Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Mrev2 with 5/16 Isothermal Spacer Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:10 PM
Cap11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mrev2 with 5/16 Isothermal Spacer Install

Installed this combo today on my 06 revup. Wow what a difference. Thanks to Tony @ Motordyne for an excellent product. After the installation I took it for a drive and I could really feel the gains. Took it home and asked my wife to take it out for a drive (to say she was skeptical would be an understatement). When she pulled back into the driveway I wasn't sure, especially when she said "how much did you pay for that? I replied $679....she said money well spent and gave me a fist bump.

The install went really well, the supplied instructions were well laid out. No issues at all. Took me about 3 hours to install, working by myself. If I had to do it again I could do it in 2 hours or less. Also want to thank B2autodesign for the great price and fast shipping. He is a Motordyne distributor and a member here.

If you have a revup motor I highly recommend this mod.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:55 AM
Turnstien

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it wakes them up I'm getting close to full bolt ons on my rev up and it works good coming from a cobalt ss turbo fully bolted and tuned at 300 hp and 370tq to the wheels I feel the need for boost though but I love the Z cause well it's a Z not a Cobalt lol

Get a Z tube drop in k&n filter exhaust and a uprev tune with your current mods it will feel great I'm happy with it as a daily driver. Headers if you feel it's worth the price most say it's not worth it. I'm debating cheers and congrats on your new mods.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:44 PM
damnhippie

Do you have to do any tuning after these bolt ons?
Old 01-30-2015, 04:11 PM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

Hey Cap11,

Glad to hear it worked out! I also have an 06 Revup VQ35DE and not long ago I also installed the Mrev2 lower plenum and ISO spacer. Wow what a difference! After the install I had the car re-tuned to take full advantage since I already have the Uprev reflash on my ECU. I picked up around 25-30 ft lbs tq in the low-mid range. No joke you get noticeable power gains from this simple bolt on. I have no idea why I didn't do it earlier.

One thing to note. I'm not 100% sure if there is a solid correlation between the two, but I suspect after doing this mod the PCV system was picking up more oil and dumping it into my intake manifold. Keep a close eye on your oil levels. I noticed a huge difference in my oil losses after adding this bolt on. I went from seeing typically 1.5 qts consumed between 3500mi changes to about 2.0 - 2.5. I even installed an oil catch can between the PCV valve and intake port to test this theory. Sure enough after 3500mi of driving. The catch can had picked a lot of oil(3 - 5 Oz), way more than what is considered normal for an N/A engine. I have since disconnected the PCV line going into the lower plenum off the passenger side valve cover and I'm simply venting straight to atmosphere now. Project Import makes a cheap kit that replaces the PCV valve. I did this over the past Holidays (about a month ago) along with a fresh oil change. I've only driven about 1000 miles since then and so far dip-stick checks look promising. But I won't know for sure until I get more miles on the car.

Enjoy your Z!
-Icer

Link to Project Import Kit I'm using:
http://projectimport.com/store/vq35d...-breather-kit/
Old 01-30-2015, 04:43 PM
Cap11

Thanks for the replies. I currently have a JWT pop charger, it looks and sounds good but I don't think it really adds any performance that I could tell.

Thanks for the tip on oil consumption, I'll keep an eye out for that. I have looked into the catch can and will probably do that as my next project. I would really like to get the uprev tune next but that will have to wait awhile. My daughter is in college so not a lot of disposable income at the moment.

Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:13 PM
Cap11

Hey Icer I ordered the PCV delete device that you linked today. They sent me an email and said it was back ordered and it would be a week or two before it would ship. I'll update after I get it, on how it's working. Please do the same for me. I have been burning about a quart of oil between oil changes. I like the idea behind it. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:29 PM
Danoman32

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like the idea of venting to atmosphere. The reason it's a bad idea is now all that oil mist that was going into the intake manifold is now going to coat everything under your hood.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:54 PM
Cap11

You may be right Danoman. It does have a small K&N filter. I have read that it could reduce the oil consumption issue, I figure for the price it might be worth a shot. I'll report back my findings after I've tested it a while.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:47 PM
Danoman32

Originally Posted by Cap11
You may be right Danoman. It does have a small K&N filter. I have read that it could reduce the oil consumption issue, I figure for the price it might be worth a shot. I'll report back my findings after I've tested it a while.
I know I'm right. Thats a why you don't see anyone doing this. A baffled catch can is the way to go. You solved the problem of relieving the crankcase pressure which is minimal but you and whoever else buys this created another problem, venting to atmosphere. Please report back with your results.

