Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Swapped Bodies, Greddy TT Setup Now Runs Hot

Old 10-09-2017, 05:46 AM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Swapped Bodies, Greddy TT Setup Now Runs Hot

Hey guys,

I had my engine/drivetrain/turbo kit in a G sedan and it ran just fine. Just finished swapping into my new Z body and now it runs hot. It doesn't overheat, but the coolant is always between 200-210 Fahrenheit cruising or driving hard or just idling. I noticed the radiator fans do not turn off once they turn on for the day.

Obviously I've spent the past few days bleeding the system, and even relocated my overflow to be sure this wasn't the issue.

I'm wondering if my new mishimoto dual pass oil cooler is a farce? There are no signs that the fluid is being forced to flow in a dual pass manor... (ie weld marks where a plate would be separating the chamber internally) I have a hunch that the fluid is just going straight from the inlet to the outlet of the cooler judging by the cool temperature on the outside of most of the cooler and the fact that the outlet temp seems to be about the same as the inlet temp.

So... Would a faulty oil cooler cause my symptoms? The oil cooler is all that has changed in this new vehicle. I had a smaller oil cooler in the G, but the entire thing was expelling heat. with this one the entire left side is hot, but the right side is ambient temp...

Is it air restriction? I am running the crash bar this time around. Any thoughts or ideas would help.

Here is the cooler I have. See how there are no weld marks like the one below it?

Last edited by yosip1115; 10-09-2017 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Try replacing your thermostat.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:37 AM
yosip1115

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
Try replacing your thermostat.
Tstat and engine have 35k on them. Are you thinking the Tstat is not opening all of the way?
Old 10-09-2017, 08:42 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Yeah, that was my initial thought. What kind of tstat are you running?
Old 10-09-2017, 09:23 AM
yosip1115

Yeah, that was my initial thought. What kind of tstat are you running?
Something to consider definitely. I am running the OEM one, nothing special.

Is this a common thing? I'd like to verify that it is in fact not opening all of the way before buying parts
Old 10-09-2017, 10:13 AM
Atreyu'z 350

No, it's not common for them to fail or become stuck at 35k, but anything is possible, and because it's an easy part to replace and diagnose, I would eliminate that first.. To test, get the car up to operating temperature, and with the car running, feel both hoses(upper and lower). They should both be at similar temperatures and very warm to the touch. Another way, with the car still running. Squeeze the lower hose as if trying to flatten it. Upon releasing, you should 'feel' the surge of coolant running through as you release your grip.. A third way, with the car still running at operating temperature. Squeeze the lower hose. If it's very 'tight' and won't compress. That can also mean a stuck thermostat.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:28 AM
yosip1115

No, it's not common for them to fail or become stuck at 35k, but anything is possible, and because it's an easy part to replace and diagnose, I would eliminate that first.. To test, get the car up to operating temperature, and with the car running, feel both hoses(upper and lower). They should both be at similar temperatures and very warm to the touch. Another way, with the car still running. Squeeze the lower hose as if trying to flatten it. Upon releasing, you should 'feel' the surge of coolant running through as you release your grip.. A third way, with the car still running at operating temperature. Squeeze the lower hose. If it's very 'tight' and won't compress. That can also mean a stuck thermostat.
Thank you for the advice first off.

I actually have a spare on the second engine I have. Derp.

I can tell you right now that the top line was hot and the bottom line was cold last time I felt around. The top of the radiator was scalding at the time and the fans were on. Both lines were extremely firm and resisted flattening, I have a strong grip and they were not pinching any time soon. I will swap the thermostat after work.

I'm curious, does the thermostat control the fans or just coolant flow? I was under the impression that the thermostat was both a thermostat and a thermostatic switch; signaling the fans to kick on. Now I'm thinking the fans are triggered from the ECU/coolant temp sensor, so even though they are on coolant is not flowing thru the tstat/ radiator.

Last edited by yosip1115; 10-09-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Not a problem, bro. And yeah, those symptoms lead me to believe that you're having a thermostat issue.

The thermostat controls coolant flow only. The fans are controlled by the ECU, and that decision is governed by the input the ECU receives by the coolant temperature sensor on the back of the engine. That sensor will ''tell'' the ECU to turn the fans on between 195 and 215 degrees, and will do so until the temperature drops to below that threshold.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:30 PM
yosip1115

I swapped the thermostat and I actually heard the fans kick off for once. I didn't get to really test it though, my overflow line is leaking which is probably adding to the problem. I'm getting a new one on Wednesday. Will update then.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:31 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by yosip1115
the coolant is always between 200-210 Fahrenheit cruising or driving hard or just idling.
Isnt 205-ish normal??

I'm wondering if my new mishimoto dual pass oil cooler is a farce? There are no signs that the fluid is being forced to flow in a dual pass manor... (ie weld marks where a plate would be separating the chamber internally) I have a hunch that the fluid is just going straight from the inlet to the outlet of the cooler judging by the cool temperature on the outside of most of the cooler and the fact that the outlet temp seems to be about the same as the inlet temp.
I would laugh my @$$ off ... although it wouldnt change my opinion of mishi bc I already think theyre a zero to start...my C&R is dual and weld marks are very apparent! Do investigate!!!
Old 10-10-2017, 04:30 AM
yosip1115

Originally Posted by bealljk
Isnt 205-ish normal??

