Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

06 TT G35 build 2nd go around

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 10:32 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm thinking my next go around build will be sending the block off to Darton to be sleeved, and get a machine shop to do 1/2" head studs. I've been having some cooling issues, trying to figure out if it's a gasket issue but we'll see, next time want to clamp that bastard as good as possible. What kind of HG are you going with? I went with a stock HR headgasket on my build but in hind site I'm thinking of going with like an HKS next time around. Granted if a sleeve sinks this is all moot, hopefully going to Darton directly will mitigate that.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:41 AM
35reilly

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin100
to avoid leaking head gaskets make sure you take your heads to a machine shop to get them resurfaced..........and make sure they check the block piece of mind get the block decked/resurfaced also.

always get new headgaskets and whenever you remove your head for any reason you can never reuse your headgaskets period. can only be used 1 time.
I completely started over. Stock block ect bore honed decked. Apparently the surface of my old motor wasn't decked properly for the correct MLS gasket
Old 07-23-2016, 02:48 AM
35reilly

Originally Posted by Juztin
I'm thinking my next go around build will be sending the block off to Darton to be sleeved, and get a machine shop to do 1/2" head studs. I've been having some cooling issues, trying to figure out if it's a gasket issue but we'll see, next time want to clamp that bastard as good as possible. What kind of HG are you going with? I went with a stock HR headgasket on my build but in hind site I'm thinking of going with like an HKS next time around. Granted if a sleeve sinks this is all moot, hopefully going to Darton directly will mitigate that.
Using HR gasket. I was back and forth with that whole thing as well. Idk researched and a lot of guys are running big power with the stock HR gaskets. Talk to builder after builder and seemed that HR was the way to go. With the leaking issues I had before I was willing and ready to drop the 5 bucks or however much they were just for a piece of mind. I was told I would just be wasting my money!!! Idk this is a whole learning experience. As far as bolting on stuff and installing it. That's what I did last time. I learning what and why now. Fingers crossed. I should be fine tho. Had a very reputable shop do all mechiene work and assembled the bottom end so I'm pretty confident.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:51 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 35reilly
I completely started over. Stock block ect bore honed decked. Apparently the surface of my old motor wasn't decked properly for the correct MLS gasket
I had this issue with my previous setup as well... machine shop took me for a ride.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:00 AM
35reilly

Originally Posted by Zivman
I had this issue with my previous setup as well... machine shop took me for a ride.
Sucks!!!! I'm mean really who can you trust these days. It don't matter who it is. Unless you have equipment and know how to do that kinda work you don't know what they are doing. You just hope it's done right. But I know when u took it I. There soon as he seen the finish he said " not the right finish " took out the little book thing he had with all the finishes for all the types of HG and pointed Rt to it and said this is it. So yeah I got taken for a ride as well!!! Hope ya worked it out. Still dealing with it ? Or did you get it right?
Old 07-23-2016, 03:14 AM
35reilly

I have a quick question off topic. CJM twin pump. Anyone know if I solder a 2.4k ohm resist in the the end to to tank temp wire. Do I just put the other end to ground?

Old 07-23-2016, 07:51 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Juztin
I went with a stock HR headgasket on my build but in hind site I'm thinking of going with like an HKS next time around.
I went with HR gaskets simply to put a 'weak link' in my build...but in reality, the best (or worst) head gaskets will not save you from a uneven block/head connection nor a bad tune!
Old 07-23-2016, 10:30 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 35reilly
Sucks!!!! I'm mean really who can you trust these days. It don't matter who it is. Unless you have equipment and know how to do that kinda work you don't know what they are doing. You just hope it's done right. But I know when u took it I. There soon as he seen the finish he said " not the right finish " took out the little book thing he had with all the finishes for all the types of HG and pointed Rt to it and said this is it. So yeah I got taken for a ride as well!!! Hope ya worked it out. Still dealing with it ? Or did you get it right?
the motor last 6-7 yrs, but always had little coolant/headgasket type issues. this last season it finally got to the point I had to pull it apart. machine shop is out of business, so no recourse that way. I rebuilt the motor and moved on
Old 07-23-2016, 10:34 AM
35reilly

Originally Posted by Zivman
the motor last 6-7 yrs, but always had little coolant/headgasket type issues. this last season it finally got to the point I had to pull it apart. machine shop is out of business, so no recourse that way. I rebuilt the motor and moved on
Yeah that how I look at mine good luck with the new one buddy!!!!!
Old 07-26-2016, 07:43 PM
35reilly

What i have been stressing about for about 8 months ( cause u never did this before ) is done!!!! Pretty simple once you do it!!!
Old 07-27-2016, 04:29 AM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Just make sure you have ALL of your o-rings installed :-)
Old 07-27-2016, 04:32 AM
35reilly

Originally Posted by Conway_160
Just make sure you have ALL of your o-rings installed :-)
Thxs man. Yeah I made sure I did/ went over everything 100 times. Lol.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:49 AM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Thats good, 3 o-rings led me to fight and oil leak for 2 years or som
Old 07-27-2016, 04:51 AM
35reilly

Originally Posted by Conway_160
Thats good, 3 o-rings led me to fight and oil leak for 2 years or som
Really?? Damn man. Got the 4 on the rear cover and two on front correct?
Old 07-27-2016, 02:47 PM
35reilly

Well got front cover on and upper pan. Little stressful tho. Just got in the back of my mind "did I do everything correctly " knowing u read manual over and over and over. I'm pretty confident tho. Starting to look like something!!!!

Old 07-27-2016, 05:03 PM
jdm-v35

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

looking good! cant wait to see it running!

What sealant did you use? Im planning to use the Honda gasket sealer as it seems to be one of the best. I used permatex red but it leaks. probably too soft.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:07 PM
35reilly

Originally Posted by jdm-v35
looking good! cant wait to see it running!

What sealant did you use? Im planning to use the Honda gasket sealer as it seems to be one of the best. I used permatex red but it leaks. probably too soft.
Thanks man!! Ultra gray. What was used last time and no issues. Seems to be the one to use according to mostly everyone I talked to and from what I read about. Crossing my fingers again!!!! Look man I did it the way it said and I read it over and over to make sure I did it right so hopefully I'm good!!!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:42 PM
jdm-v35

Cool good to know. I think the red was just too soft. It worked fine as long as theres no pressure, but my timing cover and oil pan have small leaks. ILl take a look at the ultra gray
Old 07-27-2016, 05:45 PM
35reilly

Originally Posted by jdm-v35
Cool good to know. I think the red was just too soft. It worked fine as long as theres no pressure, but my timing cover and oil pan have small leaks. ILl take a look at the ultra gray
Yeah man idk exactly what the red is for. You would have to read up on it. All u know is I was told not to use it by several people. The ultra gray was the way to go!!
Old 07-27-2016, 06:30 PM
jdm-v35

thanks for the info!! how long until you think it will be up and running? hope to see you make big power. Seeing this is definitely motivational, though I am still in the process of collecting the parts for my build.

Quick Reply: 06 TT G35 build 2nd go around