Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My build: I'm not sure to be cautious or terrified

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 06:13 AM
0taku

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Default My build: I'm not sure to be cautious or terrified

I posted a few threads down on questions about E85 and running a stock block on twins.

My car is near completion (Waiting on Mishi Thin fans today...) and I'm a bit worried on going far too overkill on my current setup.

Here's what I got so far:

VQ35DE @ 54,000 miles. (Healthy and not heavily abused besides some short AutoX laps)

Vortech V2 SCi
928 Impeller
928 2.87 Pulley
DW 1000cc Inj.
DW300 340lph Fuel Pump
CJM Fuel Return Stage 1-S
Kinetix SSV Manifold
NWP 75mm TB
3" MAF pipe
Motordyne Shockwave TDX2 Exhaust
3" Test pipes
Osiris Uprev on E85

Supporting mods:

Mishi Oil Cooler
Random Oil Catch can
Mishi Radiator
Generic 24x12x6 Intercooler (JDM Sport)
OS Giken Twin Disc Clutch
Master Silicon Hose set (Z1)
Gauges and more gauges. (wideband, boost, oil temp, etc.)

Now, I been reading pages on pages of threads of people pushing anywhere from 300whp up to 550+ on a stock block. I'm well aware that the risk climbs on increase power persay, and this discussion was talked about in my other thread, but I'm trying to grasp the concept on why superchargers can run beyond the 400 more safely than turbos. (I know not safe in general, but more safer than turbos).

Should I be worried if the timing can't be retarded enough to reach safer levels? I have a feeling I might have to go beyond 400 w/o a choice.

Last edited by 0taku; 06-17-2016 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:20 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

First of all what do you mean "mighy have to go over 400whp without a choice?" Of course you have a choice.

Secondly, supercharger delievers power more smoothly than turbo. Once a turbo kicks in, you have all X psi at once, where as supercharger climbs steadily.

Thirdly, sure there have been people who has push 600whp on stock block, but ask yourself, are you willing to bet on it? Personally, for me, 400whp is plenty, safe, reliable and is more than enough to get in trouble with.

Futher more, why are you running e85? Alot of people have manage to get 400whp with just 91 gas, there really isnt much reason to go to e85 unless youre pushing big power.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:41 AM
0taku

Originally Posted by turboed350z
First of all what do you mean "mighy have to go over 400whp without a choice?" Of course you have a choice.

Secondly, supercharger delievers power more smoothly than turbo. Once a turbo kicks in, you have all X psi at once, where as supercharger climbs steadily.

Thirdly, sure there have been people who has push 600whp on stock block, but ask yourself, are you willing to bet on it? Personally, for me, 400whp is plenty, safe, reliable and is more than enough to get in trouble with.

Futher more, why are you running e85? Alot of people have manage to get 400whp with just 91 gas, there really isnt much reason to go to e85 unless youre pushing big power.
My main goal is 600whp in the future, and I plan on building the motor within a few months. I'm just prepping everything beforehand rather buying new parts again. Although I start to wonder if I need to switch to 1300's for 600 but I'll cross that bridge when it comes close.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:45 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

If i remember correctly, 600whp is pushing it with a supercharger. Why not just wait, built the motor, then run 600whp.

Because if you plan on getting 400 now, then move to 600, youre wasting money on parts and tuning.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:08 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

E85 will allow for a safer range of timing and fueling in the tune. It's increases the margin for error and is a nice safety to have. Cylinder pressures will be determined by torque at any given rpm. With the SC your torque curve will be flat. If you want to increase your margin of safety, decrease your rev limit. You will be fine.
The following users liked this post:
0taku (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 08:39 AM
0taku

Originally Posted by rcdash
E85 will allow for a safer range of timing and fueling in the tune. It's increases the margin for error and is a nice safety to have. Cylinder pressures will be determined by torque at any given rpm. With the SC your torque curve will be flat. If you want to increase your margin of safety, decrease your rev limit. You will be fine.
I don't plan on exceeding the stock rev limit of 6400 on a stock bottom end, so I should be fine there.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:32 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

maybe you know something I don't, but I haven't heard anything positive about mishimoto fans in relation to the Z33. If you need space, I would probably look for a spal fan that fit your needs. beyond that, I have a mishimoto radiator in my evo, and a koyo in my Z and S2000... for the difference in price I like the koyos better.

and while you are doing a fuel system, put a 10 micron inline filter in the setup.