Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

LH Headlight Low Beam not working!

Old 10-06-2005, 01:01 PM
ecorona6

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LH Headlight Low Beam not working!

When my headlights are turned on (low beam) the LH (driver side) high beam turns on, but the RH (passenger side) is working properly. When I flash the high beam switch the LH's high beam remains on, but the turn signal light (orange) illuminates a small amount and the back bumber turn signal also turns on a small amount. It seems as if the low beam wire was cut and connected to the highbeam and now its all the highbeam!

I checked all the fuses in the engine compartment, interior and even check all the wires running from the LH headlight to the fuse box for cracks or tears, but nothing.

Does anyone have any leads or does anything connect to the headlights that may be causing this that I can check? I did have my RH headlight wire harness replace (accident), but the RH works fine! Help......

Does any one know of a Electrician that can help me?
Old 10-06-2005, 01:16 PM
cyberz350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to take your car back to the place you got it fixed from the accident?

Originally Posted by ecorona6
When my headlights are turned on (low beam) the LH (driver side) high beam turns on, but the RH (passenger side) is working properly. When I flash the high beam switch the LH's high beam remains on, but the turn signal light (orange) illuminates a small amount and the back bumber turn signal also turns on a small amount. It seems as if the low beam wire was cut and connected to the highbeam and now its all the highbeam!

I checked all the fuses in the engine compartment, interior and even check all the wires running from the LH headlight to the fuse box for cracks or tears, but nothing.

Does anyone have any leads or does anything connect to the headlights that may be causing this that I can check? I did have my RH headlight wire harness replace (accident), but the RH works fine! Help......

Does any one know of a Electrician that can help me?
Old 10-06-2005, 01:27 PM
ecorona6

Originally Posted by cyberz350
Is it possible to take your car back to the place you got it fixed from the accident?
The shop hired an outside contracter to do the work and he is on a 2 month long vacation. His work was only to connect headlight/fan/horn/water dispensor plugs on the passanger side, but that side works fine!
Old 10-06-2005, 01:42 PM
cyberz350

That sucks. Make sure your bulb isn't busted.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:05 PM
ecorona6

Originally Posted by cyberz350
That sucks. Make sure your bulb isn't busted.
I did...I even tried the NEW Left headlight on the right and and worked fine, but I tried the NEW right headlight on the left and the highbeams came on! So I know it is a wiring or circuit problem.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:08 AM
drifter23

Ecorona6 I am having the same issue you are having. My passenger low beam just went out and now it doesn't work. All of the bulbs on the headlights work except for the low beam. I did all the things you did and found no leads (check all fuses). I also checked my headlight wire with a voltimeter and found that no current is running through it. If you find the problem on your headlights let me know. I will let you know if I find the issue on mine.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:21 AM
ecorona6

Originally Posted by drifter23
Ecorona6 I am having the same issue you are having. My passenger low beam just went out and now it doesn't work. All of the bulbs on the headlights work except for the low beam. I did all the things you did and found no leads (check all fuses). I also checked my headlight wire with a voltimeter and found that no current is running through it. If you find the problem on your headlights let me know. I will let you know if I find the issue on mine.
Ok.....Here was the problem...I took the car into an electrical shop and found that the LH headlight (Brand new bought at Superior Nissan) had the lines routed differently than my car plug (maybe factory defect or different model or year). The tech showed me that the ground wire from the headlight was in the low beam section of the car wire harness plug causing it to short. This caused my headlight switch (inside the vehicle, the **** that turns the lights on and off) to blow a circuit. The resolution was to rewire my cars headlight harness plug to match with the wrong headlight plug and pull the circuit board from the steering column and solder a new circuit (took it to a TV/VCR repair shop) on the board. All the parts & labor $450 discounted ($850 reg price) took 3 days.

People might say why didnt you just buy a new headlight? It was 2 days in and the headlight was completely taken appart (voiding any returns)! Didnt want to wait any more days so I ok'd the work.

For your problem....Have you replaced any headlights (not bulbs)? Have you done any electrical work? You checked the fuses, but which ones? There are two sets..one set in the engine compartment and the other in the drivers side interior panel. I know the fuses very well since I tried to resolve my problem. You say theres no power going through, so that sounds like a fuse. I always had power it just never went to the right place! Give me some details and I will try and help you.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:54 AM
drifter23

I checked all the fuses in the lower driver side and the engine bay fuses near the battery. None of the fuses are blown. I might have to take my headlights out and check the entire headlight harness to see if, any wires are damaged. I have aftermarket HID's installed on my 2004 Base. And the HID's have been on my car for over a year now with no problems untill now. The left side flickered and the lights went out. From that day on my right side low beams have been out. I hope I don't have to go the route you did....(fingers crossed) And thanks for posting your situation. I will post my results once I get my headlights apart.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:23 PM
ecorona6

I checked all the fuses in the lower driver side and the engine bay fuses near the battery. None of the fuses are blown. I might have to take my headlights out and check the entire headlight harness to see if, any wires are damaged. I have aftermarket HID's installed on my 2004 Base. And the HID's have been on my car for over a year now with no problems untill now. The left side flickered and the lights went out. From that day on my right side low beams have been out. I hope I don't have to go the route you did....(fingers crossed) And thanks for posting your situation. I will post my results once I get my headlights apart.
It sounds like your ballast (HID unit) might have gone out. I have an extra ballast lying around if that happens to be the problem. I will sell it to you dirt cheap if you need it.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:29 PM
drifter23

It's not the ballast because I changed everything back to OEM and put in the OEM bulb. And the lights still don't come on. I just hope it's just a bad wiring harness that I need to replace.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:15 PM
ecorona6

