Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Running ART Pipes with no oxygen sensors and open bungs.. Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 09:40 PM
FromGtoZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Running ART Pipes with no oxygen sensors and open bungs.. Safe?

2003 DE. My stock cats blew, I replaced them with ART Pipes. I planned on using my o2 sensors from my stock cats but they are impossible to remove, so I bought new ones. Is it safe to drive to work for a week until they get here, with the bungs open and the rear o2's completely unplugged? Its about 50 miles each way, 90% highway(55-80mph). I have the 5/16ths spacer, art pipes, y pipe, 3" ap single, would this affect my a/f enough to create a dangerous situation without the rear o2 input/adjustments? My understanding of a/f ratios is extremely basic since I'm n/a on a stock tune, I've previously not had to deal with this personally. I already made the commute once and in addition drove ~20 miles per day for the last week because I absolutely had to and it seemed fine(about 220 miles overall). Could I have already done damage? If so, what? I was driving kind of aggressive, WOT (due to the open loop this should be safe I believe?), downshifting to hear the rumble etc, typical ricer behavior (I was excited for it to be finally running normal again). I also was driving steady for short times at different RPM's to find the minimal drone zone. I doubt I was cruising at 5k+ at all(DavidV said 5k+ was dangerous in a post), if I was it was only for a short time. I'm not sure if this is a factor in whether I did damage. Also, I (now)read everything previously posted on this that I could find, which was a lot (most was applicable to the newer z's/little information on the rear o2 significance in pre 04.5's), and there wasn't agreement on if this is dangerous or just not optimal. I know its not good and I wouldn't drive it until they get here, but its my daily driver(for 8 years). Also, what damage would leaving the bung on the test pipe open cause? One post emphasized to never do this, but gave no reasoning. I really did search, nothing conclusive came up about either. Quite a bit of info, but nothing conclusive. Thanks (a lot!) for any serious answer.

TLDR
-running art pipes w/ open bungs and unplugged rear o2 sensors out of necessity
-is this safe for one week of 100 miles per day (90% highway)
-I have 5/16th's spacer, art pipes, ebay y pipe, agency power ti single (if this matters)
-Drove approx 220 miles so far what did I damage if anything?
-What dangers do open bungs pose?
-only car/daily
Old 09-19-2015, 04:56 AM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Go to the parts store and get a Bolt or something that will fill the hole! You can run with out rear 02's but you will get a CES light. If you run with them unplugged its going to be loud as crap and that exhaust is going to be going be hitting your tranny, not a good idea!
The following users liked this post:
FromGtoZ (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 03:41 PM
FromGtoZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks, I used oil drain plugs for a toyota, they fit perfect m18 x 1.5 incase anyone else needs to get it, 2.99 at autozone, also I got NTK downstream L&R o2 sensors on amazon for 50$ (both total). They have a buy it used option and they aren't used, they are just damaged packaging, when they get here I will post if they are legit or not, if they aren't I just return them.. no big deal.. can't be worse than ebay ones