Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

The truth about the intake on the 350z

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 10:17 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts
Default The truth about the intake on the 350z

Disclaimer - this is all hypothetical and on-paper...try to follow what I'm saying ...

Lets agree to this:
An engine has one spot of optimal output - peak torque...peak torque doesnt happen at redline ... it happens somewhere 1/2 or 2/3rds of redline - depending on the engines attributes...lets call it call it 4500rpm for our engines.

heres a good interview with Steve Dinan (BMW tuner):
(minute mark 2:05 - but otherwise good interview)
redline).

In reality, max horsepower is a function of how fast you can spin your engine, how much and how quickly air:fuel you can shove in your cylinder and how quickly you can get it out.

Your optimal engine output will be peak torque ... how much airflow do you need to reach peak torque at 4500rpm.

When Nissan designed the 35vq it's my speculation they were more concerned with peak torque and not max horse power.

I say this assuming that the majority of their consumers want to feel the 'butt-dyno' kick in the pants that you feel around 4000 to 5000rpm and knowing that the average consumer would not be driving at redline for more than a fraction of a second through the first few gears but would spend more time between 3k and 5k rpms - especially in spirited throttle rips.

Furthermore, Nissan designed the intake (as a whole) to take advantage of peak torque rather than max hp.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:18 PM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Nice post. Most people don't seem to grab the concept of what making power really is. 10hp at redline might mean a 15tq loss in the midrange. It's almost always a trade off. Everyone wants power all over with full bolt ons and a tune and then get heartborken when they dyno it.

The question is, how much torque can you make and how long can you hold it.

Our torque curve is very similar to a v8 torque curve in how we make gobs of torque in the low end and midrange followed by a drop off at 5k to redline. The best way to take advantage of that is well, a turbo. Preferably a bigger turbo to basically spool late and bring the torque curve up when it starts to fall off. Keep a nice flat torque curve under a certain limit and you'll make tons of power while still staying in a somewhat safe margin. At least that's my take on it
Old 02-28-2017, 11:46 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

the way i was always taught was, tq gets you moving, hp keeps you moving. yes higher tq off the line will push you in your seat, but so will a higher gear set. hp will allow you to go 150, 160, 170, 180 mph. after the initial get up and go, its the hp that keeps you accelerating and going. thats why alot of v8 have gobs of tq down low but in a long race, say the mile, they lose that acceleration power on the second half.

in drag racing a 1/4 car is geared and set up differently than a 1/8 car. its really what YOU want. personally, for road and track, mid and high is best for MY personal preference.