Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

CAI vs 06 stock intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 11:35 AM
Mudchicken

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CAI vs 06 stock intake

Okay I need help. I have some cash and want to do some mods to my Z. I have searched high and low and haven't been able to find an answer. I have read in multiple threads that the 06+ stock intake with a drop in K&N is the way to go. Admin tuning posted a thread on FB the other day saying their set up makes more HP than any intake out there. I asked what this was compared to and he said 03 and 04. He didn't have dyno tests for the 06 with stock vs Admin but said their system was better. Does anyone have a link or the results of a true CAI (Admin, Injen, AEM....) vs stock 06 possibly with a drop in K&N? Please help I don't want to spend the cash for just sound. I am cool with spending cash aso long as I get some gains. FYI 06 6 speed. Future plans Motordyne lower intake and 5/16 spacer and up rev tune.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:11 PM
rottingcat

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey
Admin tuning/furookie is a bigger intake pipe diameter 3.5 inch
There is also LMR which is 4 inch
all these REQUIRE a tune (~$500) due to the larger size and will definitely make more power.

other CAI stay within stock size parameters and the gains are negligible either the same or worse as 06 air box with k&n
the enclosed design of the stock air box is very well designed, and i believe stillen's intake follows a similar design and is the only one i would get if i was not going bigger.
another note is that the stillen air box will hold the admintuning intake (i emailed them myself to ask)

good luck with your choice but don't think too much about intakes unless you're going bigger lol
Old 12-18-2016, 12:12 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,291 Likes on 895 Posts

Welcome- and while you've searched "high and low" there's a myriad of threads on CAIs and the conclusion is the same. Nissan did a good job with the design of the OEM intake and there aren't any appreciable gains to be made by a simple bolt-on unit without a tune. There have even been some losses documented with some aftermarket units, so save your money.

Last edited by dkmura; 12-18-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Mudchicken

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. So if I do the Admin (larger) a tune is required to feel the gains. I wasn't sure as I haven't found anything comparing the Admin and the 06. So I will hold off on getting it until I'm ready for a tune. Thanks again!!
Old 12-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

The larger diameter intake pipes require a tune for the car to even run. Unless you have the cipher cable and can scale the MAF tables yourself.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:13 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudchicken
Okay I need help. I have some cash and want to do some mods to my Z. I have searched high and low and haven't been able to find an answer. I have read in multiple threads that the 06+ stock intake with a drop in K&N is the way to go. Admin tuning posted a thread on FB the other day saying their set up makes more HP than any intake out there. I asked what this was compared to and he said 03 and 04. He didn't have dyno tests for the 06 with stock vs Admin but said their system was better. Does anyone have a link or the results of a true CAI (Admin, Injen, AEM....) vs stock 06 possibly with a drop in K&N? Please help I don't want to spend the cash for just sound. I am cool with spending cash aso long as I get some gains. FYI 06 6 speed. Future plans Motordyne lower intake and 5/16 spacer and up rev tune.
DK is right, but I still went ahead with the CAI. The huge risk, (esp if you don't run an undertray) is hydrolock. I have several friends who lost their engine due to this. The temperature difference for intake point is almost 0 degrees measured with my laser temp gun. I have both the CAI and HiFlow Berks, and a tune for them.
Bang/$ I would go with the HiFlows, although some might enjoy the induction sound.