Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Hole in rear-side panel

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 07:10 PM
youthcollector1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hole in rear-side panel

Hello all,
I'm not a car guy presee, but am a member of several fora for historical artifacts. Diving home last night some drunk left their bummer in the middle of the road. I tried to avoid it, but wasn't able to. The pictures tell the damage better than I can.
I was just curious if anyone knew a rough est. of the cost to repair such damage. Many thanks in advance. I forgot to add it's a 2009 Infiniti G-37s

Attachment 367077Attachment 367079Hole in rear-side panel-image.jpg

Sorry, your photo uploaded is different than I'm use to.

Last edited by youthcollector1; 08-22-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:38 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to the forum, just a shame your first post is about someone tearing you a new one. I'm sorry, i couldn't help myself. Have you tried contacting the group closest to you who will be able to point you in the direction of a reputable bodyshop?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:59 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Do you have a pic further away?

There is no fixing that other than a new fender. Pricey, but numbers vary by region so you're better off going to an actual body shop than asking for estimates on here.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:25 AM
youthcollector1

Hey guys, thanks for the kind welcome. My apologies for the inquiry, I thought such subjects were the purpose here but looking through past threads it appears they're not. I know all to well how annoying a new member can be with their one post followed shortly by never being heard of again...not even a thank you. That is not me.
Searching google I find a past thread such as mine. This is the reason I posted this here.
I will do my best to add a photograph from a far. Really just looking for a rough estimate as it's the weekend and the body shops aren't open, nothing definitive. Possible something like the price of a new fender for the manufacture(I can't seem to find ANYTHING myself)? Luckily I have insurance, obviously, and also have a family member who owns his own body/collision shop. Again, thank you all in advance.
Hole in rear-side panel-image.jpg

Last edited by youthcollector1; 08-23-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:27 AM
youthcollector1

One more:
Hole in rear-side panel-image.jpg
Sorry for the double post, it will only allow me to post one picture per reply when using the iPhone 5.
Just looking at the damage in the photographs brakes my heart. Either the idiot that loss his bummer or the tow truck driver needs this to happen to them(if it was the owner of the bummer fault, I guess it kinda already has lol).

Last edited by youthcollector1; 08-23-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:19 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

The second picture shows quite a bit of damage to the rear quarterpanel, which is a welded section. Good thing you have insurance, as that repair will certainly be in excess of $2K with any good bodyshop. I just have a hard time visualizing how a loose bumper can do such damage...
Old 08-23-2014, 12:40 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Since your family member owns a body shop, you can be assured that the repair will be done to a high standard. The most pressing question for you is how to explain the circumstances to the insurance adjuster. Typically being fully insured means having liability, collision and comprehensive coverage. A claim under the collision provision will be considered an ‘at fault claim’ and will raise your annual insurance cost. Also, most people select a $500 to $1500 deductible when buying collision insurance. A claim under your comprehensive coverage is not considered an at fault claim and the deductible is normally about $300 or less.

Obviously you want this to be covered under the comprehensive part of your policy if possible. In addition to fire and theft comprehensive covers objects that damage your car. A rock to the windshield, tree falling on roof etc. basically anything that hits the car. Collision covers anything you run into. One of the secrets of life is to always be creative. If the bumper was stationary in the road and you ran into it, the higher cost collision part of your policy will cover it. However if the bumper was bouncing diagonally across the road etc and struck you, that will be a lot cheaper.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:35 PM
youthcollector1

Originally Posted by dkmura
The second picture shows quite a bit of damage to the rear quarterpanel, which is a welded section. Good thing you have insurance, as that repair will certainly be in excess of $2K with any good bodyshop. I just have a hard time visualizing how a loose bumper can do such damage...
I have no idea, but that's what did it, I'm sure of this. It was positioned like the following diagram...[_]...I assume it kicked up once the tire ran it over and being at a high velocity, pushed through the car with a sharp edge(maybe the shape edge was created when the car loss it's bumper in the wreak?). I was also going somewhere around 70-75 mph when it happened which may be a contributing factor as well.
Thank you for the rough est. It's, however, quite depressing as I was thinking somewhere in the ballpark of 800-1,200usd and certainly nowhere near the excess of 2k.

Jennifer 2, wow, what a helpful post. I actually had no idea there was such a thing as "comprehensive coverage".
So to reiterate what you're conveying to me, I should say a bumper was bouncing around on the highway and ran into me? And by doing this, my rate will stay the same and I only have to pay three-hundred dollars? Fyi, my deductible is a thousand dollars, so if it's going to cause my rate to go up by 500-1,500 a year, I'm just going to let my wallet take the hit, not unlike my car lol, and leave the insurance company out of it. Again, thank you so much, you've been of great help.

I think the best way to word this would be, "another vehicle ran over a bumper which was in the middle of the road and kicked from underneath their tire resulting in said object crashing into my car," no?

Last edited by youthcollector1; 08-24-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:26 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Regardless of what you say, your insurance will probably want a witness confirming what happened (especially with the cost). Don't expect them to believe you, it'll probably end up under collision.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_sear...14_715_846_851

Parts alone:
$550 for the fender - the price in the link doesn't include shipping or tax (guaranteed a body shop will charge more)
~$100 pigment
~$150 activator and reducer
~$50-75 clear

You're looking at ~$900 bare minimum for materials alone. (and I'm assuming a primed fender is coming, otherwise you'll need to add cleaners, addhesive promoters, and primer)

Count labor (deconstruction/cut, fit, weld, prep, paint). I'm going to say at least $2000 (sourcing a lot of your own materials) - $3000 (body shop taking care of everything for you).