Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Motordyne Shockwave TDX2 Exhaust Install/Review (Pictures&Vids)

Old 11-03-2012, 06:56 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Motordyne Shockwave TDX2 Exhaust Install/Review (Pictures&Vids)

The setting

The car is my daily driver.
* 2004.5 6MT
* Custom airbox upgrade for the velocity stack.
* Motordyne Copper ISO kit
* Motordyne 5/16th Spacer
* Motordyne MREV2 lower plenum
* Motordyne Adjustable rear sway bar.
* Motordyne ART Pipes
* Motordyne Shockwave TDX2 with optional HFC
* UpRev Tuned

After spending a few months with the Motordyne ART pipes and XYZ pipe, I was ready to order the Full Motordyne system, I wanted Motordyne everything, the sound was too intoxicating! Review here:

I also ordered the Motordyne adjustable sway bar (rear) – the Motordyne MREV2 lower plenum and the Copper ISO kit for the plenum and throttle body. I will post up photos/install etc of those other parts in another thread.

So let’s start off with Motordyne’s shipping… It always takes me 5 minutes to get into their boxes, this is a good thing, due to it being caused by incredibly good packaging, there is no way this box was coming open in transit!

Speaking of the box, it nearly didn’t fit in the car, this is the back seat of an Accord, the doors barely closed!

Everything packaged very well inside the box

Quite the pile of shiny parts to install

As I already had the ART pipes and XYZ pipe, I didn’t need to order the full Shockwave exhaust, as the XYZ pipe is part of it. Motordyne knock off the price of an XYZ pipe for people in this situation.

So let’s start with the next part that attaches to the XYZ pipe, the X configuration resonator.

Yes it did come with the branded MF cloth, just not the old laptop

Great finish and welding work!

Here’s the ‘in’ end of the system where the XYZ pipe connects.

The XYZ pipe starts the merger of the two pipes from the engine, connects here and as you can see, splits it out to two again, creating the X pipe configuration.

Because this is my daily driver and because I do care (a little) I decided to opt for the HFC mid section on the Shockwave, besides, the mid pipes are easy to swap out later The good news is, they’re spread over two pipes, at 3 inch diameter as well as being high flow. Net result means that the actual HP loss at this stage of the system is only about 1-2 BHP. My tuner also confirmed that moving the cat further from the engine was beneficial, this is also just behind where the XYZ pipe would put the HFC module as well.

Mid-sections with the HFCs built in.

A close up of the HFC cells.

Now we’re getting to the rear sections of the system, these include the Helmholtz resonator technology (the side branches extending from the main pipe)

This picture always reminds me of old rabbit ear antenna for some reason

Nice engraved logo on each of the canisters.

Finally we have the tips.

These are the 5.0 inch burnt Titanium versions, keeping those for Sunday best, so to speak

Here are the 4.5 inch stainless rolled tips, straight cut are also an option like the Burnt Titanium.

One of the best things about fitting this system, is just how easy it is to adjust wherever you want it, because the whole thing is held together with v-band clamps, no gaskets, perfect seal.

The Fitting

I started with the rear muffler/silencer removed as there was no way I was putting it back on the car for a week or two before fitting the TDX2 (I had removed it to replace the rear diff bushing)

Remove the mid section of the stock exhaust system, there is just one hangar to hold this up.

The mid section is completely removed, all the way down to where the stock ‘y-pipe’ would be, in this case, I already had the Motordyne XYZ pipe (which normally comes as part of the TDX2 exhaust)

Don’t forget to remove the protective shield from the rear right corner of the car, this just helps with a little added clearance, common with the true dual exhaust systems.

Starting at the front of the car, work your way backwards, attaching each stage of the TDX2 exhaust, only lightly tightening the V-band clamps as you go.
As you can see, I also went with the Motordyne adjustable rear sway-bar/anti-roll bar.

These are the mid pipes, my pipes have the option HFC at the front, connecting to the two exits from the resonator/X-pipe. One side attaches to the stock hangar location, and the other side is supported by the rear canister section and through the connection to the resonator unit.

Straight onto the rear canister sections, containing the Helmholtz resonators. These hang from the stock exhaust hangar locations behind the rear bumper.

