Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tire FEATHERING: FYI

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 06:37 AM
ezchief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

I am glad you brought up the tire issue. The service manager did tell me that they had to switch tires on the 3000 GT at Mitsu but it was not the cure. Just delayed the inevitable. It was the suspension set up that was wrong. Right now I would demand new tires from Nissan and not go out and buy your own. This is definitelly a warranty issue and might be hard to recoup your dollars on tires. DEMAND new tires from them.

Just my opinion.

AKA Loaner
Old 03-27-2003, 08:13 AM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jmark
How bout a petition for the bounce problem too? I am still waiting on my dealers owner who has ties with NNA for answers on the bounce problem. I will make him aware of the feathering issue too.
I think the point is that they MOST LIKELY are the same thing, lower damp rates (VS spring rates) cause tire feathering and a bouncy ride, new shocks would fix both problems.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:13 AM
kawataworks

Originally posted by ezchief
Guys,

I am glad you brought up the tire issue. The service manager did tell me that they had to switch tires on the 3000 GT at Mitsu but it was not the cure. Just delayed the inevitable. It was the suspension set up that was wrong. Right now I would demand new tires from Nissan and not go out and buy your own. This is definitelly a warranty issue and might be hard to recoup your dollars on tires. DEMAND new tires from them.

Just my opinion.

AKA Loaner
ezchief-

I agree. Guys do go out there and demand NEW tires from them. And please open a Case # so that we can track ALL of your complaints.

Ian
Old 03-27-2003, 08:16 AM
Jewelz350

Please help. My 'kindness' is wearing thin. I posted on the other thread yesterday what the dealership is saying. Here is today's update.

After a day and a half they still haven't checked the alignment. But if it is out of alignment, they don't want to align it because the tires are so bad. The can't do the tire swap because they don't have the proper equipment and they would have to send them out to be done. Here is the kicker. They don't want to pay for the tire swap even if the car is out of alignment. They keep telling me it is from agressive driving. He said the back tires are feathering as well and that I also have worn the edges from tire rollover (cupping?) CAUSED by agressive driving. Yes, I have the proper inflation rate in the tires. Their suggestion is I buy new tires and then IF it is out of alignment then they would align it.

The car has 5200 miles on it. The overwhelming majority is highway miles. How do you disprove agressive driving??? What now???
Old 03-27-2003, 08:32 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

Take pictures and keep all your documents on your situation, and write down the BS they give you about "aggressive driving".....if you end up having to go to court for this, you'll have lots of ammo against them......they're gonna have to explain how a sports car cannot handle being driven "agressively" like a sports car.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:36 AM
ezchief

Your going to have to open a file at NNA. Demand that they put the car on the machine! You have to see if the car is out of spec. Replacing or rotating the tires will not solve the problem. Demand new tires on the fronts and tell the service manager that you will come back weekly if need be to monitor the wear on the tire. Hold your ground. NNA is aware of the problem and they are "working" on the fix.

On another note Steven just called about my file. I put him in touch with the SM at my dealer to discuss his point of the camber and toe specs and the same problem Mitsubishi had. I called the SM and gave him Steven's number and extension. Told him I would be willing to be the test car for what they need to do. SM was going to call Steven with his observations and recommendations on the tire issue.

Steven did tell me that he has had a few complaints. People, you need to get on board and file your complaint with NNA.

You might try ext. 3866 when you call so our concerns are centralized.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:13 AM
cobf32

What is this I keep reading about nor being able to align the car properly if the tires are shot? Does the machine "attach" to the tires or directly to the wheels?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but my dealer aligned the car, rotated the tires as per Nissan TSB, and I ended up getting new tires after a fight, but now the car pulls to the right. It never did that before even on the old noisy, badly feathered tires. Mabey the alignment is still off, causing the pulling. I really don't trust my dealer to give me the right answers or do anything right (long story...), so if someone who knows about alignment machines/procedures could let me know.
TIA

Silverstone Performance
Phoenix AZ
Old 03-27-2003, 11:48 AM
ezchief

Per my SM at the dealer. Doing the alignment is fine and putting new tires on is fine. Doing the alignment and putting the old tires back on is no good. Watch your new tires for feathering. It will start in awhile. Consider yourself a test batch to see if the alignment will fix the problem and they (you) should watch your tires.

The real problem is per the SM. Even if they spec the car to Nissan's requirements, they might have the wrong specs all together. Meaning they may (insert "do") have an engineering problem. You are a test even if they did not tell you. Watch your tires for the next few weeks or month for the wearing. The SM believes that the specs that Nissan engineers came up with are wrong all together. You have negative camber and too much toe ( I am not sure if in or out) but it chomps the tires every time they rotate.

Consider it a band aid and get ready to fight for some new tires in awhile until they fix the problem.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:06 PM
RobJames

Just talked to my SM. Last week, I had the tires swapped and the alignment, and they ordered new tires. My tires are in and they are going to put them on Monday. Interestingly, the SM told me that Bobby, the master mechanic, told the SM that he knows how to fix the problem, but he didn't want to mess with it until the new tires are on because it wouldn't do any good. I really trust this mechanic as he saved me a lot of money on my old 93tt by sending me elsewhere for certain repairs at cheaper prices. If he says he knows how to fix it, I tend to think there might be something there. Anyway, I asked the SM if Bobby told him what the fix was, and he didn't. I guess we'll see Monday, although, I won't truly be able to tell if it is fixed until 6000 or so miles down the road on the new tires. I'll let you know what he says Monday.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:18 PM
ezchief

Rob,

Can you please PM me when and if you find out what the fix is. As I have said, my SM was at Mitsubishi when the 3000 GT had the problem. He says he has a few ideas, also. If we can get Tulsa and Dallas together thinking, maybe we can get this nipped in the bud. I am supposed to be getting new tires in a week or so and it sure would be nice to have some guys in the trenches working together.