Ask ricer to post pics under his good, I bet it's a mess......

Last edited by Danoman32; 02-01-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:33 PM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

Hey Dano,

I've only had it installed for about 1100 miles so far. The filter is doing a damn good job of preventing oily messes "so far", I've been checking it every week. I used to have the Saiko Michi Mini OCC installed instead. It's baffled and works well, but the amount of oil getting into it between changes was so massive, that I believe oil was still getting sucked into my intake and burning.

I'd be happy to post PICs. My engine bay is incredibly clean and so is my Z. Please don't mix icer with ricer. I started using this lame alias over 10 years ago and just stuck with it because it's easy to remember, sure it's lame (I know). Bottom line, don't be a douche.

Yes a complete PCV delete would be the best option using a larger OCC. But it's also expensive when done properly and really not necessary for an N/A engine. This simple breather kit is cheap and if it helps solve my consumption issue, it's worth a try for the price.

Cap,

Since you're only seeing about 1qt loss between changes, that's not bad and honestly considered normal. You may not even need to mess with the PCV. Out of curiousity, what oil are you using?
Old 02-03-2015, 05:20 AM
Cap11

Mobile 1 5w-30
Old 02-03-2015, 07:14 AM
Golden_Armz

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Would love to get this for my 06. But i need to get new tires first. The Z mods are expensive with little gains but its worth it to me.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:52 AM
Danoman32

Originally Posted by icer5160
Hey Dano,

I've only had it installed for about 1100 miles so far. The filter is doing a damn good job of preventing oily messes "so far", I've been checking it every week. I used to have the Saiko Michi Mini OCC installed instead. It's baffled and works well, but the amount of oil getting into it between changes was so massive, that I believe oil was still getting sucked into my intake and burning.

I'd be happy to post PICs. My engine bay is incredibly clean and so is my Z. Please don't mix icer with ricer. I started using this lame alias over 10 years ago and just stuck with it because it's easy to remember, sure it's lame (I know). Bottom line, don't be a douche.
2 things, that was a typing error. And it's funny that you said yourself it's lame. You gotta grow thicker skin ricer.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:58 AM
DeusExMaxima

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Cap11
she said "how much did you pay for that? I replied $679....she said money well spent and gave me a fist bump.
Did you mean $279? Im looking into this mod for my 05 Convertible.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Cap11

No the Mrev2 is around $500. The spacer itself was a little under $200. But you only really need the Mrev2 if you have the revup engine.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:51 PM
DeusExMaxima

I have an 05 which has a non-rev up motor. VQ35DE engine. WHat do I need for the best bang for the buck?
Old 02-07-2015, 08:29 AM
Cap11

I would say the plenum spacer. You can get it for around $200 and install it yourself, it adds some hp & torque.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:52 PM
calibredz33

I noticed the bump too... so did the car. I was running my rear tires at 34psi for daily and down to 28 for drag racing, and after I did the 1/2 spacer, lower plenum, and full fluid maintenance, I went out for another test run, and spun half way through first from a 5mph roll... then I also spun half way through second and even got squirrely into third. traction was beginning to be such an issue I not daily at 30psi. lol I haven't been able to get an official "trap speed" but the local strip, i'm into 4th about a second earlier, and where i was passing 100, i'm now just shy of 110mph. I smashed my friends HR with stillen pops and full exhaust. Keep the Revup alive!
Old 02-07-2015, 04:31 PM
Cap11

I hear ya Calibredz, good post, good story. Me and the wife took the car out today it was about 72 degrees here today. Put the top down and drove around a nearby lake that has some curvy roads that are perfect for the Z. She drove and she made several comments about how much more "get up and go" that the car has now. Fun day.

Duesexmaxima, saw your post on the roadster forum. NICE!! car, mine is a black roadster too. But it doesn't look as good as yours, but we like it.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:58 PM
DeusExMaxima

capp11....thank you kindly!!! The Nismo side skirts will complete the look...:-)

Quick Reply: Mrev2 with 5/16 Isothermal Spacer Install