At this point, you have all the main parts connected, but not fully tightened. Make sure that the mid-pipe hangar is as close to perpendicular to the floor as possible, this will give the mid-section and resonator the height to clear any braces etc.
With everything in place, I then adjusted the rear canister sections to center the exits with the bumper holes. If you need further adjustment, you actually rotate the mid pipes! There is a ton of adjustment if you need it

Once everything lines up in place, go ahead and tighten the V-band clamps, starting from the front of the car, confirming everything still lines up.
I attached the exhaust tips and adjusted them to extend about the same as the stock parts, *just* extending past the cut-out in the bumper.

I started the car up and made sure I didn’t have any leaks around the joints, then lowered it down and enjoyed the sweet new look the back of my car has

With the optional Stainless steel rolled tips, I can drive through the winter without feeling like I’m making a mess of my nice burnt Titanium versions.

So here is a basic video, just showing idling, some revs and a little bit of normal speed drive-bys.

Here are a few driving vids. However, there is a problem with all 3 of them Although I used an external stereo mic with my Hero2, the camera decided to remove *all* wind noise (windows were down) and along with this, most of the sound that makes the Motordyne special. It still sounds good, but it’s missing some of the best bits. Also, I didn’t have the suction cup mount at the time, so it’s a little shaky cam

Sound: 10/10
This has to be full marks, there are no two ways about it. This is my daily-driver, I got the HFC because I felt it might help muffle the sound a little bit, but by all accounts, the cruising aspect, is one of the most refined parts of this exhaust.
I like the fact that it sounds great just cruising around, without having to get on it hard to make the car sound good.

Fitting: 9/10
I have to mark this down one, only because people are dumb, and, given the option of many adjustments, they will get it wrong.
The actual fitting of the exhaust is perfect, like factory fit, I’m very happy with clearances, mounts and the excellent v-band clamps.

Look: 9.5/10
What? Ok, we all saw the pictures, it looks excellent, but I’d like it to go over the top of my car so I could stare at it more often

Performance: Good
I can’t give this a numeric value, it’s just not possible, so I will say this: As my daily driver and with the same route taken regularly, I have a well calibrated butt-dyno, but it is just that.
I can tell there is a great difference since fitting all this, I’ve run with various parts of the stock system on, off, mixed etc, some lost power in the low end, others gained, some just obnoxiously loud but no guts.
With the Shockwave TDX2, it’s gains everywhere, I have a good combo with the ART pipes and a sensible volume level.
On top of this, I then had the car Uprev tuned, I have wideband sensors, and had an email tune done with a few revisions to confirm the readings were as required.
Everything came alive even more so with this, both the exhaust and tune are two highly recommend things to get done as far as I’m concerned

Service: 11/10
I’ve said it before, but it’s worth saying again. I have *never* had service as good as the service I get from Motordyne, period.
It didn’t matter if it was my fault, or something that would be accepted as normal, Motordyne consistently surprised me at every turn. If it was in their control, they did it with a smile. Always happy to talk or go through options, I would recommend them everytime.

Go ahead and ask any questions about any part of this, I’ve probably missed out loads and just can’t remember at the moment.

http://www.motordyneusa.com

Last edited by F2CMaDMaXX; 12-05-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:56 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

I've added the sound comparison between the normal TDX2 and the TDX2 with the MD HFC section.

Last edited by F2CMaDMaXX; 01-18-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:31 PM
freddys 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice write up. i just ordered the art pipes and plan on getting the tdx when i get tired of the AP single.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:55 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

The ART pipes are great, they spiced up the sound and feel until i got the full system.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Javi04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up, Thanks.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:17 PM
R350Zz33

what diff bushing is that mines starting to leak
nvm fount it its the new kdt911 kit from whiteline did u install this urself

Last edited by R350Zz33; 11-03-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Suwaidi

Hands down the sweetest exhaust on the market. My note changed after my cam install and I only got to enjoy the TDX/ART pure sound for about a week before it got deeper :[ Sweet review!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Originally Posted by Javi04
Great write up, Thanks.
Thanks, you're welcome, i like to share this stuff
Old 11-03-2012, 08:44 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Originally Posted by R350Zz33
what diff bushing is that mines starting to leak
nvm fount it its the new kdt911 kit from whiteline did u install this urself
Yes, it is the whiteline kit and i did install it myself, let me know if you need any tips.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:45 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Originally Posted by Suwaidi
Hands down the sweetest exhaust on the market. My note changed after my cam install and I only got to enjoy the TDX/ART pure sound for about a week before it got deeper :[ Sweet review!
Thanks, and yes it really is a beautiful sound

