Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Methanol Injection with "Top Lube"

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 09:36 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Methanol Injection with "Top Lube"

I was advised to start using top lube with my water methanol injection kit with my 100% Methanol mixture. Methanol, if you read about it, is veeery corrosive to rubber and aluminum and often leads white spotting on surfaces since it also dries it out quite a bit. The lube would reduce friction and corrosion and keep your Methanol pump lasting a long time.

I bought a bottle of Power Plus Methanol Fuel lube and added a capfull in my 2.5 gallon meth tank. Other than the grape scent of the lube, I've noticed no changes to performance. Is it worth continuing or is this just a snake oil product? Would like to hear it from folks running water methanol kits on their FI Z or G. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2016, 12:03 PM
GaryDEvans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not know if that will help any with corrosion but after years of testing straight distilled water and various percentages of methanol I have gone back to straight water. I have about 15 years experience with water injection most of which from use on two turbocharged bikes and after many hours on the dyno have never seen enough improvement from methanol to justify the damage it does to most metals.
Water alone does an excellent job of preventing detonation but even through it cools the combustion process it does little to increase power. I think it may be because for every bit of water or water/methanol you add it is displacing fuel and cc for cc the gasoline will generate more power than either everything else being equal.
You will find there are a lot of opinions on this subject but many may be from internet posts rather than actual dyno testing.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:14 PM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by GaryDEvans
I do not know if that will help any with corrosion but after years of testing straight distilled water and various percentages of methanol I have gone back to straight water. I have about 15 years experience with water injection most of which from use on two turbocharged bikes and after many hours on the dyno have never seen enough improvement from methanol to justify the damage it does to most metals.
Water alone does an excellent job of preventing detonation but even through it cools the combustion process it does little to increase power. I think it may be because for every bit of water or water/methanol you add it is displacing fuel and cc for cc the gasoline will generate more power than either everything else being equal.
You will find there are a lot of opinions on this subject but many may be from internet posts rather than actual dyno testing.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. And I agree, I've read alot of opinions/post praising different mixtures as being the best for their setup so it makes it kinda hard to pick what would be best for me, often with no proof to show their gains.

I originally went with the Methanol Injection kit with the hope of increasing my octane rating under boost and help cool my intake air temps. I've only increased my advance timing by two degrees and saw good gains with my data logging. Haven't really tried pure water as I am still learning to tune and it's much easier to just take fuel away from the main map to compensate for the Methanol sprayed in the incoming airflow. Did you just tune for a much leaner AFRs/Lambda with 100% water injection?
Old 11-05-2016, 07:20 AM
GaryDEvans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always targeted for at least 11 - 12.5 at WOT. Changing the mixture did not produce a measurable change in HP. The advantage in my experience has just been the ability to safely use a higher boost level. To do so does however require a bullet proof delivery system as detonation is unforgiving.
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 01:02 PM
BluestreamDE

I understand. Thanks for passing on the knowledge. I appreciate it. I have a boost activated switch which turns the meth pump on at 100% at a certain PSI with no failsafe ATM. I will need to fix that as I have about 15-16% fuel taken away with all the Methanol I'm spraying. AFRs will shoot up to mid to high 13s under WOT if the pump goes out, God forbid.

I will just keep watch on the corrosion and check my aluminum piping and Kinetix manifold once and a while and check for any pitting or damage. I don't think it's a bad thing to have a little bit of top lube mixed for good measure as long as performance isn't affected negativly. I may change my injection mixture if I feel that water would be better for cooling for my setup. Thanks for your help!