Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Berk metallic high-flow cats broke apart after 13 months of use (N/A)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Dave B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NIZZMO
From what I have researched ,Im not going to worry about the Berk HFC's I ordered
seems like Berk is a stand up company that will stand behind there product.
That's great they stand behind their product, but clearly there is a flaw in the design of the cat. I think it would get rather annoying having to replace the HFCs every year or two. What happens if the cat element completely breaks down and wrecks an O2 sensor and gets lodged in your exhaust? Who's responsible for that?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave B
That's great they stand behind their product, but clearly there is a flaw in the design of the cat. I think it would get rather annoying having to replace the HFCs every year or two. What happens if the cat element completely breaks down and wrecks an O2 sensor and gets lodged in your exhaust? Who's responsible for that?

i beleive u are thinking way too much into this...do u realize how many cats berk puts out and the amount of people that are having problems its prolly 100 to 1 if that, its like anything else...there are gonna be flaws they are not all gonna be perfect and oem ...And i dont think u understand the problems with the cat because i dont see any way it would get lodged or wreck a O2 sensor..Berk doesnt even construct the catalyst part as far as i know its magnaflow which also does many other companies catalysts as well not just berk, so if u wanna take it to that do a search on all the other brands with problems weather they are cracking or the actual cat is failing somehow...
Old 04-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Anyone know how much hp berk hfc can handle?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:16 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Anyone know how much hp berk hfc can handle?
not sure, but i would like to know...says they are great for f/i so id assume quite a bit
Old 04-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Dave B

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
i beleive u are thinking way too much into this...do u realize how many cats berk puts out and the amount of people that are having problems its prolly 100 to 1 if that, its like anything else...there are gonna be flaws they are not all gonna be perfect and oem ...And i dont think u understand the problems with the cat because i dont see any way it would get lodged or wreck a O2 sensor..Berk doesnt even construct the catalyst part as far as i know its magnaflow which also does many other companies catalysts as well not just berk, so if u wanna take it to that do a search on all the other brands with problems weather they are cracking or the actual cat is failing somehow...
Sure, there will be flaws, but clearly there is a problem with design. Either the Magnaflow cats are undersized for the application, or the cats simply aren't built well, or aftermarket exhausts without flex sections put stress on the body and break up the cat, or it's a combination of one or all. Berk choose to use Magnaflow cats therefore they really need to figure out what the problem is. These problems are enough to make me reconsider getting HFCs, especially Berks. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this. If I was a Berk rep, I'd be looking into these failures very closely. Surely Berk and Magnaflow can pinpoint the problem. My guess is heat (ie high exhaust temps).
Old 04-27-2009, 01:10 PM
NIZZMO

^^ Im sure that if Berk had a higher % of issues relating to the catalyst they would be all over the issue, early Berk HFC's did not have the mounting brace for the Z ,they found out it was enough of an issue to revise them...so they did. I think a catalyst failure issue would be handled the same way if it became a bigger issue.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Berk_Technology
Banned

It is very unfortunate that we've had a few of these catalysts fail on you guys. We monitor failures and problems very closely and the number of cat failures very low, cracked cats have been almost non-existent since we beefed up our support brackets. If there is an area where we feel we can improve and/or refine, we will do so. For 99% of you the Magnaflow metallic cats we use in our HFC's will handle all of the abuse that you can throw at it and the top 4 HFC manufacturers in the 350Z/G35 market use the same exact Magnaflow cat (Berk, Stillen, UR, FI).

We can offer you an optional motorsports cat which uses a similar design to the Magnaflow metallic cat, but it does not carry any sort of CARB, EPA, or OBD certifications, only FIA homologation for some classes of WRC and TÜV Bayern (Germany's equivalent of DOT/EPA certification). These can be made on a special order basis but the cost is astronomical @ just under $1000 for a pair of catalysts.

DaveB, to answer your question about the catalytic converter application we use. Magnaflow uses the same catalyst core for all of their metallic cats. They start out using the same exact size/core/material, then the machine forms the inlet/outlet to the appropriate size (2", 2.25", 2.5" etc...). One cat is rated for use on an engine size up to 6.2L or 6000lb gross vehicle weight. So a single cat is rated to handle almost double the engine displacement and GVW, we are using two cats per car.

We warranty our HFC's for 1 year. That warranty is almost unconditional. We have never had to deny anyone for warranty, but I'm sure one of these days someone will come to us with something crazy. If you are just outside of the 1 year warranty period we have extended pro-rated warranty coverage for you, we won't just leave you hanging. Just call/email us and we will handle those on a case by case basis.

Cheers,
Berk Technology
Old 04-29-2009, 03:24 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Berk_Technology
It is very unfortunate that we've had a few of these catalysts fail on you guys. We monitor failures and problems very closely and the number of cat failures very low, cracked cats have been almost non-existent since we beefed up our support brackets. If there is an area where we feel we can improve and/or refine, we will do so. For 99% of you the Magnaflow metallic cats we use in our HFC's will handle all of the abuse that you can throw at it and the top 4 HFC manufacturers in the 350Z/G35 market use the same exact Magnaflow cat (Berk, Stillen, UR, FI).

