Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

COMPARISON: Greddy TT fuel / timing solutions

Old 04-11-2004, 09:30 PM
slay2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post COMPARISON: Greddy TT fuel / timing solutions

I'm sure I will make some mistakes here and forget things, so feel free to chime in and bear with me. I will be purchasing a Greddy TT very soon, and want this thread to be useful for everyone else in my shoes.

I talked to a bunch of you guys in private, so I hope you don't mind me posting certain details of your setup and discussing it in public. I feel it's for the good of the community.. so I hope you guys are cool with it.

1. Stock Kit With Intercooler:

- Installed from the box, the Greddy TT should run a bit rich at around 5.7psi, putting down something around 340-350rwhp.
- Fuel Solution: eManage with 440cc Injectors
- Timing Solution: NONE
- Cons: A few complained of idling/starting problems. Plus running rich isn't the greatest thing either. Weakest boost setting.
- Pros: No further work necessary, enjoying boost right away.

SUMMARY:Nice WHP from the box, runs a bit rich.

2. Spazpilot's Setup:

- Greddy TT putting down 402whp and 380wtq at 8psi
- Fuel Solution: Walbros pump combined with a fuel regulator. PE 380cc injectors and TS "PE reflash" set for 8.5psi, but run at 8psi daily.
- Timing: TS reflash for the PE setup. According to spaz, A/F runs perfect (11.4 - 11.6) all the way to 7100 redline.
- Cons: Smaller injectors may make it harder to boost too much more. (But then you'd have to rebuild engine anyway). Extra cost of TS flash ($500?), injectors, fuel pump, regulator and some labor. Also makes it hard to tune for higher boost (reflashes). Plus, running at a lower psi (<8) with the reflash, such as for daily driving, could result in running way too rich?
- Pros: Supposed to run great. No idling problems, ideal A/F ratio. Puts down a solid 400whp. No need to butcher the engine harness for the 440s or the eManage.

SUMMARY:With some small sacrifices and a few extra parts, this looks like a solid solution for those seeking 400whp.

3. 03_ppw350z's Setup:

- Greddy TT putting down 418whp (non-corrected?) and 385wtq
- Fuel: Walbro pump + Aeromotive Regulator, with eManage custom-modified after 7.5psi and 440cc injectors
- Timing: TS reflash (without fuel)
- Cons: Currently running very rich up until 5500rpm, but 11.6 up top and he's working on tuning it to lean it out a bit. Extra costs of TS reflash, fuel pump & regulator, and custom tuning the eManage fuel map.
- Pros: Allows plenty of room for growth with the 440's.

SUMMARY:Too early to see, but if the A/F ratio is properly tuned, this setup has alot of potential, above 400whp.

4. Anonymous setup:

- There are definitely a few people on the board who have been using the eManage to control timing as well as fuel, using the harness.

Supposedly Ultimate Racing figured out a way to do this without a hitch, so does anyone wanna chime in and answer these questions?

a) What exactly is required for this to work ?
b) Has anyone done this ? If so, at what PSI and with what extra additions (fuel pump, etc) ?
c) Why don't more people try this solution ? Are there problems with it ?

-----------------------------------

If you read this far, thanks for being patient. I threw this together rather quickly so please don't yell at me for any wrong or missed pros/cons/whatever.

Also, I know I missed out some major setups like Skidazzle & t32 (abbrev.) but they are custom setups that cost big bucks, so I didn't want to throw them in right away; although they are more than welcome to be discussed.

My goal is to get the Greddy and set it up with a boost controller for a low-psi daily drive and a higher-psi drag setup. It would also be nice to retain the possibility to go over 8psi in the future, in case I rebuild my motor, but this is far from a necessity.

All input is respectfully welcome.
-Slay

PS: I will be doing my install/tuning in the tri-state (NY/NJ/PA) area... in case you guys want to recommend some high-grade tuners.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:48 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slay

This is a good write up. Helpful.

--G
Old 04-12-2004, 02:39 AM
spazpilot

Slay:

I think if you want to go much above 8.5psi you might want to consider keeping the emanage. In my setup one major downfall is that much above 8.5psi I get what is called limp mode due to the fact that there is no clamp on the stock mass sensor. With the emange you can clamp it and use the Map sensor (not included but does come with the E01 if you use that combo) for tuning passed what the stock mass can handle. This is something to look at. As for Greddy emanage and timing. It is only a matter of time till it does get release with a timing map IMO. 03_ppw350z's setup is a great setup if your looking for major power and like you said my setup is great if your looking for a solid setup with a goal of not wanting to do internal engine work.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:22 AM
etx

I'm going to do a write up on how I installed the E-Manage timing harness right now. It's working well so far. I want to get the TS flash so that my emanage does not have to pull so much fuel via the maf sensor voltage. It seems to be causing a rough idle, it's not bad. It kind of shudders a little at idle once it's warm. I think this is just due to the larger injectors, not the timing control. I bypassed the ignition and it was still doing the same thing.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:37 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you summarized the options very clearly. Kenji at Greddy is in the process of testing a modified iginition timing harness for use with the kit. To stop the coil frying side effects, I think they are installing some simple capacitors or resisitors. I am not very good with electronics so I couldnt exactly udnerstand everything they were doing, but sounded like a pretty easy fix. I think this what Ulitimate Racing is doing to get the timing piece working reliably with the Z.

Kenji also spoke about the MAP sensor option if you boost more than 8psi. This, in my opinion, is the best solution. The car will use MAF sensor under normal cruise condition, and the bypass the MAF and use the optional MAP sensor under boost conditions. Greddy is also working on that solution, and will recommend an upgraded fuel pump and regulator for boosting above 8psi.

I think we are just at the begining of the performance spectrum with the Greddy kit...more to come later!

ETX, I am looking forward to your rightup on the timing harness installation step-by-step.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:38 AM
SirMikel1

Romy, in the cons section of spazpilot's setup you have that if you run lower than 8 psi, you can end up running really rich. One way to effectively remedy that is to add on an s-afcII. Us the TS reflash to map your fuel, then if you need to run less than 8 psi, you can use the S-afcII to fine tune and lean the mixure out even more. Or you can use the emanage instead of the S-afcII and do the exact same thing.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:03 AM
slay2k

Werd mike, that's a good point. I do like spaz's setup alot.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:14 PM
92hatchattack

so what exactly can u do with the e-manage>?? what the hell does the thing do??? .. doesnt pull timing and is set to run at 5.6 psi only???? and its not tunable??? someone please explaine???

are there any standalone ecu's bein made for our car so we can skip all the BS and piggyback units?????
Old 04-13-2004, 05:36 PM
03_ppw350z

emanage will take care of fuel, timming , etc.. add the e01 to it it will become a guage boost controller and will have inputs to hook up your wideband or other guages. i like the emanage very much! the emanage is indeed tunable!
Old 04-13-2004, 05:42 PM
slay2k

Only problem is not too many people know how to tune it... especially with regards to timing. :/
Old 04-13-2004, 06:00 PM
92hatchattack

Originally posted by 03_ppw350z
emanage will take care of fuel, timming , etc.. add the e01 to it it will become a guage boost controller and will have inputs to hook up your wideband or other guages. i like the emanage very much! the emanage is indeed tunable!

does the emanage come with the tuning software????

what exactly is the e01???

is there any good info write ups out there about these products and how they work so i can enlighten myself????
Old 04-13-2004, 06:15 PM
basam350z

How anyone thought of using the Split Second box that the Vortech Sc comes with for a TT set up. The things controls timing, fuel and is very easy to tune. I'm not sure how it acts with larger injectors or limp mode??