Check your v-band clamps, mine didn't feel like they were leaking, but undoing them after running 2k miles on the system, i found that i hadn't quite shunted the pipes up fully, after correcting them, my sound came back again
Old 11-04-2012, 12:26 AM
footballmania32

How tight do you make your V bands? I always feel like I'm over tightening them, but I know I'm not. I just don't want to risk it lol.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:09 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for a great write up&pcs-videos!
I agree with you on Motordyne products--excellent.
All in all,most guys see the sound as the primary for
selecting an exhaust system.As you reported,"good"
gains.Overall,an exhaust system is not gonna make a big
difference in performance.I had ART pipes.Had to remove
due to emmission probs.Now have HFC's .I realized
no sizeable difference in performance.I love the Motordyne
sound.My Z sounds similar.Maybe a bit of a softer edge
from A Nismo catback&cam.
Again,a well done report!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:30 AM
clarkah

Any hissing sound from the art pipes?
Old 11-04-2012, 04:28 AM
cgkp0925

Excellent review. Without a doubt one of the best, if not the best, sounding exhaust for the Z. This is the kind of information I look for when researching a product no matter what it is.

I'm still torn between the TDX2, NISMO and Tanabe Medalion Touring. Decisions, decisions.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:41 AM
JaE35z

great review and pics
Old 11-04-2012, 07:15 AM
tcode

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Awesome!!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Originally Posted by footballmania32
How tight do you make your V bands? I always feel like I'm over tightening them, but I know I'm not. I just don't want to risk it lol.
There is an amount in ftlbs as to how tight they should be, however, i don't have any equipment right now that will allow me to tighten them that accurately.

I tend to feel for them right now, i test if i can rotate the pipes connect, i make absolutely sure they're as close up to each other as possible before fully tightening, otherwise i don't believe they seal as they should, yet still don't leak, if you get my meaning?

They are strong, i've not broken one yet though i'm sure i'm technically over tightening them a little.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Originally Posted by JCITY
Thanks for a great write up&pcs-videos!
I agree with you on Motordyne products--excellent.
All in all,most guys see the sound as the primary for
selecting an exhaust system.As you reported,"good"
gains.Overall,an exhaust system is not gonna make a big
difference in performance.I had ART pipes.Had to remove
due to emmission probs.Now have HFC's .I realized
no sizeable difference in performance.I love the Motordyne
sound.My Z sounds similar.Maybe a bit of a softer edge
from A Nismo catback&cam.
Again,a well done report!

Yup, sound is and was my primary reason for upgrading, the stock system just mutes the sweetness too much
However, it's clear, that de-restricting the system *will* improve power capability, but i don't think any of us are under the impression it will be turbo like power

I do know that this all weakened the mixture out a fair bit, so more fuel/power could be added with the tune, so it certainly helped a lot there.

Shame about you not being able to run ART pipes, though it's nice from my point of view, that you can still add in the HFC module

Are you running the TDX2 now?
Old 11-04-2012, 10:45 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Originally Posted by clarkah
Any hissing sound from the art pipes?

Nope, well, not strictly true.

Under specific situations, i can hear a very slight hiss;

If the engine is cold, i'm on a downhill section, and the revs are about 2k and decelerating, i can hear a small hiss, but that's it.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:50 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Originally Posted by cgkp0925
Excellent review. Without a doubt one of the best, if not the best, sounding exhaust for the Z. This is the kind of information I look for when researching a product no matter what it is.

I'm still torn between the TDX2, NISMO and Tanabe Medalion Touring. Decisions, decisions.

Thankyou, and i like to write these because of the exact same reason myself.

Between those 3 systems, you're going to vary a large amount. The Nismo will be the closest to stock, it will be a slight increase, but not too much.
The medallion AFAIK, will be a pretty raucous loud system. In my opinion, there isn't much depth to the sound they make, it's loud, it's a V6, but that's it.

Those are some of the main reasons why i ended up deciding on the Shockwave, i wanted a rich sound, i wanted something that was louder, but more importantly, added to, or allowed more of the refined sound to come through.
My last significant exhaust system was a Fujitsubo for another car, in figures, it was the same db level or slightly lower than the stock system. But to the ear, it was louder, most important of all, it livened up the sound itself. It sounded richer, more pleasing to drive with and had an almost musical quality just driving around normally All the same qualities i'm enjoying with the Shockwave, except the db levels, they are higher with this, but nothing i can't daily drive with

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motordyne Shockwave TDX2 Exhaust Install/Review (Pictures&Vids)