Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

1000th Vortech build etc. Looking for the bottlenecks

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Logiqal

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

^Good luck! Keep us posted.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:37 PM
0taku

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

Not much progress on the Z up until now. (Mainly because I bought a new Z.... Z06 that is)

So I been holding in this issue I had for a while but at this point I may as well share it.

As most people know, a modified hanger is required to fit a Walbro 450/485 on the stock fuel basket.

I sent my basket a few months back to Dynosty to get it modified and they're pretty good people over the phone although some points not exactly super helpful when things of theirs go wrong.

The work was pretty shoddy like it was rushed and the fuel basket now has a higher height than stock and no effort was made to shave down the tabs on the fuel pump. Because of this, the basket sits unevenly on one side and prevents a flush fitment on the fuel tank.

This in turn causes a horrible opening and causes the fuel to leak horribly on the ground when the car is beyond 40% full.

I called them up and spoke with Logan and sadly the only response I get is "Sorry man, all the others worked fine." Basically it feels like I get the "Tough sh*t bro, you got the one fuel basket we failed to do correctly."

I guess this is what happens when I try to go the cheap route although I had high hopes with these guys.

Friday I went ahead and ordered the Twin Pump from CJM because it's honestly beyond irritating that I can't travel far with a fuel reading of 30-40% every fillup and my car eats up the E85 like nobodies business. Let alone so much fuel just evaporates away with the opening.

ie. Going the cheap route screwed me and having high expectations for a shop kinda threw me off guard when they're not exactly helpful. Luckily its only a $200ish loss and could of been worse.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:07 PM
0taku

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 0taku
Luckily its only a $200ish loss and could of been worse.
Things got slightly more complicated when I realized that the Twin Pump from CJM also requires a Stage 3 upgrade for the fuel lines as well.

Replaced the belt tensioner and now I'm seeing numbers at 15-16psi now at 6500rpm which is far better than 11-12. Still, I need another retune because AFRs are starting to dip to 9.8.

Rather re-tuning and going with maybe a 30-50 whp gain, I plan on going a bit more extreme with the build. The engine will get stripped down again and I want to test the limits of the V2 S trim.

Still got a lot of researching to do before we begin since I plan on dipping into the triple threat of power. (E85, Meth, Nitrous)

Trying to understand nitrous effects and boost, I probably will go a medium setup such as 75 or 100 wet shot. The block will be ripped open and I plan on converting over to the new Weisco rods whenever they're available. My cam selection I'm thinking a possible aggressive setup such as Tomei 272 int and Kelford 288 exh. with a complete ferrea valvetrain.

Something like this definitely wont happen within the next month, but hopefully before the end of the year.

Either magical stuff will happen, or watch a glorious explosion.

I don't exactly have a goal for power, I just want to experiment at this point.