Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Custom 3" Intakes on VQ35HR project....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 03:43 PM
The_Assassin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea dont listen to that guy man. I already contacted murray about the yea shield set up that he went with.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:52 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I dont understand how people still dont understand how much air rushes up in there when the car is moving. Bmurray even showed massive gains on a dyno. Its like beating a dead horse around here sometimes.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:23 AM
Moncef

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tommy smith
Now you'll be able to get that under the hood HOT engine air...
I would reply to this, but after seeing your other posts on my350z I will withhold my comments.

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
I dont understand how people still dont understand how much air rushes up in there when the car is moving. Bmurray even showed massive gains on a dyno. Its like beating a dead horse around here sometimes.
This.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:57 AM
The_Assassin

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
I been holding off on reporting on this or awhile now but my car lost close to 20 whp by going to 3inch. Yea I know Murray gained power but for some reason I lost power. Extremely disappointed to spend so much money to only go backwards. Don't really know what else to do at this point. Car has 60k miles, am even thinking of getting a 370z lol maybe its because am disappointed/depressed that my car lost power.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-08-2015, 10:38 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds like your tuner has no idea what he is doing. Did you do a pull right before you had the intakes installed on the same day? If not, then you have no way to determine how much you actually lost/gained. That's why I did my before pull, installed intakes, 1 hour later, did next pull with intakes and retune.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:56 AM
The_Assassin

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
Sounds like your tuner has no idea what he is doing. Did you do a pull right before you had the intakes installed on the same day? If not, then you have no way to determine how much you actually lost/gained. That's why I did my before pull, installed intakes, 1 hour later, did next pull with intakes and retune.

My tuner is actually pretty good. He tuned a de 350z to 318 whp with high comp and e85 on his mustang dyno. My hr previously made 295...He tuned it and power dropped to around 280. No we did not get a chance to do a base that day. Temp was actually a bit colder that day. Car does not feel as strong as it did on the 295 map.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:44 AM
Bmurray350z

Originally Posted by The_Assassin
My tuner is actually pretty good. He tuned a de 350z to 318 whp with high comp and e85 on his mustang dyno. My hr previously made 295...He tuned it and power dropped to around 280. No we did not get a chance to do a base that day. Temp was actually a bit colder that day. Car does not feel as strong as it did on the 295 map.
then you can't know how much you lost or gained. the power could have been relocated UTC. several diff things could have happened. and you won't really be able to "feel" a ~5% whp difference. i know some people claim their "butt dyno" feels a gain, but in reality you can not feel such a small percent change in hp.

the most important thing was having a before dyno done on the same day right before the intakes and you didn't lol
Old 02-08-2015, 12:00 PM
The_Assassin

then you can't know how much you lost or gained. the power could have been relocated UTC. several diff things could have happened. and you won't really be able to "feel" a ~5% whp difference. i know some people claim their "butt dyno" feels a gain, but in reality you can not feel such a small percent change in hp.

the most important thing was having a before dyno done on the same day right before the intakes and you didn't lol

lol yea I would understand if the difference was maybe 5 hp or so but not 15-20 on a mustang dyno....especially when the temp is the same or a bit colder..Yesterday I did a free run on a dyno jet that i did my baseline on..i was previously over 300 on that dyno and now I made 272 in 4th gear.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:21 AM
Moncef

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

His tuner is pretty good actually, he had some minor issues with the BFS that I was able to have cleaned up, but it didn't make any difference in horsepower.

lol yea I would understand if the difference was maybe 5 hp or so but not 15-20 on a mustang dyno....especially when the temp is the same or a bit colder..Yesterday I did a free run on a dyno jet that i did my baseline on..i was previously over 300 on that dyno and now I made 272 in 4th gear.
There are some issues with this intake that I'm still working out now that I have new information. I put the dyno sheet below, maximum whp in November was 295whp on that dyno and then maximum whp on these intakes was 286whp, same dyno but different days. There was a peak 10whp loss. Horsepower is stronger up to 5,200 RPM but that doesn't really matter to us when it comes to modifying these cars life does not begin until you get into the top end of the powerband.

After ruling out the tune, (timing maps were good, there was nothing more to be gained from modifying the timing curve), I took a look at the intake installation. At least one of the angled reducers on there is stretched on the outside, resulting in a potential binding/pinching on the inside. With horsepower starting to fall off around 6,800 RPM I think those angled reducers are causing a restriction, either that or the filters.

I'm going to try and setup an appointment to have the car dyno'd with stiffer reducers and no filters at some point and report back my results.

Chad, we will talk more about this and I can cover you on the costs of testing going forward.

Pictures are below for more information, sorry for the poor quality on the dyno sheet.

Last edited by Moncef; 02-09-2015 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:12 PM
Fun40zx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking it's cause you went from the injen longtubes and the other guy went with the short ram stillen with the heat shield.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Bmurray350z

Originally Posted by Fun40zx
I'm thinking it's cause you went from the injen longtubes and the other guy went with the short ram stillen with the heat shield.
i'd take the stillen short rams over any injen/stillen longtube design on the hr any day. truthfully, if i were to do everything over again, and didn't do custom, i would keep the oem airboxes with a drop in filter.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:37 PM
Rubidium

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd take the stillen short rams over any injen/stillen longtube design on the hr any day. truthfully, if i were to do everything over again, and didn't do custom, i would keep the oem airboxes with a drop in filter.
If I'd do it again, I'd just buy a tastefully modded car or a used cayman. So you sold the 3" intakes? It seems you still have a lot of parts left over from you part out?
Old 02-11-2015, 07:48 PM
Bmurray350z

Originally Posted by Rubidium
If I'd do it again, I'd just buy a tastefully modded car or a used cayman. So you sold the 3" intakes? It seems you still have a lot of parts left over from you part out?
yeah still have a good bit of parts that are for sale. the intakes can't come off the car until the tune is taken off which should be this saturday. then they'll be in the marketplace for sale.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:47 PM
The_Assassin

Originally Posted by Fun40zx
3 inch intakes will be taken off in 2 weeks. Will be posted up for sale. These are good but just not as good as my CAI injen set up. Great for someone who is scared to hydrolock.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:19 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

3" Longtubes lol...I'm no scientist

I'm still clearing out my garage and soaking up some needed family time but here in the next week or so I'll be continuing my NA quest !

In for more
Old 02-17-2015, 02:58 PM
The_Assassin

Originally Posted by KingBaby

I'm still clearing out my garage and soaking up some needed family time but here in the next week or so I'll be continuing my NA quest !

In for more
3 inch long tubes would most likely be an overkill lol. What are you getting?
Old 03-12-2015, 07:19 PM
Rubidium

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KingBaby

In for more
There was a company that made a set for the 370z......but only made a few sets.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:45 PM
ipodhustle

sorry to awaken the dead lol

but could you elaborate more on this?

also Moncef did you sort out what was wrong with the assassin's setup and why he lost power?

the whole 3 inch intake thing intrigued me if it gained more power than injen cold air intakes and were easier to clean the filters while also having virtually no chance of hydrolocking.