Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

1000th Vortech build etc. Looking for the bottlenecks

Old 09-16-2016, 01:10 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Any updates, Otaku?
Old 09-18-2016, 06:15 PM
0taku

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
Any updates, Otaku?
Car is going through break in at the moment.

I should have dyno results in the next week or two.
The following 2 users liked this post by 0taku:
BluestreamDE (10-16-2016), Resmarted (09-20-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 06:43 PM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by 0taku
Car is going through break in at the moment.

I should have dyno results in the next week or two.
Nice! Good luck with your results, which shop is tuning your Z?
Old 09-30-2016, 01:29 PM
0taku

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
Nice! Good luck with your results, which shop is tuning your Z?
Steven @ KR Motorsports

Can't exactly break it in easily, trying to pin point the belt squeal I'm dealing with. I'm very confident one or two of my pulleys are misaligned.

Talk about irritating. Hopefully I'll get a fix tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Logiqal

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sub'd
Old 11-27-2016, 08:53 AM
0taku

Lazy update

Unfortunately, it seems like a super busy schedule for the shop. My tuner is packed with people needing tunes so mine is currently on hold.

I fixed all the weird quirks the car was having such as:

1. S/C rattle, even at 900rpm idle. (Cog belt was too tight)

2. Horrible belt squeal (GTM tensioner pulley went bad, replaced with Gates and its gravy)

Car is broken in, but still has the tune from before the prior block blowout. (From a sheared rod bolt, prior grassroots drifting probably weakened the bolt from rev jumping)

I'm extremely anxious and excited to see what 11:1 compression and E85 will give me for a power output, but yet I have to be patient.

I'll be sure to post up numbers and videos as well as the scheduled exact dyno day to keep everyone informed.
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 10:26 AM
BluestreamDE

I'm excited to see your results with high compression and E85 especially with the cams you have. I'm doing my rebuild now with 11.1 CP with stock cams, 2.87 pulley, LTHs and plan on using my Meth Injection kit with a bigger nozzle spraying 100℅ Meth to try to make up for not having as much of an octane rating as race gas or e85.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:14 AM
0taku

Update:

Keep running into small but annoying problems.

The belts kept eating itself and went through my 5th gates belt and found the cause finally. (Also explains the cursed squeal that still shows up) One of the idler pulleys on the vortech bracket was not aligned with everything else.

First I thought of removing the washer, which in turn made the belt rub against the timing cover. Added a very thin washer to replace and now everything is lined up. Hopefully I wont have to buy more belts.

My Wideband crapped out in a very odd way, but still getting that situated with AEM Tech Support (Who's actually really helpful for my case).

Finally stopped procrastinating trying to think of a way to get the Walbro 485 to work so I gave up and sent a basket over to Dynosty.

Both upstream O2 sensors decide to crap out and got replaced. Only to realize it was just the fuse that blew. (Oh well, they had nearly 60k miles so better now than later)

About to buy a set of Bosch EV14 2200cc injectors from a fear of fuel being a problem. (Even the 485 worries me)

Fuelab mini fuel pressure gauge isn't working anymore (oil is gone somewhere....) so went ahead and bought a 52mm fuel pressure gauge so I can monitor it while driving since I'm concerned about fuel.

Basically I'm waiting on injectors, fuel pump basket, new wideband, fuel pressure gauge, and another street tune before she hits the dyno.

Might be between 1-2 months before I can get numbers sadly but things take time and I'd rather not rush this build.

I never forgot about this thread, it's just running into random, numerous problems here and there.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:42 AM
BluestreamDE

No worries bro. Things happen. I had a few hiccups myself. The journey is the reward.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:42 PM
0taku

Murphy's law has a high probability in builds so I kinda expected it.

Anywho, just ordered a Treadstone 1245 intercooler and all fuel parts arrived at Dynosty for the Fuel Basket mod. Definitely a big thanks to Logan@ Dynosty for the help and keeping me updated.

I'm so close to being on the final stages I can taste it.
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (02-07-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 06:47 AM
0taku

Prediction was kinda right about Murphy's law.

All the goodies are installed but we ran into some big problems with getting the car to crank "somewhat" normally.

One thing is for sure, Uprev/OEM ECU does not like monster sized injectors such as the 2200's.

Luckily my tuner worked some magic and after talking to Omar @ Uprev for a while, we were able to figure it out and now the car is golden.

I'll be doing some data logging today and street tuning on Tuesday.

We scheduled an appointment to rent a dyno (we were able to find a loaded one) by the end of next week.

I'll update again after the street tune then again when we start with the dyno.

With the small issues gone, we can finally make some good progress.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:27 PM
0taku

More good and bad news.

