Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

my first mod: plenum spacer *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:21 PM
green183

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
How about the 14 gained here. http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...ARGER-TEST.pdf i'm sure it varies from car to car. May i should pull mine off and try with just the spacer, and see what the differences feel like.

do some more research before you repost something else man.... we should start a new thread on which give you more whp gains b/t the plenum spacer and the popcharger, and you will see for sure. 99.9% for the spacer and .09 is your vote for the popcharger
Old 07-10-2007, 11:25 PM
black06z

Spacer>Popcharger?? hmmm. *adds MD spacer to the future mods list*
Old 07-11-2007, 12:15 AM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your hood bulge out a bit after the install cuz of raised strut bar height?
Mine did..I'm running no strut bar right now..

Last edited by gsazabi; 07-11-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:29 AM
kaos1

plenum spacer gives you more gain, but the dirty engine bay decreases hp!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:25 AM
ssgohan434

Originally Posted by gsazabi
Does your hood bulge out a bit after the install cuz of raised strut bar height?
Mine did..I'm running now strut bar right now..
I went over and looked over his install, it looks perfect. He has plenty of clearance between the strutbar and the plenum, and the hood isn't raised at all when closed. Lol, he was asking me what I was doing when I was looking at the hood at all the weird angles to see if it bulged.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:36 AM
DustinZ33

If you're running the 5/16" spacer, you don't need to use strut bar spacers. Your stock strut bar will fit without spacers under the brackets. Also, I installed a popcharger on my car a few weeks ago. It's the only aftermarket part on my car at this time. Let me tell you, there is no way that my car gain 14whp. If anything, I think I may be losing power due to heat soak. I will test the popcharger against my stock box in the fall. I have a '06 base. There are so many variables that can affect a dyno.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:01 AM
gsazabi

Originally Posted by DustinZ33
If you're running the 5/16" spacer, you don't need to use strut bar spacers. Your stock strut bar will fit without spacers under the brackets.
Wrong. Not enough clearance w/o the spacers.
I'm having clearance problems even WITH the spacers installed.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:08 AM
gsazabi

Originally Posted by ssgohan434
I went over and looked over his install, it looks perfect. He has plenty of clearance between the strutbar and the plenum, and the hood isn't raised at all when closed. Lol, he was asking me what I was doing when I was looking at the hood at all the weird angles to see if it bulged.
Do you mind posting up another detailed pic of how much clearance you're getting
between the strutbar and the plenum?
When mine was installed the stock strutbar tensions/settings didn't have
much clearance even with spacers, resulting strut rubbing against plenum.
So I has to adjust the strut bar height in order to get more clearance, and that ended up buldging my hood out a bit.
I wanna re-install my strut bar asap, but I can't seems to find the right settings.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:17 AM
skaterbasist

I think the pop charger was more of a gain than your spacer.
Yeah, if you believe 1 HP is greater than 10 hp

A pop charger will not yield anything; if you "feel" gains, its just the sound messing with your mind.

Actually, I think the pop charger is worse than the OEM airbox because it has such bad protection against heat-soak.

In the other hand, a spacer WILL yield far greater results than an intake could ever wish it did.

Plenum Spacer > Intake

PS. Don't ever believe the manufacture dyno's; too many factors to include in these results.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:28 AM
ssgohan434

Do you mind posting up another detailed pic of how much clearance you're getting
between the strutbar and the plenum?
When mine was installed the stock strutbar tensions/settings didn't have
much clearance even with spacers, resulting strut rubbing against plenum.
So I has to adjust the strut bar height in order to get more clearance, and that ended up buldging my hood out a bit.
I wanna re-install my strut bar asap, but I can't seems to find the right settings.
\he has about atleast 1/4" of space between the spacer and plenum. Ill see if he can throw some pics on later today
Old 07-11-2007, 09:34 AM
gsazabi

\he has about atleast 1/4" of space between the spacer and plenum. Ill see if he can throw some pics on later today
1/4" of the lowest two spots where it dips in? or is it in the center. Cuz that makes significant difference.
Thanks I'll look forward to it.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Zmazing03

I just had MD 5/16th installed this weekend. Strut bar is still there, and my hood doesn't bulge.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:30 AM
DustinZ33

Wrong. Not enough clearance w/o the spacers.
I'm having clearance problems even WITH the spacers installed.
Well I apologize. I was under the impression that it would work with a 5/16" spacer but not a 5/8" spacer. I do not have a plenum spacer so I was rely on memory of hear/say.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:41 AM
ksandhu29

thats what someone was tellin me, after i installed my spacer some dude (ssgohan434) who also has a z said that there sometimes is bulge on the hood and he looked and said it looks fine, it happens to some z's idk y though, i know if i would have got a 1/2 inch spacer there would definitly be bulge, i got lucky, you should get a 07 hood, thats y the 07 has the hump on the hood cuz they put a spacer in stock 07 350z
Old 07-11-2007, 11:45 AM
ksandhu29

haha, yeah ill put another pic on tonight to show that, but that reminded me of how dumb i was, there's a little ziploc bag of the new strut bar spacers and bolts, i forgot about the bag, haha, and i installed it and i was like y is the strut bar touching the plenum, then i looked to my side and i was like CRAP! so i had to take the bar off and do it again. then i had space between the bar and plenum
Old 07-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by MC
yeah i gotta go with the spacer as being far more noticable on a 03-05 Z than any CAI or short ram intake due to the efficency of the stock intake
I noticed maybe one or two hp from the spacer but noticeda ton more from my CAI. the stock intake is not efficient at all lol. Have you seen the crazy plastic and foam ducting? lol.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Lawy'dU

How about the 14 gained here. http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...ARGER-TEST.pdf i'm sure it varies from car to car. May i should pull mine off and try with just the spacer, and see what the differences feel like.
haha no it didn't lol. you got that from dsport lol.

p.s. learn the language, then type lol.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:33 PM
BaTMan_4

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
I noticed maybe one or two hp from the spacer but noticeda ton more from my CAI. the stock intake is not efficient at all lol. Have you seen the crazy plastic and foam ducting? lol.
another person that thinks the SRi/CAI gives more gains than a plenum spacer....wtf are you all smoking?!?!?! maybe just maybe you are joking since u put the "lol" after your sentences.... hopefully

we should all make this clear though...the '06 stock air intake is the one that works the best with a high flow filter such as a K&N, close after that it would basically be the Stillen intake since it actually fights heat soak.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:59 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

haha no it didn't lol. you got that from dsport lol.

p.s. learn the language, then type lol.
????? WFT , go to JWT and guess what , that link is there.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:53 PM
BootieMAN

How can you notice 1 or 2 hp from a butt dyno? Gains that low are impossible to "feel". Even dyno runs back to back will differ a couple of hp's from one run to another.

Are you sure the spacer is installed correctly and that you don't have a leak? A plenum spacer is a mod most people should feel an improvment in hp and response.

Quick Reply: my first mod: plenum spacer *pics*