Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Ti trim build questions

Old 10-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Darth Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ti trim build questions

So my goal is to try and break into the 600+ whp range Supercharged. I have done a ton of reading on other builds to get a rough idea of what I will need to make this dream a reality. However there are still a number of things I am wondering about. It is also a 4 hour drive plus a 2 hour ferry ride each way to my tuner. So l am trying to get all my ducks in a row and as many kinks or possable set backs delt with before heading for tuning. Return trips get very costly.

So having said that I am hoping a few of the Vortech Guru's out there can make a few suggestions on possible weak points or anything I am clearly missing to make 600whp+ realty.
So here is a basic list of my current set up.

My current set up:

Engine: VQ35DE balanced/blueprinted
Wiseco 9.5:1 positions
Manley rods
Crank polished
Port & polished heads
Tomnie 272 cams
JWT springs
Ferrea valves
Apr hardware
LFR7AIX plugs

Vortech V3 sci
2.87 pulley
32/28
5.75" crank
GTM style idler
Custom radius rod

Uprev MAF
3" maf tube
Motordyne plenum spacer
Aem Meth kit (1000cc progressively)

DC ceramic headers
Berk test pipes
Megan y pipe
Invidia N1 cat back
Tuned using Osiris.

I have also swapped out the trans for a brand new CD009, JWT lightweight flywheel, and JWT HD clutch.

I have missed a bunch of stuff I am sure. But this gives you a basic rundown of my build at this point.

So this is the parts list I have compiled to complete this next upgrade.

CJM twin pump
CJM stage 3 upgrade
CJM hard pipe
CJM Twin fuel feed
Deatchwerk DW1000 injectors
AEM 2nd meth nozzle. (Bringing it up to 1500cc)

Vortech V2-ti
2.87 pulley
32/28
Vortech oil supply & return
Vortech mondo bypass valve
ATI super damper
Adding 2nd (lower) gtm style idler

Mishimoto oil cooler with oil sandwich
Treadstone Tr1245
Nason SQ-1 hobbs switch - used to run
My secondary fuel pump only under boost.

So for now my questions for the Guru's out there are as followed....

1) Is there any reason tuning with osiris
Would be an issue?

2) @ 20+ psi would the Kinetix plenum (I would have Kinetix reinforce the welds to handle the pressure) be beneficial over the motordyne spacer? I know there really isn't any big gains to have on an N/A car, but @20+ psi?

3) should the stock Vortech charge pipe from the blower to intercooler and intercooler to 3" maf tube be changed out to a larger diameter tube? Or are you guys sticking with the stock size piping and just updating the MAF tube?

4) Should the Uprev GT Maf be sufficient for this build? And will 3" maf tube be big enough? Or is a PMAS required at this point?

5) I am a little worried about running the 2. 87 pulley. The reason why is @7000 rpms with 32/28 and 6.125" crank I will be overspinning the charger by 6600 rpm. I am ok with that. But @ 7500 rpm that over spins the blower by 11000 rpm. I am VERY worried this is to much. Even though it will only be at that rpm for half a second or so. On the other hand if I run the 3.13 pulley I sit at overspinning @7000 rpm by 1500 and @7500 by 5551 rpm. Fairly safe. This is were I ask those of you over spinning your vortechs what your opinion is as to how much over spinning you guys have gotten away with safely. I typically use the car as my D.D. in the summer (120 km a day on the highway). But run the car fairly hard on the weekends. We do a lot of charity Cruise's, mountain runs and hit the track for a few 1/4 mile runs as well. So the car gets run quite hard. But again only sees 6500-7500 for a few seconds at a time. Any advise on this is greatly appreciated.

6) Is there anything else you Gurus can see that I am missing?

Sorry for the long post, and Sorry if some of these questions seem stupid (motordyne / SSV question). I live on an Island here in Canada and unfortunately My tuners shop is a 2 hour ferry ride and three hour drive away. So it is VERY costly to go back and forth to the Dyno.

Anyways I am looking forward to any input you guys can provide!!!

Thanks
Stephen
Old 10-10-2016, 05:37 PM
Logiqal

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sub'd
Old 10-11-2016, 02:03 AM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

Hi Stephen.....

So my goal is to try and break into the 600+ whp range Supercharged. I have done a ton of reading on other builds to get a rough idea of what I will need to make this dream a reality. However there are still a number of things I am wondering about. It is also a 4 hour drive plus a 2 hour ferry ride each way to my tuner. So l am trying to get all my ducks in a row and as many kinks or possable set backs delt with before heading for tuning. Return trips get very costly.

So having said that I am hoping a few of the Vortech Guru's out there can make a few suggestions on possible weak points or anything I am clearly missing to make 600whp+ realty.
So here is a basic list of my current set up.