Good:

Car cranks and starts like OEM. (So happy, but we burnt out the last starter)

Some good street tuning done, but there are still a few things to fix before the dyno. Belt was kinda loose so it was slipping pretty bad. (Made 9psi @ 4600 which is a good sign, but it didn't want to go any higher) I want to say my idler pulley went bad because the belt progressively gets looser and I have to constantly tighten it nearly every drive.

Regardless of having a lot of timing pulled, the car hauls like no tomorrow and we're having great luck hitting target AFR on cruising and WOT so that's definitely great news. No issues with MAF voltage nor fuel being a problem just yet. (Although being at 9psi, we still have a long way to go to see if there will be a problem)

The Bad:

So after installing the fuel basket I got back from Dynosty, the basket is being very cocky and stubborn. Because of the Walbro 485 being taller, we're having issues with the fuel basket sitting flush with the tank when bolted on. There's a noticeable gap on the fuel pump side.

Because of this, filling up anywhere near half a tank and fuel just leaks(A huge leak at that) right out on the ground. Going to try to remedy this with extra O-Ring seals to compensate on Monday.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:49 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That's odd...I got my 485 installed in my old pump by Dynosty long ago, and didn't have any clearance issues...I wonder if they just didn't trim enough plastic from your oem pump to properly fit the 485...

More good and bad news.

The Bad:

So after installing the fuel basket I got back from Dynosty, the basket is being very cocky and stubborn. Because of the Walbro 485 being taller, we're having issues with the fuel basket sitting flush with the tank when bolted on. There's a noticeable gap on the fuel pump side.

Because of this, filling up anywhere near half a tank and fuel just leaks(A huge leak at that) right out on the ground. Going to try to remedy this with extra O-Ring seals to compensate on Monday.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:18 AM
0taku

Originally Posted by 350z006
That's odd...I got my 485 installed in my old pump by Dynosty long ago, and didn't have any clearance issues...I wonder if they just didn't trim enough plastic from your oem pump to properly fit the 485...
We're just going to go the easy route to fix it tomorrow. Basically we're adding two more basket O-rings and sealing the outside with the fuel resistant Permatex goop. Hopefully that'll solve the issue in the meantime.

Dyno scheduled for Friday (May 3rd).

We were able to locate a shop that has a loaded dyno so the numbers wont be as high but satisfying enough to have a solid and better tune.

Probably go to another shop and pay for 3 pulls on a dynojet in case I don't hit my target of 600.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:52 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That's just a bandaid, but I hope it works...

Now that I think about it, I did have issues getting the springs to compress on the fuel pump after 485 installation...I had to fiddle around with the pump basket to get it to compress...

In any event, I've moved on to a twin pump, and that old basket is long gone...

We're just going to go the easy route to fix it tomorrow. Basically we're adding two more basket O-rings and sealing the outside with the fuel resistant Permatex goop. Hopefully that'll solve the issue in the meantime.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:41 PM
0taku

Sadly enough the dyno for tomorrow morning was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

So the bandaid fix actually worked which is nice, so I can top off fuel with no issues now. Did a bit of street tuning tonight and of course Murphy's law yet again.

Luckily it's a small issue that can be fixed fairly quickly and cheap.

So my MAF pipe blows off the coupler at 10psi which kinda sucks. The ends are smooth on each end with no ridges to give any extra grab support. So we're just going to send the steel MAF pipe to a welder to bead around the ends and use the hairspray trick for extra hold.

Unfortunately, trying to figure out how to do a boost leak test is tricky for the vortech but I'm sure we'll figure out something.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:54 AM
Logiqal

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

^The boost leak test is super easy on a Vortech as long as you did the air filter relocation mod... the one that brings the air filter out into the front bumper.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:28 PM
0taku

I'm just going to find another coupler. I forgot what that hose lead to for vacuum on the blower coupler but I'll just throw another one on and use the end to use the boost leak test.

Contacted Tim (well, tried to source a radius rod from someone and he contacted me) to go ahead and buy a Timrod Radius Rod to prevent any future headaches that might happen on the dyno.

Will probably boost leak test to 22-23psi just to be safe.

1000th Vortech build etc. Looking for the bottlenecks-dycchal.jpg
The following 2 users liked this post by 0taku:
BluestreamDE (03-03-2017), OldManZ350 (03-04-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 10:53 PM
BluestreamDE

It's looking good man, honestly its just a few issues that are easy fixes. Cant wait for the result.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:30 PM
0taku

Bah... was so close to start on the dyno but yet again... this car doesn't want to.

P2135 popped today, cleared it hoping it would just go away but 2 miles of data logging later, it reappears.

The current NWP 75mm TB was only ~2k miles old, but things fail.... that's the nature of the business.

Bought a new one and hopefully that's that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1000th Vortech build etc. Looking for the bottlenecks