Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Independent Review of Motordyne's ART Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Silencer_0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Independent Review of Motordyne's ART Pipes

Hey guys, I'm from G35driver.com. Just thought I'd post here and share this with you guys .

This review compares the Motordyne ART pipes to my existing Fast Intentions HFC's.

My car:
2007 5AT Coupe
FuRookie Intake
MD 5/16" Iso-thermal spacer
MD Shockwave V2 TDX
F.I. HFC's
Osiris tune

Well after barely escaping being in a car pile up on the freeway, I was able to get my ART pipes installed and dyno'd this past Saturday .

Pics of the install:

F.I. HFC's

Motordyne ART pipes

Side by side comparison

ART pipes installed

I know this will disappoint most of you, but it completely slipped my mind to tell the shop guy to start the dyno's at 1k RPM instead of 3k, so sorry about that . Runs were done on a DynoJet.

As you can see, the ART pipes showed gains over my HFC's throughout the rpm band.

Sound:
Start up the car, and I could tell the exhaust is actually a little quieter from the outside, than with my HFC's. Sound from inside the cabin was a huge improvement for me. I could be cruising at 40 mph at 2k rpm in 4th or 5th gear, and the exhaust is almost completely silent! The exhaust is also deeper than before, which is nice. The best way I can come up with describing the "harmonic" sound that Tony was talking about, is that it....."mellow's" out the exhaust, lol. It made the exhaust "smoother", but at the same time, it sounds meaner. It's difficult to describe unless you're inside the car.

Performance:
Although the graph doesn't show it (sorry again), the increase in power starting at 2k is instantly noticeable. It's so much more fun driving around the city now with power that you can actually use without having to rev up to 6k. It just pulls in the low end in any gear :JAMIN:. BUT, all the fun isn't just in the low end, keep going past 4k, 5k rpm and you'll still feel the increase in power. This really is a fantastic product! Pair up the Shockwave V2 TDX with these ART pipes, and you'll end up with a high quality, drone-less, rasp-less, mean sounding exhaust that actually produces great performance unlike any other. It's amazing how big a difference these pipes made over HFC's, not even the stock cats. I see no reason to ever switch out to a different brand of exhaust or tp's/hfc's.

I'm interested to see how much more power I can squeeze out of these pipes, so I'll be getting my Osiris re-tuned in about a week or so, as I am running a little lean. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

I'd like to thank the guys over at Specialty-Z for the dyno runs. Also, Tony for continuing to create awesome products for our cars and giving me the opportunities to test them out :biggthumpup:.

Work and the weather hasn't been letting me take better videos, but here's a little. It was raining, so please excuse the dirty car and wheels :

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yM7xGSZ8UaU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yM7xGSZ8UaU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 03-02-2010, 03:56 PM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang I got all excited, I thought I was actually going to see them compared to test pipes! Good gains, and glad to hear they help quiet the exhaust over HFC's impressive.

You should have your tuner add some fuel from 6000rpm to redline, thats not gaining you anything.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:20 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice, glad u are enjoying them now get re-tuned...Hate to say it though but from these clips i kinda think it sounded cleaner with the high flows, with the art pipes is def. a little deeper and more pronounced throaty sound instead of the higher pitched sound...all in personal preference, do u like the sound better now or before op?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Seb-Specialty-Z

It was a pleasure to work and do this test on your car!
Here's a link to it on our blog:
ART Blog
Old 03-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beddow
Dang I got all excited, I thought I was actually going to see them compared to test pipes! Good gains, and glad to hear they help quiet the exhaust over HFC's impressive.

You should have your tuner add some fuel from 6000rpm to redline, thats not gaining you anything.
They have been sent out for testing against regular test pipes but still waiting on those results.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

BTW - As shown in the pics, this confirms fitment on the automatic transmission!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:53 PM
screener
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
They have been sent out for testing against regular test pipes but still waiting on those results.
I will be searching. What are your predictions, for that comparison out come?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

More power with the ART pipes.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:12 PM
screener
Banned

More power with the ART pipes.
Enough power to warrant the cost of the ART pipes and extra weight over test pipes? Or is the main selling point the noise control over non resonated test pipes?
Old 03-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Silencer_0

Thanks guys, I'm quite happy with my new pipes .

I actually like it better how it sounds now, than before. The only gripe that I had with the Shockwave V2, is that it was a little too loud (for obvious reasons). But now, it's a lot more comfortable for daily driving, especially from inside the cabin.

To me, the power these pipes produce warrants it's cost. I was happy with my HFC's, but I said to myself, if these pipes produce a big positive change, then I'll live with its cost and fumes. Sure enough, I put my HFC's up for sale after the drive home from the dyno shop .How many mods are out there that can give you this much useable power anyway?
Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 PM
BonesZ33

nice gains, especially over an aftermarket resognated TP.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:53 PM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In for re-tune...
Old 03-02-2010, 07:48 PM
onagao

Very, very nice. It sounds amazing, and those are some awesome gains, too. Welcome to the ART Pipe Club!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by beddow
Enough power to warrant the cost of the ART pipes and extra weight over test pipes? Or is the main selling point the noise control over non resonated test pipes?
Enough to warrant?.. I'll leave that for you guys to decide based on your interpretation of independent dynos.

The reduction in loudness is a secondary feature but depending on your application it may be exactly what you are looking for.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:26 PM
screener
Banned

Hey I just got a great idea! What if you donated a set to one of these guys that are right on the edge of breaking into the 12's NA. The season is still good now so someone like 03threefiftyz would be a great choice.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:37 PM
ginobetterfly

BTW - As shown in the pics, this confirms fitment on the automatic transmission!
OPs car is an 07... should the 03-06 guys assume it will fit as well?
Old 03-03-2010, 03:33 AM
denchan350gt

Originally Posted by Seb-Specialty-Z
It was a pleasure to work and do this test on your car!
Here's a link to it on our blog:
ART Blog
How long/hard was the install of these pipes? Looks like there is not much room to work with installing these on a AT.

Just comparing the pics of the HFC and ART pipes installed. Just want to see if there were any issues with the install.

I'm thinking about picking up a set to try at the track maybe I can break 12's with them. I'm at 13.2 now in a G N/A.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:52 AM
denchan350gt

Originally Posted by ginobetterfly
they should fit our trannys are only different internally.

I thought you was in the process of selling your car a few yrs ago when I came by your place. Glad to see that you still have it.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:43 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ginobetterfly
Its still a DE, only the 07 4door G35's got the HR. You will be fine.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Seb-Specialty-Z

Originally Posted by denchan350gt
How long/hard was the install of these pipes? Looks like there is not much room to work with installing these on a AT.

Just comparing the pics of the HFC and ART pipes installed. Just want to see if there were any issues with the install.

I'm thinking about picking up a set to try at the track maybe I can break 12's with them. I'm at 13.2 now in a G N/A.
Install was pretty easy. At first I looked at the pipes and wondered how that was going to fit especially on an AT. The stud for the heat-shield on the driver side needs to be cut down and the AT hard cooler lines need to be checked for clearance and tweaked if need be. The O2 wire hangars on the AT needed to be moved forward one bolt hole and it was better off just zip tie-ing the wires so they wouldn't get close to the pipes.

Seb

Last edited by Seb-Specialty-Z; 03-03-2010 at 07:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Independent Review of Motordyne's ART Pipes