My current set up:

Engine: VQ35DE balanced/blueprinted
Wiseco 9.5:1 positions
Manley rods
Crank polished
Port & polished heads
Tomnie 272 cams
JWT springs
Ferrea valves
Apr hardware
LFR7AIX plugs

Vortech V3 sci
2.87 pulley
32/28
5.75" crank
GTM style idler
Custom radius rod

Uprev MAF
3" maf tube
Motordyne plenum spacer
Aem Meth kit (1000cc progressively)

DC ceramic headers
Berk test pipes
Megan y pipe
Invidia N1 cat back
Tuned using Osiris.

I have also swapped out the trans for a brand new CD009, JWT lightweight flywheel, and JWT HD clutch.

I have missed a bunch of stuff I am sure. But this gives you a basic rundown of my build at this point.

So this is the parts list I have compiled to complete this next upgrade.

CJM twin pump (May need a 485/255 combo)
CJM stage 3 upgrade
CJM hard pipe
CJM Twin fuel feed
Deatchwerk DW1000 injectors
AEM 2nd meth nozzle. (Bringing it up to 1500cc)

Vortech V2-ti
2.87 pulley
32/28
Vortech oil supply & return
Vortech mondo bypass valve
ATI super damper
Adding 2nd (lower) gtm style idler

Mishimoto oil cooler with oil sandwich
Treadstone Tr1245
Nason SQ-1 hobbs switch - used to run
My secondary fuel pump only under boost.

So for now my questions for the Guru's out there are as followed....

1) Is there any reason tuning with osiris
Would be an issue?

Should be just fine.....

2) @ 20+ psi would the Kinetix plenum (I would have Kinetix reinforce the welds to handle the pressure) be beneficial over the motordyne spacer? I know there really isn't any big gains to have on an N/A car, but @20+ psi?

I use a Stock Plenum with a 3/8" Spacer and it works fine.

3) should the stock Vortech charge pipe from the blower to intercooler and intercooler to 3" maf tube be changed out to a larger diameter tube? Or are you guys sticking with the stock size piping and just updating the MAF tube?

No need, spend the money else where.

4) Should the Uprev GT Maf be sufficient for this build? And will 3" maf tube be big enough? Or is a PMAS required at this point?

I think this should work fine.

5) I am a little worried about running the 2. 87 pulley. The reason why is @7000 rpms with 32/28 and 6.125" crank I will be overspinning the charger by 6600 rpm. I am ok with that. But @ 7500 rpm that over spins the blower by 11000 rpm. I am VERY worried this is to much. Even though it will only be at that rpm for half a second or so. On the other hand if I run the 3.13 pulley I sit at overspinning @7000 rpm by 1500 and @7500 by 5551 rpm. Fairly safe. This is were I ask those of you over spinning your vortechs what your opinion is as to how much over spinning you guys have gotten away with safely. I typically use the car as my D.D. in the summer (120 km a day on the highway). But run the car fairly hard on the weekends. We do a lot of charity Cruise's, mountain runs and hit the track for a few 1/4 mile runs as well. So the car gets run quite hard. But again only sees 6500-7500 for a few seconds at a time. Any advise on this is greatly appreciated.

You can read my setup in my sign. i spin my V2 SC-Trim to 62,355 rpm, and have for about 40,000 miles lots of hard pulls on the street and a ton of drag racing. No Problems so far. But with a modified car anything can happen.

The V2 Ti-Trim is an HD Blower and is Very Stout, not like the street blower I have.

6) Is there anything else you Gurus can see that I am missing?

Sorry for the long post, and Sorry if some of these questions seem stupid (motordyne / SSV question). I live on an Island here in Canada and unfortunately My tuners shop is a 2 hour ferry ride and three hour drive away. So it is VERY costly to go back and forth to the Dyno.

Anyways I am looking forward to any input you guys can provide!!!

Thanks
Stephen
Old 10-11-2016, 08:47 AM
Darth Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you oldmanZ350. I have been following your build for years. My hat is off to you!!!

For my CJM twin pump I might as well run the 255/485 combo. The price difference is nothing. I am assuming you guys are running your pumps straight off the battery via a relay? I know I will be doing that with my secondary pump with the adjustable hobbs switch, so might as well run thw primary pump off the battery to?

There any other reason you might see for not hitting 600whp +?
Old 10-11-2016, 09:20 AM
OldManZ350

I'm on a single DW300 Pump....

You should be well over 600whp
Old 10-16-2016, 12:59 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Wow good amount of parts! Good luck on your numbers, OP.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:29 PM
philthethrill

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

im doing this same build or very close , are parts list are similar. although im running fluid dampr instade of ati. my tune will be done this feb. good luck with your build keep us updated
Old 12-14-2016, 06:17 PM
philthethrill

what size injectors? im debating between 1700 and 2k. buying tomorrow
Old 12-14-2016, 08:43 PM
OldManZ350

you what to mach the flow iof the injectors with the flow of the fuel pump or pumps

that said 1200cc IMO would be a better choose

Last edited by OldManZ350; 12-14-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:10 AM
philthethrill

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
you what to mach the flow iof the injectors with the flow of the fuel pump or pumps

that said 1200cc IMO would be a better choose
for e85? is that enough