Here's the shroud as it came. The fans they supply suck. They are single speed and the way it comes wired means full power on both if either stock level is on and they don't feel like they move any more than the stock setup on LOW:
!4" Spal's installed. It's a tight fit, you have to orient the fans with the flattend sides vertical:
The fans are VA08-AP71/LL-53A (30102042_2056), high performance 14". Why these ones? Simple, the 12" extreme's don't fit (too deep), the straight blade 14" version pulls less CFM then a 12" high performance (30102038). So it came down to two. The 12" moves more cfm if the resistance is greater than about 10 mmH2O pressure differential through the rad. The 14" moves more less than that.
So I setup a quick and dirty manometer by drilling a fitting into the stock shroud and measured it at idle on full fans (used the haltech to force them on). Result was 5.5 mmH20, so the 14s win.
In the car:
I made all new wiring using heavy gauge wire from a sub install kit. New fan connectors, fuse from battery, SSR to duty cycle installed by the ECU on a heat sink.
Here's my fan map on the generic duty cycle output:
Frequency is around 85 Hz, with this current level (~40 Amps) the SSR is limited to around 250 Hz, and the sound is audible in the garage without the engine running, so I played around to find the least resonant one.
The quick 0 to 50% transitions are because low duty cycles under 10% ish don't start the fans, so I've set it well below normal temps so the fans go from 0 to 50 as fast as possible. It then smoothly scales to 100 at the temperature I'd like to hold. I may change the 50% to 40% in the spring.
I've got a gauge on my display for the fan duty cycle along with the coolant and oil temps so I can see whats going on.