Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Pure VQ Sound! Mishimoto’s 350Z Performance Intake R&D!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 07:58 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

The bigger radiator pics
Attached Thumbnails -image.jpg  
Old 08-18-2015, 09:51 PM
350z-Helsinki

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

This setup looks similar to my K&N 57i intake. Only that the K&N has a bigger filter. I really like the design. My car is supercharged now but I used to have the old Mishimoto intake (bad filtration and low quality carbon intake tube) and JWT popcharger (stalling and heat soak).

I would also recommend the bigger intake and MAF housing for NA guys. Make it affordable and I think it would outsell the competition.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:32 PM
Mishimoto
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z-Helsinki
This setup looks similar to my K&N 57i intake. Only that the K&N has a bigger filter. I really like the design. My car is supercharged now but I used to have the old Mishimoto intake (bad filtration and low quality carbon intake tube) and JWT popcharger (stalling and heat soak).

I would also recommend the bigger intake and MAF housing for NA guys. Make it affordable and I think it would outsell the competition.
Got it! Thanks for the recommendation regarding the larger MAF housing. We are definitely taking a closer look at this as a future option.

Originally Posted by terrasmak
The bigger radiator pics
Thanks for the image! I actually have a nearly identical shot with our final intake installed. From what I see, our shroud will fit within the constraints shown in your image. Not by much, but I do believe they will be compatible.

Thanks for taking the time to post this up! The noted image will be posted here tomorrow in the form of a final project update.

Thanks
-John
Old 09-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Mishimoto
Vendor - Former Vendor

Another project update! Check it out below.

Pure VQ Sound! Mishimoto’s Nissan 350Z Performance Intake R&D, Part 4: Final Prototype Assembly

Last time we dyno tested our assembled prototype for sound and performance. Maximum gains were achieved in the midrange of the rpm band to the tune of 10 whp and 13 wtq. These are impressive numbers. We saw gains from the start of the pull through redline, averaging around 5–7 whp/wtq throughout.

The sound produced by the VQ with our intake installed is nothing short of awesome! The large air filter and reduced restriction produces a deeper, amplified induction tone that sounds quite satisfying from behind the wheel.

Our last task is to fully model our design in Solidworks and construct our final prototype for fitment confirmation. As we mentioned last time, minor tweaks were needed to perfect fitment.

Intake 3D Models

With our prototype airbox in hand and our adjustment notes ready, we began constructing our 3D models of the final design. Check out the renderings!

Mishimoto Nissan 350Z intake 3D model

The models below of the full assembly include our MAF-housing adapter and filter in place within the box.

Mishimoto 350Z air intake 3D model assembly

The model above reflects the final iteration of our Z intake system!

Final Prototype Fabrication

Construction of the final prototype will be based on the dimensions of the final model, which will allow us to verify that our fitment is 100% spot on.

First, we split up the model into separate pieces so that we could map out the cuts needed for the airbox. These were then printed out as templates for the individual pieces.

Nissan 350Z intake airbox design, paper templates

We then adhered these templates to a sheet of steel to start fabrication.

Nissan 350Z intake airbox design, paper templates

We went to work with the band saw, grinder, bender, shears, and sander to accurately construct the individual pieces of our airbox.

Constructing the 350Z air intake airbox

All components are ready for welding.

Constructing the 350Z air intake airbox

We then began putting this puzzle together with the help of our TIG-welder!

Welding the prototype airbox

Welding the prototype airbox

Once the box was fully welded, we used the sander to clean up the welds and smooth the joints.

Finishing the prototype airbox

Final Prototype

Once the seams were smoothed and represented the desired quality of our final product, the prototype was complete.

This piece was painted, and we attached weather-stripping on all edges to ensure vibrational noises are eliminated during operation. Check out a few fully installed shots!

Final prototype, Nissan 350Z air intake

Final prototype, Nissan 350Z air intake

Final prototype, 350Z air intake

Coming Up!

Development and product design are complete for our first Nissan 350Z air intake system. From the power gains, to the fitment, to the sound produced, we are extremely pleased with how this setup turned out.

Now that our first batch of intake kits is being manufactured, we are preparing to launch a discounted pre-sale for those interested in picking up this kit. Check back soon for details on pricing and shipping information!

Thanks for following our development progress!
-John
Old 09-05-2015, 08:57 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Just waiting for the 80 to 90mm MAF housing and tube to throttle body version
Old 09-17-2015, 12:03 AM
Koolsilver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on the price I may be interested in picking one of these up. I agree with the other suggestions with a larger housing.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Mishimoto
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Just waiting for the 80 to 90mm MAF housing and tube to throttle body version
Originally Posted by Koolsilver
Depending on the price I may be interested in picking one of these up. I agree with the other suggestions with a larger housing.
Thanks guys, recommendation noted!

Our pre-sale for the factory MAF housing intake system will start next week.

-John
Old 09-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Mishimoto
Vendor - Former Vendor

Our discounted pre-sale is live! Check out the details below.

Pre-Sale Link!!

Mishimoto Nissan 350Z Performance Intake Kit

Expiration Date: 11/6/2015

Estimated Ship Date: 11/6/2015

Basic Specs
  • Direct fit for 2003–2006 Nissan 350Z
  • Dyno-proven maximum gains of up to 10 whp and 13 wtq on the stock tune
  • High-flow air filter with integrated velocity stack provides sharp throttle response and improves airflow
  • No tuning required
  • Highly aggressive intake tone under acceleration
  • Installs in less than 30 minutes with no need to remove the front bumper or splash guard

Pre-Sale Link!!

Feel free to follow up with any questions! Check out our pre-sale page for additional images and information!

Thanks
-John

Last edited by Mishimoto; 09-22-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:47 AM
junior23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking product, I've been following this thread throughout the whole development process and am glad to see the level of effort and ingenuity in promoting your intake over the others on the market.