I would laugh my @$$ off ... although it wouldnt change my opinion of mishi bc I already think theyre a zero to start...my C&R is dual and weld marks are very apparent! Do investigate!!!
for some 205 is normal, but that would be in some high heat.

I've had a few of these vehicles, and always noted the radiator fans kicking on and off, not staying on constantly. That is what tells me something is up.

Regarding the oil cooler, I'm investigating a bit tomorrow night. I'm not 100% yet after feeling it yesterday again.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:40 AM
Atreyu'z 350

I swapped the thermostat and I actually heard the fans kick off for once. I didn't get to really test it though, my overflow line is leaking which is probably adding to the problem. I'm getting a new one on Wednesday. Will update then.

Good stuff.. And a leaking overflow line wouldn't add to this, but a blocked one will.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:10 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Have you tried going back to stock to use the process of elimination?

More air = more fuel

More fuel = more boom

More boom = more heat

But yea if you lose an oil cooler your oil will be hotter than when you had one.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:56 PM
yosip1115

Originally Posted by CK_32
Have you tried going back to stock to use the process of elimination?

More air = more fuel

More fuel = more boom

More boom = more heat

But yea if you lose an oil cooler your oil will be hotter than when you had one.
I'm not sure that I'm about to rip my engine out again to to back to stock at this point, haha. And turbo cars are more fuel efficient than stock cars when you stay out of boost. They burn less fuel in those instances.

I'm fairly certain the problem is the surface finish on the lower seal inside the radiator cap cavity. I'm seeing it push fluid out of the overflow and if I squeeze the upper radiator hose it influences fluid motion in the overflow tank even though the upper and lower rad hoses are soft. This is with engine up to temp. I'll report back.

Oh yeah and the oil cooler is doing well, what I felt was heat transfer on the outside of the outlet hose from the inlet when the engine was really warm diagnosing cooling issues. The oil itself was cool from what I've been feeling. I'd like to verify one day with a gauge.

Edit:
Just fixed the surface finish but it's still acting the same with either cap.

Upper hose is warm and easy to flatten when car is running and hot
Lower hose is very cold and no longer hard to flatten when hot/running
heat works
Fans kick on and stay on, but car doesn't overheat
no rushing of fluid feeling when releasing hoses, but I have silicon hoses and they're sort of stiff so that could be why I don't feel the fluid.
System sucks water from overflow as it cools as it should

It's not normal for the fans to stay on at this ambient temp with this radiator, it's about 55 degrees out. I also think the hoses are too soft when at operating temp.

What do you think Atreyu?

Last edited by yosip1115; 10-12-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:17 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
that would be a pretty bad oil cooler without a plate in the middle of the ports.

Shine a line in one port and see if you can see it from the other or even snake a zip tie or something to see if you can feel the barrier.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:23 AM
yosip1115

Originally Posted by Cux350z
that would be a pretty bad oil cooler without a plate in the middle of the ports.

Shine a line in one port and see if you can see it from the other or even snake a zip tie or something to see if you can feel the barrier.
I'll definitely investigate this further one day and will post up about it, especially if I find a lack of flow diversion.

For the time being I just want to fix this coolant system issue so I can drive car I just dumped thousands into and spent 3 months straight working on after work 470 wheel hp!!!

I'm probably going to get into some sort of pressure testing this weekend

Last edited by yosip1115; 10-13-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:27 AM
yosip1115

Oil cap got milky this morning when warming up after replacing the thermostat gasket and pressure testing.

HEAD GASKET, Fml

I'm thinking I'll tear it down.

Arp studs
New gaskets
Water pump orings

Not sure what else I should replace when I'm in there

Last edited by yosip1115; 10-14-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:21 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Not sure what else I should replace when I'm in there
Ask this question once you get that far? You'll know more once things are exposed.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:04 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

just milky under the cap or your entire oil pan?
Old 10-14-2017, 04:48 PM
yosip1115

Originally Posted by Cux350z
just milky under the cap or your entire oil pan?

I took a sample by cracking a fitting on my oil cooler and draining some into a cup. The oil is a grayish brown and it's only 800 miles old and it's the good stuff, amsoil. It doesn't seem to have much to it when you rub it between your fingers. Thin, not slippery. Not like amsoil usually is... The milky color was just under the cap.

I also monitored coolant pressure when revving/idling but that actually held steady except a 1-2psi spike when I revved it. This is with a setup which eliminates the radiator cap's ability to vent. I figured a noticeable rise in pressure would be seen if exhaust/combustion gasses were entering the cooling system.

The coolant system does not leak at all at 15PSI for 10+ mins. But...

The coolant system doesn't build pressure on it's own though. It builds maybe 5psi idling even with the radiator fans on. I pumped it up to 5 psi cold, started it, and it did not build up any pressure as the engine warmed up for 3-5 minutes. Concerning...

I fill to the top, squeeze the hoses to work the bubbles out, fill expansion tank, idle it, crack bleeder. Air never stops coming out and it doesn't build much pressure. Can still squeeze hoses flat, unlike when I pumped it up to 15psi.

I figured the thermostat leak was it but now I'm thinking either boost in the other car got to it, or the stuck thermostat caused the engine to overheat without telling me on the gauge because the gauges are useless. It's not showing all of the signs of a head gasket which is odd though. I think that's just denial speaking...

Last edited by yosip1115; 10-14-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Search this Thread