We can offer you an optional motorsports cat which uses a similar design to the Magnaflow metallic cat, but it does not carry any sort of CARB, EPA, or OBD certifications, only FIA homologation for some classes of WRC and TÜV Bayern (Germany's equivalent of DOT/EPA certification). These can be made on a special order basis but the cost is astronomical @ just under $1000 for a pair of catalysts.

DaveB, to answer your question about the catalytic converter application we use. Magnaflow uses the same catalyst core for all of their metallic cats. They start out using the same exact size/core/material, then the machine forms the inlet/outlet to the appropriate size (2", 2.25", 2.5" etc...). One cat is rated for use on an engine size up to 6.2L or 6000lb gross vehicle weight. So a single cat is rated to handle almost double the engine displacement and GVW, we are using two cats per car.

We warranty our HFC's for 1 year. That warranty is almost unconditional. We have never had to deny anyone for warranty, but I'm sure one of these days someone will come to us with something crazy. If you are just outside of the 1 year warranty period we have extended pro-rated warranty coverage for you, we won't just leave you hanging. Just call/email us and we will handle those on a case by case basis.

Cheers,
Berk Technology

like ive said all along berk is a great company and will do everything in their power to make it right then improve upon the problem...i am patiently waiting for my warrantied cats, but damn im anxious with the beautiful weather ive had and i just wash my car everyday cause i cant drive it
Old 04-29-2009, 03:45 PM
tiguy99

+1 for the Mfgr coming on here to make things right! Can't say that about everyone though.

My Berks are going strong after being put to the test of daily driving in some pretty cold weather for the past 3 months I've had them
Old 04-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Changvi

Cheers,
Berk Technology
Now that's customer service in my book. I just received my Berk Metallic HFC yesterday. The quality and the welds seemed very good. I look forward to getting my car back tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:04 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Changvi
Now that's customer service in my book. I just received my Berk Metallic HFC yesterday. The quality and the welds seemed very good. I look forward to getting my car back tomorrow.
good to hear people are receiving them now...i sooo hope mine are here soon..
Old 04-30-2009, 12:59 PM
NIZZMO

^^I ordered mine a week ago, no shipping conformation yet.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:04 PM
Changvi

Thumbs up

Just a short driving impression of the Berk HFC. The car definitely picked up much quicker than before in conjunction with the Amuse R1 Titan Y-pipe. Car also sounded much deeper at WOT without the rasp that my tp used to have; and not to mention no cell and "No more exhaust fume smell!!" Overall, I am very happy with the investment, and hopefully with a few more tweaks(need to get an OEM cat support bracket), i will be set to go. For those who are still waiting for the HFC, you should be getting your soon because i waited almost two weeks after the initial order before it was shipped out......Just be patient.

Last edited by Changvi; 04-30-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:38 PM
xdrius
ZL33PR

Cheers,
Berk Technology
+1
Old 05-01-2009, 12:20 PM
tiguy99

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
good to hear people are receiving them now...i sooo hope mine are here soon..
I must have lucked out. I ordered mine from Kyle back in January and got them in like 3 days or so.

Very nice welds and quality, no complaints on my end either
Old 09-12-2009, 09:20 PM
kevinGTB1

Hello everyone just new here, hope to stay long. Thanks

By the way I need help. I was confused if the magnaflow catalytic converter is pretty good?and also where to buy? I do searched and I tried it here for some queries Magnaflow Catalytic Converter. Anyone tried it here.? Any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by kevinGTB1; 11-05-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:26 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problems with mine...weird
Old 09-13-2009, 05:26 PM
scmtkings4

mine has actually been pretty good, ive had it for about a year and a half

however my car seems to rattle a little more than it did back then. time to check it...
Old 09-15-2009, 09:29 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Just took a quick read through this thread. I've run Fast Intention metal cats and Eastern Catalytic metal cats while FI with no problem (1 yr each but probably less than 6k miles each yr). If you dump unburned fuel into them, they will burn up. That's the bottom line. I ran well-tuned, mid 11s at WOT, and they survived and looked great on removal - just as a data point. If you're getting misfires, get those plugs or sensors fixed!
Old 10-21-2009, 06:08 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I just read through this whole thread and would like to add my personal observation and past experience.

About 15K miles ago, I had to have one of my OEM cats replaced. It was rattling at idle or when I reved it a little. Earlier this week, I was waiting at a drive-thru so I was right up next to the building making it easy to hear that familar rattle again. So much for those who believe in OEM quality (although I do know that most OEM parts outlast the aftermarket ones).

Now I'm debating whether to go back to the dealer to get one/both replaced again or buy my own HFCs.

One thing that I immediately noticed here was that the failure of cats seems to occur among us who track our Zs regularly. There are also the comments about running too rich and dumping fuel into the exhaust causing them to fail. The track is one of the few places where you can run at WOT for any length of time. One of the features of the ECU is that at WOT, it runs "open loop", without any emissions consideration. That condition means that we're running as rich as possible, probably increasing the chances to damage the cats.

I still may look into getting HFCs, probably Berks. I guess I'm going to have to live with replacing them every couple of years.

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 10-21-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Berk metallic high-flow cats broke apart after 13 months of use (N/A)