I'm interested in the pre-sale but was wondering if Mishimoto could ship to Canada using USPS or even FedEX? I saw on the website that you use UPS, but they add an insane amount of brokerage/customs/duties which essentially negates this being a purchase for me. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2015, 10:53 AM
Mishimoto
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by junior23
Great looking product, I've been following this thread throughout the whole development process and am glad to see the level of effort and ingenuity in promoting your intake over the others on the market.

I'm interested in the pre-sale but was wondering if Mishimoto could ship to Canada using USPS or even FedEX? I saw on the website that you use UPS, but they add an insane amount of brokerage/customs/duties which essentially negates this being a purchase for me. Thanks!
Thanks for following our progress Junior! We certainly appreciate the kind words regarding our development and end product. Unfortunately, our warehouse only ships via UPS, we do not currently have additional options for shipping methods.

Sorry!
-John
Old 12-21-2015, 10:41 PM
mmac88

Been following this from the start. Was nice to see how something is developed and made. So I decided to buy one. Can't wait for it to arrive. Shame I missed the sale price but what can you do!! Look forward to reviewing this compared to the jwt popcharger on my track outings! Keep up the good work
Old 12-24-2015, 01:10 AM
CJs_Z33

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mishimoto
Good point! Our filter design has a built-in velocity stack. Got this one covered!

-John
Any pics of said built velocity stack?
Old 01-14-2016, 02:59 AM
Rick*K

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ordered this intake from Amazon. Wish I had known about the new release sale.I have the POP charger and never liked the fact that the MAF and filter element hang off the end of one thin piece of steel rod. I bet it bounces around like crazy while driving but no one ever sees it under driving conditions.Someone should mount a Go Pro under their hood and record what happens. This has way more support. I also have a Stillen intake but it is such a piece of crap I never installed it.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:06 PM
Koolsilver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this CARB legal?
Old 02-26-2016, 06:36 PM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No word of progress on the larger maf, huh?
Old 09-17-2016, 01:02 PM
OdesiTT

Exclamation Let's do some math

Originally Posted by rich2342
No word of progress on the larger maf, huh?
This is a bad idea if you are not looking forward to damage your engine.
Larger MAF hosing is not going to work with stock MAF sensor without calibration and tune. OEM MAF hosing is bottlenecked(76mm outside diameter and 70mm diameter of bottleneck). When MAF measuring amount of air that going through, it assuming diameter of MAF hosing. Using simple formula, your ECU calculating amount of fuel that need to be injected to create the mixture that will burn completely(that's how we making power, right?)

The problem is, that if you'll just plug the MAF sensor in straight, larger pipe, you'll bypass huge amount of uncounted air, simply because ECU don't know the new value. It's similar to having a huge air leak after MAF. As huge as 0.75" round hole in your plenum. I'm literally feel the small of burned pistons when typing this.
Moreover, our MAF hosing designed like this because MAF sensor require a smooth and concentrated airflow for correct measurements.

You need a custom tune and MAF recalibration in order to compensate that extra air volume.

While you have a stock MAF hosing you can use any intake that sound better for you. But before you'll spend your money, just realize that MAF hosing isn't a biggest restriction in your air intake system. TB and valves create so much restriction, that your MAF hosing can't even dream about.

If this is not enough and you still have a burn feeling in your pocket, I'll remind you about cylinders volume.

214/6=35.66 cubic inches EACH
Under the best of conditions that is ALL the air that can flow into a cylinder. By definition the torque peak rpm is the point of absolute flow efficiency. At WOT and this rpm, more air is flowing into cylinder than at any other rpm.
ABOVE this rpm [4600] the air flow declines at roughly a linear rate, due to the build up of frictional resistance to the air flow and the effects of the cam duration.

The intake valves are open [duration] say 240 degrees. That 240 degrees is longer than the 180 degrees for the piston to move from top to bottom because air takes some time to start flowing [getting up to speed] and once flowing [interia] it can still flow even though the piston is starting to move back up the bore.
You can think of this as a very mild supercharging. But because of the slow start and everything else the cylinder still doesn't get more than 34-36 cubic inches of air at best before the intake valve has to close to keep the upward motion from starting to squeeze air out.

Enlarging intake hosing you slowing down an intake charge leading to power loss. After all, 70mm intake hosing diameter have near zero restriction for 3.5L N/A engine. Even if you'll put there 5" pipe all the way to the runners, you're not going to see any gains, because amount of air limited by cylinder volume, not your intake system. So, increasing intake pipe diameter not going to make any difference

Summarising everything, I want to say that OEM RevUp air box and Mishimoto intake is only two intakes that worth attention.
I want to test and review Mishimoto intake together with their silicone pipe for my YouTube channel but I don't have any extra money to purchase their promising product. But if one day I'll get it, I'll make a thread and we will know if Mishimoto intake outperform most beneficial RevUp box, known as one of the best if not best. I'm truly believe that combination of RevUp box with their silicone pipe or Mishimoto intake with Ztube or their smooth silicone pipe will yield a descent gains.

I hope you'll think about it, and stick one of the options from previous paragraph, together with you OEM MAF hosing.
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails -mmhose-350z-03ihbk_1.png  
Old 09-30-2016, 08:30 PM
TeamZleep

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I wasn't going to bother with an intake for my Z...

Well... Now I know who to keep in mind.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:29 AM
g0lfball3R

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Yes this is old, have important question.

So, do you have to go this route when you put it thicker aluminum Radiator? Cause I can’t fully fit the air box close to the duct. I’m not cutting it. Or does aftermarket fan shroud give clearance? Didn’t wanna do an open I take on this. But this one should fit & be smog legal out here!