Jim
Old 03-27-2003, 12:20 PM
RobJames

Will do.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:40 PM
aggie300zx

cobf32,

It is interesting that you mention the car pulling to the right after the alignment. That is exactly what has occured on my Z as well after the alighnment and tire cross-swap. Now it very well could be because of the tires, so I am holding judgement until after my tires are replaced next week. But if it still pulls to the right, I will be even more suspicous of "proper" alighnment specs.

Folks, start your complaint with Nissan...Steven is the guy that can make things happen at least when it comes to motivating your dealer. Past that, we know engineerings and RSM will have to get involved.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:13 PM
Enforcer

Default Re: Spring Information from Dealer Parts Dept.

Originally posted by jelledge
Okay I called my Nissan dealer and got the spring part numbers and dates they were used on production vehicles. My next venture is get Nissan to tell me what the differences are....

Front Springs
June 2002 - December 2002 = 54010-CD002
Decemeber 2002 - Present = 54010-CD003

Rear Springs
June 2002 - May 2003 = 55020-CD010
As of May 2003 = 55020-AM810

So Nissan changed something in the front spring in December
and the rear spring is changing in May. What the hell.

I will hound Nissan for this information about what the difference are.
I gave these to Steve this morning and he just called me back. He talked to engineering. Engineering says the spring part number changes are not related to this problem or any problem. They say most likely supply issue of some kind.

He also said engineering stated they are aware of the problem but there is no fix yet, they say be patient.

This is going to take some time, I wouldn't expect anything real soon, but it's clear to me the engineers are aware the alignment tire swap fix...isn't, and are working on one. Now I know that doesn't fix the problem for all of us right now, but it is a step in the right direction.

Keep the pressure on, when the engineers do come up with a fix, if they haven't already, it's going to cause headaches with management ( IE $$). There may be more than one fix they explore and ultimately cost will be a factor. And they still may not have a recall. Companies avoid these like the plague. So don't count on it.

As many have stated already, call Steve and start a case if you haven't already. He said he is working hundreds of cases (not just this problem and I suspect not just the Z) but be patient, he will call back.

Enforcer
Old 03-27-2003, 07:02 PM
JimH

Default Dealer in Phoenix

I (finally) left my selling dealer and went to Pinnacle Nissan in Scottsdale and had them check the alignment after the orig. dealer had done an alignment. Guess what? Yup, it was way out of alignment
I am driving clear across the valley to get to Pinnacle, but much better service from them so far. Far better than Midway. If you go to Pinnacle, see Doug Barsell and tell him Jim w/the Le Mans Sunset sent you. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by cobf32
I really don't trust my dealer to give me the right answers or do anything right (long story...), so if someone who knows about alignment machines/procedures could let me know.
TIA

Silverstone Performance
Phoenix AZ
Old 03-27-2003, 07:12 PM
cobf32

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info Jim.

I have had it with Midway.

Silverstone Performance
Phoenix Az
Old 03-28-2003, 03:50 AM
jeffa55

I'm sorry if I am asking something that has been said multiple times, but I just can't find it in this thread (it's soooo long now). Can someone post the phone number and ext to reach this Stephen guy??

Also, does anybody know if there is ANYONE out there with 8K plus miles and NO feathering problem?? If there are (which I believe there was another thread were people had high mileage and no problem) then how do you explain this?? If it is truely an engineering problem, then wouldn't ALL of the cars have this problem??
Old 03-28-2003, 06:06 AM
rodH

Originally posted by jeffa55
I'm sorry if I am asking something that has been said multiple times, but I just can't find it in this thread (it's soooo long now). Can someone post the phone number and ext to reach this Stephen guy??

Also, does anybody know if there is ANYONE out there with 8K plus miles and NO feathering problem?? If there are (which I believe there was another thread were people had high mileage and no problem) then how do you explain this?? If it is truely an engineering problem, then wouldn't ALL of the cars have this problem??
I think it has been said that the problem is much worse if you are averaging higher speeds (in other words if you drive to work on the freeway for 60 miles a day, you would probably have MUCH worse problems than if you just go stop light to stop light/city driving, even with the same milage). Isn't that right???
Old 03-28-2003, 09:11 AM
kawataworks

Default Who do you call when your tires begin to feather/cup?

Call the NNA and ask for Steven Lam x3866. He has helped many of us and knows of the issue.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:06 PM
rodH

Default Re: Who do you call when your tires begin to feather/cup?

Originally posted by kawataworks
Call the NNA and ask for Steven Lam x3866. He has helped many of us and knows of the issue.
what is the actual phone #?? i want to call today???
Old 03-28-2003, 12:13 PM
rodH

Default Re: Re: Who do you call when your tires begin to feather/cup?

Originally posted by rodH
what is the actual phone #?? i want to call today???
found it and i just filed my case #

Quick Reply: Tire FEATHERING: FYI