manifold, I can get a set of new manifolds with it. How well have the repaired Greddy cast manifolds held up, or should I just get the new manifolds.
greddy cast manifolds are known to crack.....

did you buy this kit off of b_hoss?

when i saw that guys ad I would not have bought his kit. their is too much involved with fixing all the problems with his stuff.......

its already bad enough to buy a used turbo kit but to buy a used turbo kit that needs to be fixed is more hassle than anything else.

if you were to rebuild the kit to something somewhat usable you will have more possible problems in the future for the other items to wear down......

Last edited by Justin100; 05-05-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:51 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I wouldnt cheap out and fix a cracked manifold. I've learned the hard way cutting corners will end up costing you more.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:19 AM
tcode

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
This is a very old version of a base map. This is 1.04. We are on 1.13 now... The latest firmware publically released I think is 1.13.0
Actually, it's 1.13.02..

http://www.haltech.com/downloads-2/e...ware-firmware/
Old 05-06-2016, 04:26 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Get new ones 100%
Old 05-08-2016, 02:05 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

theres a few things you can do to prevent cracks.

1. When you install, make sure the passenger side turbo and pipe are away from the false firewall. Engine Tq and rebound can cause the turbo to contact the body.
2. Go solid motor mounts if you haven't already. They are not bad in the 350z.
3. support your exhaust. A lot of members buy downpipes that do not bolt to the tranny which leaves the nearest hangars at the rear of the car and the connection at the turbo. I used some hangars at the driveshaft loop cross bar to support...rubber mounted for flex.
4. Flex pipes in your y pipe
5. light weight exhaust if you don't do number 3 above. Not SS..its heavy. Go titanium.

You can weld Cast iron back together. The welder needs to know what he is doing.
Pre heat, grind out, short weld and proper rod and you'll be good to go.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:17 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Cux350z

1. When you install, make sure the passenger side turbo and pipe are away from the false firewall. Engine Tq and rebound can cause the turbo to contact the body.
3. support your exhaust. A lot of members buy downpipes that do not bolt to the tranny which leaves the nearest hangars at the rear of the car and the connection at the turbo. I used some hangars at the driveshaft loop cross bar to support...rubber mounted for flex.
5. light weight exhaust if you don't do number 3 above. Not SS..its heavy. Go titanium.

You can weld Cast iron back together. The welder needs to know what he is doing.
I have fresh Z1 poly mounts , and was planning on a set of Berk down pipes. I know they are braced. I just have to find the trans mount. Then I was going to run my current Motordyne single with XYZ pipe.

I could also give the false firewall I few love taps with a BFH while the motor is out for extra clearance if needed.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:46 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Cux350z

If you have a trusted welder, it should not be a problem. But I have seen far too many crap "welders" who take a pretty penny. Cast is totally something a good welder can do. So is titanium. But how many welders out there actually will do it right?

You do NOT want to have to fix that manifold again 6 months from now.

If you were local to me, I know a guy who would slay that manifold for you. But, if you don't know for sure a great welder... I wouldn't bother. Not sure how much the manifold costs from greddy, but it would probably be worth just replacing in the off chance you get a bad weld. If you don't know what to look for, you could easily get something that seems nice, but has pinholes that are just going to leak etc.

Do it right, not twice.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:21 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Originally Posted by Resmarted
If you have a trusted welder, it should not be a problem. But I have seen far too many crap "welders" who take a pretty penny. Cast is totally something a good welder can do. So is titanium. But how many welders out there actually will do it right?

You do NOT want to have to fix that manifold again 6 months from now.

If you were local to me, I know a guy who would slay that manifold for you. But, if you don't know for sure a great welder... I wouldn't bother. Not sure how much the manifold costs from greddy, but it would probably be worth just replacing in the off chance you get a bad weld. If you don't know what to look for, you could easily get something that seems nice, but has pinholes that are just going to leak etc.

Do it right, not twice.
supposedly Qwik Crew Motorsports on FB can get them for 700 still. There are 2 people trying to make tubular renditions

You are correct at the welder. I would pick someone with EXP..not a first timer. Also, if the crack is too severe to where it cannot be ground out without making 2 pieces then it may be scrap.

poly mounts will help but a BFH will help more. I could see where a used turbo housing had be rubbing on the body, polishes a spot of paint off.

Ill try to upload a pic of my exhaust hangars. Nothing pretty. My AAM dp are not braced to the tranny.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:14 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Well the 18g kit I was getting, the owner decided to keep it for now. Back in the hunt for another or something comparable.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:23 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

^WTF?
Old 05-22-2016, 04:47 AM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Well the 18g kit I was getting, the owner decided to keep it for now. Back in the hunt for another or something comparable.

Also Ralph Has one too!

Last edited by yosip1115; 05-22-2016 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:43 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

just say no to internal wastegated turbos
Old 05-22-2016, 05:47 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Originally Posted by dikspiel
I wouldnt cheap out and fix a cracked manifold. I've learned the hard way cutting corners will end up costing you more.
There is nothing special about the greddy cast iron or fixing it. It can be done by brazing or a TIG. The actual "welding" portion is the easy part...its all the prep prior to welding. The thing about fixing a crack in cast iron is to find it early, fix it right (grinding, drilling, cooling, preheating ect). Waiting until the manifold is in pieces is not the route to go.

There is a set of tubi manifolds in development but they will be pricey and if they do not provide any gains/flow then it will be hard to make the switch.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:07 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Back to this, died out , bought a new house , time to get back to this. Found a vortech V3 kit, time to get going.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:21 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Back to this, died out , bought a new house , time to get back to this. Found a vortech V3 kit, time to get going.
Congrats on the new home! Vortech is alot easier to install and you get to keep your exhaust setup the way it is now, it will just be louder under boost. I installed mine in about 4 hrs taking my time. Good luck on the build.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:54 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

The turbo does seem like the more ambitious way to go. The V3 seams like the way to go especially when your good with 350-400 hp. I was wondering what happened to your car. One second it's getting a turbo, the next your brakes that are worth more than my daily driver are destroyed.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:47 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
The turbo does seem like the more ambitious way to go. The V3 seams like the way to go especially when your good with 350-400 hp. I was wondering what happened to your car. One second it's getting a turbo, the next your brakes that are worth more than my daily driver are destroyed.
It hasn't been to the track since I had the hub come apart, it's actually only been driven a couple times since then. I got the new bearing, still need to press the studs, and install. Basically just been doing house work and riding my bicycle when I have time.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:20 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I actually am a bit surprised how much I like the V3 kit on track...drives like an NA car.
The following users liked this post:
terrasmak (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 07:57 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

dreamer build
The following users liked this post:
terrasmak (12-18-2016)

Quick Reply: FI bug has bit, going Vortech