Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Main girdle help. Modifying windage tray

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 04:43 PM
35reilly

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Main girdle help. Modifying windage tray

Got my main girdle today from danasty. They said the windage tray needed to be modified. Put it in my car to drop off to builder and noticed there are no whole drilled or tapped to bolt the tray to the girdle. Nor do the holes on the tray even fall on the girdle ( hole half on half off ) anyone give me an idea as to what I need to do exactly? Is this how it is and I need to drill and tap?

Old 06-15-2016, 06:47 PM
jdm-v35

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

By chance I just saw this in their original thread selling the girdle when researching parts for my build.. Dynosty states it is deleted and not necessary.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:52 PM
35reilly

Originally Posted by jdm-v35
By chance I just saw this in their original thread selling the girdle when researching parts for my build.. Dynosty states it is deleted and not necessary.
That's weird cause guy that placed my order said it had to be modified. Idk if it's not necessary then that's even better
Old 06-16-2016, 04:25 AM
jdm-v35

Do you think the billet girdle is really necessary? Debating on if i should do it or not. What kind of power goals are you aiming for?
Old 06-16-2016, 07:17 AM
35reilly

Since that would be the only thing I didn't do and the hp I'm running 800 plus. For piece of mind. Absolutely I already been down the road of blowing my bottom end apart
Old 06-16-2016, 09:37 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

@35reilly Most street cars are discarding the windage tray. It bolts directly in and no modifications are required without windage tray.
For a dedicated road race application I would recommend keeping it, which will require drilling and tapping the girdle to accept bolts to secure windage tray. Additionally you will have to clearance the upper oil pan to fit the windage tray since the girdle is much larger.

@jdm-v35 The billet girdle is a great idea for all builds, but becomes especially important for higher revs and higher power. It's cheap insurance so we use it on most performance builds to help keep the bottom end securely in place. I would consider it mandatory on high power / high revving builds.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:40 PM
35reilly

Originally Posted by Hal@Dynosty
@35reilly Most street cars are discarding the windage tray. It bolts directly in and no modifications are required without windage tray.
For a dedicated road race application I would recommend keeping it, which will require drilling and tapping the girdle to accept bolts to secure windage tray. Additionally you will have to clearance the upper oil pan to fit the windage tray since the girdle is much larger.

@jdm-v35 The billet girdle is a great idea for all builds, but becomes especially important for higher revs and higher power. It's cheap insurance so we use it on most performance builds to help keep the bottom end securely in place. I would consider it mandatory on high power / high revving builds.
Thanks!!!! Yeah I talked to Logan and he explained it all to me. Thanks for responding but we're gonna run no tray!!!
Old 06-16-2016, 04:07 PM
shawndon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hal

Is there anything else that needs to be checked before installing this girdle on a freshly built block?
Old 06-16-2016, 04:11 PM
35reilly

Oh yeah and forgot to mention girdle was very nice piece!!!!
Old 06-16-2016, 06:52 PM
jdm-v35

thanks for the info. I will probably consider this when I am closer to completing the parts list fo rmy build. Though I probably wont reach 800 at 11:1 CR
Old 06-17-2016, 03:57 AM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

thanks for the info. I will probably consider this when I am closer to completing the parts list fo rmy build. Though I probably wont reach 800 at 11:1 CR
W/ E85 anything is possible...
Old 06-17-2016, 04:11 AM
35reilly

Listen if your gonna be reving that think north of 7500 it's something to think about. I was gonna keep factory girdle but looked at it this way. With ALL THE MONEY I have wrapped up in internals and the fact that I am now running the nismo oil pump why chance it. Just get the last piece to the puzzle!!!!
Old 06-17-2016, 06:34 AM
jdm-v35

Very true! and the cost is reasonable. did you have it measured by a machine shop? Just would want to make sure it bolts directly on with standard sized bushings with no issue
Old 06-17-2016, 06:37 AM
35reilly

Very true! and the cost is reasonable. did you have it measured by a machine shop? Just would want to make sure it bolts directly on with standard sized bushings with no issue
Direct fit!!! Bolt Rt up
Old 06-17-2016, 07:58 AM
jdm-v35

How were bearing tolerances? did you check them and were they in spec? Thats the only thing I would worry about when modifying that piece. NVM just realized the main caps are separate pieces to bearing tolerances wont be affected!

ALso, what is the disadvantage to not having the windage tray? my car would be semi-daily driven

Last edited by jdm-v35; 06-17-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:02 AM
35reilly

How were bearing tolerances? did you check them and were they in spec? Thats the only thing I would worry about when modifying that piece. NVM just realized the main caps are separate pieces to bearing tolerances wont be affected!

ALso, what is the disadvantage to not having the windage tray? my car would be semi-daily driven
Lol. All good brotha. It's how u learn. I'm still learning!!!!!
Old 06-17-2016, 12:55 PM
jdm-v35

The main worry for me is getting bearing clearances correct as I haven't had to do it before. tearing everything else down is no problem. I am also still undecided about sleeving the block.

Can't wait to see your build done though. Hope to see some big numbers!
Old 06-17-2016, 01:17 PM
35reilly

The main worry for me is getting bearing clearances correct as I haven't had to do it before. tearing everything else down is no problem. I am also still undecided about sleeving the block.

Can't wait to see your build done though. Hope to see some big numbers!
Clearances have a window. standard then you can go by different sizes within that window. Somebody may correct me but. I went on the looser side and I'm gonna run thinker oil to make up for the looser clearance. I'm running pretty high boost tho. I take it with your compression your not boosted? As far as sleeping I would think long and hard about that. Read up cause there's a lot of negative talk about them. I was thinking about doing it but I don't want a headache with cooling issues and what not. Dude I'm not a professional at all so I may get corrected and if I'm wrong about what I'm saying and someone corrects me great. Anyway for the power you mentioned I wouldn't worry about sleeves
Old 06-17-2016, 02:37 PM
jdm-v35

Thanks for the info! that makes a lot of sense. I do plan to boost again eventually. I had a procharger but it did not put down the kind of power I'm looking for and was out of potential. I may go Single turbo or vortech v7 YSi. I still havent decided.

I am just in the process of collecting parts for the build right now. gonna take it slow and find what I want. I do have the pistons though which are wiseco 96mm 11:1. I would be happy to hit 700 when all is said and done. I still need to call around for machine shops about the torque plate as well.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:42 PM
35reilly

Thanks for the info! that makes a lot of sense. I do plan to boost again eventually. I had a procharger but it did not put down the kind of power I'm looking for and was out of potential. I may go Single turbo or vortech v7 YSi. I still havent decided.

I am just in the process of collecting parts for the build right now. gonna take it slow and find what I want. I do have the pistons though which are wiseco 96mm 11:1. I would be happy to hit 700 when all is said and done. I still need to call around for machine shops about the torque plate as well.
I have one for sale. Used one time!check my threads. Btw I had a blower and hated it. Car was a slug. Went tt and I will never go back!!!!

Quick Reply: Main girdle help. Modifying windage tray