It's not the ballast because I changed everything back to OEM and put in the OEM bulb. And the lights still don't come on. I just hope it's just a bad wiring harness that I need to replace.
Can I ask how you connected your HID kit to your EOM harness? Your 350z Base harness has a 6 prong plug, where the HID unit has a 8 prong. Did you hard hire it to the the headlight. Send me a pick of your HID harness and I can try to descramble how it was connected and what it would effect on your EOM harness. And possibly give you a lead on where to look. ecorona6@hotmail.com or post it up on the thread.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:53 PM
drifter23

Can I ask how you connected your HID kit to your EOM harness? Your 350z Base harness has a 6 prong plug, where the HID unit has a 8 prong. Did you hard hire it to the the headlight. Send me a pick of your HID harness and I can try to descramble how it was connected and what it would effect on your EOM harness. And possibly give you a lead on where to look. ecorona6@hotmail.com or post it up on the thread.
I will put up some pictures of my HID install sometime today if not tomorrow for sure. The Hid kit a got is a plug in play kit and I did not need to hard wire or splice any wires. It has a connector that connects to the oem bulb connector and the ballast has the connectors that go to the HID bulb. The HID kit that I have on my car is the Mcculloch 6000K kit.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:30 AM
drifter23

I removed my headlights and switched headlight harnesses and the left low beam still doesn't turn on. I'm going to see if Z car garage or Scott's Performance can fix my problem. I forgot to take pictures for you ecorona6. I will take some when I replace the bulbs. Thanks for all your insightful and helpfull posts. I have given up and will just take it to a shop to get fixed. Just hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to fix.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:47 AM
ecorona6

I removed my headlights and switched headlight harnesses and the left low beam still doesn't turn on. I'm going to see if Z car garage or Scott's Performance can fix my problem. I forgot to take pictures for you ecorona6. I will take some when I replace the bulbs. Thanks for all your insightful and helpfull posts. I have given up and will just take it to a shop to get fixed. Just hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to fix.
Good luck. I gave up myself! If your not an electrician you can cause more damage than good, I thought! Just make sure you take it to someone you trust cause electricians charge by the hour (45 or 65 per hr).
Old 10-25-2005, 10:56 AM
drifter23

Yikes 45 or 65 an hour damm thats gonna be expensive. I searched some more on the forum and found out that our cars have three fuse locations. Here is what someone wrote: "There is another fuse box up under the cowl mounted to the firewall. So there is a total of three fuse boxes. You have to remove the plastic pieces around the battery to get to it. There are about ten plastic clips. There is a tail fuse in there I bet its blown. The fuse box nissan calls the IPDM". I might have I blown fuse in this location...I hope it is.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:37 PM
ecorona6

Yikes 45 or 65 an hour damm thats gonna be expensive. I searched some more on the forum and found out that our cars have three fuse locations. Here is what someone wrote: "There is another fuse box up under the cowl mounted to the firewall. So there is a total of three fuse boxes. You have to remove the plastic pieces around the battery to get to it. There are about ten plastic clips. There is a tail fuse in there I bet its blown. The fuse box nissan calls the IPDM". I might have I blown fuse in this location...I hope it is.
I thought you checked the IPDM box. That is the main fuse box that the headlights run power through. If you only checked the "Fuse and Fusible link Box" you must see the fuses on the IPDM. I have the full Electrical Lighting diagrams books that will show you how, where and the fuses in the IPDM on Adobe Acrobat if you want them. They helped me a great deal. I cant load them here, but I can email you them if you like, give me your email address and I will send them. FYI...the IPDM is behind the battery and it helps to remove it along with the plastic covers around the area, so you can remove the plastic cover from the IPDM box. Once in, you have six headlight fuses, 1 LH High, 1 RH High, 1 LH Low, 1 RH Low and also 1 seperate LH & 1 RH fuse. I am certain the low is blown. The first fuse to blow is in the IPDM box. Let me know.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:56 PM
drifter23

I thought you checked the IPDM box. That is the main fuse box that the headlights run power through. If you only checked the "Fuse and Fusible link Box" you must see the fuses on the IPDM. I have the full Electrical Lighting diagrams books that will show you how, where and the fuses in the IPDM on Adobe Acrobat if you want them. They helped me a great deal. I cant load them here, but I can email you them if you like, give me your email address and I will send them. FYI...the IPDM is behind the battery and it helps to remove it along with the plastic covers around the area, so you can remove the plastic cover from the IPDM box. Once in, you have six headlight fuses, 1 LH High, 1 RH High, 1 LH Low, 1 RH Low and also 1 seperate LH & 1 RH fuse. I am certain the low is blown. The first fuse to blow is in the IPDM box. Let me know.
That would be great if you can email me the diagram ecorona6. If you can please email it to xalents2001@yahoo.com. Thanks again for your help.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:55 PM
ecorona6

That would be great if you can email me the diagram ecorona6. If you can please email it to xalents2001@yahoo.com. Thanks again for your help.
sent you an email.....
Old 10-25-2005, 02:30 PM
drifter23

sent you an email.....
I didn't receive the email you sent.... Maybe the file is to big for my yahoo account. If it is can you send it to my work email address pdo@euphonix.com. Sorry for any troubling you.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:48 PM
ecorona6

I didn't receive the email you sent.... Maybe the file is to big for my yahoo account. If it is can you send it to my work email address pdo@euphonix.com. Sorry for any troubling you.
your right it didnt work....I resent it to the above address.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LH Headlight Low Beam not working!