Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

which full exhaust system is best to run?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:20 PM
GoBollzD33P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which full exhaust system is best to run?

hey guys my buddy just bought a 2006 stock 350z and he wants to buy a full exhaust system for it

i showed him clips of HKS exhaust and he loved it and wants to to pick one up but i just read that HKS is no longer making exhaust systems for US/Canada?

if that is true.. what are my options now? anybody got any sound clips and details that they can give up?

price is probly not an issue... my buddy wants to buy a system hopefully within the next month or so.. so hopefully somebody can help right away thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 12:02 AM
cjmayo

Well HKS is stopping its sales in the USA, so I'm not sure if you can still pick up any of their stuff new. I've got what I think is a ripoff of the HKS hi power exhaust on my Z, and I actually like it. It's not loud at all. In fact, I think it might be more quiet than the factory exhaust at times.

My suggestion would be to look for a used HKS hi-power system.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:21 AM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Motordyne > HKS
Old 09-22-2011, 03:22 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/261870-intake-exhaust-rules-faq-you-must-read-before-posting-updated-5-21-07-a.html
https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...aders-etc.html

Rhetorical Question: What's up with all these "my buddy bought/owns a Z" questions? If somebody can buy and drive a Z, surely they can sign up on a forum and ask a question, right?
Old 09-22-2011, 03:25 AM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Other popular options include the Stillen True Dual. I ran that for a long time, and it's a wonderful system for a lightly modded car, but it has the tendency to get raspy after 3300rpm once you add more free-flowing components (i.e. HFCs, Test Pipes, Headers).

Some other people opt for the Nismo, which is a gorgeous sounding exhaust system but ultimately is not a true dual system and subsequently won't yield the same sorts of gains a TD would give you (not as free-flowing).

Having heard numerous systems myself, my hands-down favorite in every category (sound, performance, construction, and appearance) is the Motordyne TDX. It's something that just has to be heard to fully appreciated. That being said, the lone downside to it is the price tag, which is a little steep. But you get what you pay for with Motordyne. One of the best compliments I ever received was after a random guy at a red light asked me how much my exhaust cost. When I told him around $1600 and he paused for a second... "It sounds like it."
Here's a link for you:

Ultimately, though... the "best full exhaust system to run" is going to come down to a great number of things, and at the end of the day will resemble something more along the lines of "best full exhaust system for me". What each person wants, likes, or loves will not necessarily be the same. At the end of the day this matter is one that comes down to personal taste.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:47 AM
350_captain

I have an 06 and before mine got boosted, i had the Borla headerback system. Its pretty quiet under 3000k, but after that you can hear it roar. Its pretty expensive. The headers alone are $1300 and the catback system is about $900. So you are looking at about $2200 or so. But it is beautiful and sounds amazing for that combo of power and tuner sound. I had an Injen CAI as well and it sounds amazing through that Rev-Up power band with the header back system i had.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:55 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HKS still makes the full range of parts, it's just their distribution model has changed, as their own US office closed

Price is always an issue - you can buy an exhaust for $300, you can buy an exhaust for $6000
Old 09-22-2011, 05:42 AM
briin79

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261870

Rhetorical Question: What's up with all these "my buddy bought/owns a Z" questions? If somebody can buy and drive a Z, surely they can sign up on a forum and ask a question, right?
Iv've been wondering the same thing.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:45 AM
Pengu

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I've got a Borla for sale Great exhaust and deep sound to it selling since I'm going to a single exhaust.

But to stay on topic...

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...cs-sticky.html
Old 09-22-2011, 08:21 AM
GoBollzD33P

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261870

my buddy rarely uses the internet let alone sign up to a forum so since i'm already on the comp why not take five mins to sign up and ask a question.. is it really that big of a deal in the end he's still gonna want an aftermarket exhaust

he likes the sound of hks but i doubt he would wanna buy a kit used.. anybody know where he could still find HKS new or is that a waste of time?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:30 AM
GoBollzD33P

Originally Posted by onagao
Other popular options include the Stillen True Dual. I ran that for a long time, and it's a wonderful system for a lightly modded car, but it has the tendency to get raspy after 3300rpm once you add more free-flowing components (i.e. HFCs, Test Pipes, Headers).

Some other people opt for the Nismo, which is a gorgeous sounding exhaust system but ultimately is not a true dual system and subsequently won't yield the same sorts of gains a TD would give you (not as free-flowing).

Having heard numerous systems myself, my hands-down favorite in every category (sound, performance, construction, and appearance) is the Motordyne TDX. It's something that just has to be heard to fully appreciated. That being said, the lone downside to it is the price tag, which is a little steep. But you get what you pay for with Motordyne. One of the best compliments I ever received was after a random guy at a red light asked me how much my exhaust cost. When I told him around $1600 and he paused for a second... "It sounds like it."
Here's a link for you:

Ultimately, though... the "best full exhaust system to run" is going to come down to a great number of things, and at the end of the day will resemble something more along the lines of "best full exhaust system for me". What each person wants, likes, or loves will not necessarily be the same. At the end of the day this matter is one that comes down to personal taste.
dam you're right that sounds pretty sick.. i'll show my buddy and see if he likes it too.. $1,600 should be no issue at all
Old 09-22-2011, 08:36 AM
TheDangerZone

my best isn't your best..... pick price range and go from there.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Erik@R/Ttuning

Exactly what Z1 posted. HKS still makes their full range of parts for sale in the US. They have just drastically cut back on their distribution in the US and have no office here anymore. There are still many sponsors on the board that can get HKS parts for members.

I do really like the HKS Hi-Power but i LOVE the Motordyne stuff and I hear a lot of exhaust systems here on the dyno.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:22 AM
A-Town-Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Motordyne ftw
Old 09-22-2011, 09:51 AM
cjmayo

I've never heard the motordyne before.. But my eyes have been opened! That sounds amazing!!!
Old 09-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

I have the TopSpeed true dual (hks replica) and it sounds good. also only $500. there's a large range of options to choose from.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

motordyne tdx2 exhaust > ALLL

these my buddy threads are a little annoying though
Old 09-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
I have the TopSpeed true dual (hks replica) and it sounds good. also only $500.
" I get the exhaust with 2 holes in the welds, 2 hangers almost falling off, and the mid pipe laying on the sway bar.. and this awful noise!"

that's worth $500?

to the OP - the HKS is a very nice setup. Motordyne is also very nice, though a bit louder than the HKS. It is less expensive vs HKS however

Yes, the HKS exhaust is one of the items readily available (we have it if you're interested).

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 09-22-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
" I get the exhaust with 2 holes in the welds, 2 hangers almost falling off, and the mid pipe laying on the sway bar.. and this awful noise!"

that's worth $500?

to the OP - the HKS is a very nice setup. Motordyne is also very nice, though a bit louder than the HKS. It is less expensive vs HKS however

Yes, the HKS exhaust is one of the items readily available (we have it if you're interested).
Lol well for the slight adjusting we had to, I'd say its worth $500
Old 09-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Czarrr

Why do people say 'my friend' this 'myfriend' that?
In the middle of OP's thread he asks...
'What are my options?'

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
Lol well for the slight adjusting we had to, I'd say its worth $500
Great rebuttal. Definitely made me chuckle.
Btw, did you ever fix that rattle?

On topic to OP.
A common response is...
HKS for NA. Greddy Evo TT for FI.

Quick Reply: which full exhaust system is best to run?