Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tire FEATHERING: FYI

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 09:04 AM
Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by A17Z
i believe the feathering effects Zs built on and before september 18.
That includes me and everyone in the first run? Like all the preorders? If its true why hasn't Nissan put out a recall, not just a TSB? How did you get your info? If you are correct, Nissan needs to issue a recall, not just a TSB.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:55 AM
s9am_me

when is the feathering usually occuring for people?? I've got 2,500miles on my Z so far. If this becomes a problem.. i might just get new tires along with some new rims
Old 03-03-2003, 03:56 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by s9am_me
when is the feathering usually occuring for people?? I've got 2,500miles on my Z so far.
4-8K for most folks it seems.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:45 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when is the feathering usually occuring for people?? I've got 2,500miles on my Z so far. If this becomes a problem.. i might just get new tires along with some new rims
That'll only tie you over for a few thousand miles, and then your new tires will start to feather as well.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:53 PM
s9am_me

well i was thinking about getting better tires than the stock ones anyways.. so its all good. I think the stock tires are OK
Old 03-03-2003, 06:08 PM
YourMomma

Default More Tires

Has anyone had any good experience with the Bridgestones? I'm seeing lots of complaints, but I'm wondering if anyone is happy... especially in warmer clients.

Opinions from anyone in warmer climates (i.e. Souther Florida, SoCal) would be much appreciated.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:35 PM
JimH

Default Re: More Tires

Well, I must admit, I am not totally turned off of the oem Bridgestone 040 tire. I have 14,450 hard miles on my Z and I would guess that the rear set will go for a total of 22 - 30k miles, even with my hard usage. Now, the fronts are already shot insofar as a quiet ride is concerned tho I would guess there is 50%+ treadlife left in the center section. The inside inch or so has been badly feathered due to misalignment from day of purchase and not the fault of the tire mfg. IMHO. The only area of complaint I have with the oem tires is that they are so quiet up to the point of loss of traction and beyond. I never really know (by sound) when I have lost traction or how much traction I have lost, only by the revs.
The dealer is replacing the front tires this week and it has been aligned so I hope the problem is being taken care of.
Oh, I am in Arizona so no cold wx. tire problems here. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by YourMomma
Has anyone had any good experience with the Bridgestones? I'm seeing lots of complaints, but I'm wondering if anyone is happy... especially in warmer clients.

Opinions from anyone in warmer climates (i.e. Souther Florida, SoCal) would be much appreciated.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:39 AM
John

What psi do you have in the tires? Nissan recs 35 cold in all 4. You may be experiencing alignment AND underinflation. If its worse on the inside than the outside, alignment is a suspect, if its worn less on the outside, it may be underinflated too. You should take it to your dealer ASAP before it gets worse. I would check the psi now, I don't think it should be under 32psi cold, IMO. You could talk to a Bridgestone dealer too.
My psi is at 32psi cold, and 33 in the rear (tire pressure monitors are a nice thing to have). During my normal commute in the winter, it goes up about 3psi after 15 minutes of driving, and during the warmer months about 4-5psi (haven't tried during the summer yet). Raising it 3psi while cold won't make that much of a difference, as underinflation simply wears the inside and outside, not in this wierd reverse feathering pattern.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:29 PM
John

Exclamation

I dropped my car off at the dealer today, and the service manager just called me. Evidentally, a Nissan rep was there today, and mentioned that new TSBs will be issued tomorrow (3/6/03), one of which will be on the feathering tire issue. I'll keep you updated when I find out more answers.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:28 PM
aggie300zx

I have been working with my dealer on the same tire feathering issue. My front tires are in really bad shape. To date they did an alignment and my toe-in was off. I have copies of the alignment numbers before and after they check/adjusted this. I can try and scan them in if anyone is interested, no idea really how to read them though.

Per the Nissan TSB, they cross swaped the front tires, but even so the feathering is so bad the road noise is aweful. I'm going to let it ride to see if the feathering comes back before I push for new tires.

So far so good...
Old 03-05-2003, 07:40 PM
JimH

aggie, How many miles on when they reversed the fronts? I had about 11,000 when they finally did mine and the noise went away immediately and I was a happy camper That is, for the next few hundred miles, then it came back w/a vengeance! Noise from 85mph down rather than 25mph and down. Interesting that your noise never went away.
I would like to see that alignment spec that they gave you. I couldn't get mine. Will you post? Thx, Regards, Jim

Originally posted by aggie300zx
I have been working with my dealer on the same tire feathering issue. My front tires are in really bad shape. To date they did an alignment and my toe-in was off. I have copies of the alignment numbers before and after they check/adjusted this. I can try and scan them in if anyone is interested, no idea really how to read them though.

Per the Nissan TSB, they cross swaped the front tires, but even so the feathering is so bad the road noise is aweful. I'm going to let it ride to see if the feathering comes back before I push for new tires.

So far so good...
Old 03-05-2003, 08:02 PM
droideka

Default Re: Re: More Tires

Originally posted by JimH
Well, I must admit, I am not totally turned off of the oem Bridgestone 040 tire. I have 14,450 hard miles on my Z and I would guess that the rear set will go for a total of 22 - 30k miles, even with my hard usage.
You must not be driving that hard. I had 1/32" left before hitting the wear bars on my rear 040s at only 7100 miles.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:20 PM
JimH

Default Re: Re: Re: More Tires

Whoa! That is ugly tire mileage. I run at the strip every Saturday and occasionally Wed. nite as well as lots of other nefarious wheel spinning activity and I appear to be getting 3 times the wear. I dunno, maybe the road/track surface is more forgiving out here in Arizona! Regards, Jim

Originally posted by droidekaus
You must not be driving that hard. I had 1/32" left before hitting the wear bars on my rear 040s at only 7100 miles.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Re: Re: More Tires

Did you hit the wear bars across the tread or only on the inside shoulder?
Old 03-05-2003, 08:34 PM
droideka

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: More Tires

Originally posted by JimH
Whoa! That is ugly tire mileage. I run at the strip every Saturday and occasionally Wed. nite as well as lots of other nefarious wheel spinning activity and I appear to be getting 3 times the wear. I dunno, maybe the road/track surface is more forgiving out here in Arizona! Regards, Jim
Unbelievable! Mine would have been slicks at 10K.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:37 PM
droideka

Originally posted by Boomer
Did you hit the wear bars across the tread or only on the inside shoulder?
These were the rears. All of the way across. Besides the feathering, the fronts still had a good 3/16" left on them.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Boomer

These were the rears. All of the way across. Besides the feathering, the fronts still had a good 3/16" left on them.
Wow, I agree w/JimH, you are really driving that Z. I thought you would get at least 12,000 miles out of the rear 040s, was I ever wrong! All of the way across, given the camber settings, is really surprising.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:31 AM
aggie300zx

Let me try and get the specs scanned in today, and I will post.

I had about 6000 miles when it first started, the tires were cross swapped at 8600 miles. My feathering was so bad it doesn't matter if you turn the tires sideways, I'm getting the road noise because the tires are ruined. I discussed with the dealer the idea of tire replacement and we both agreed that we wait and see if the feathering comes back again before taking that step. Not that they confirmed they would replace them, but I'm not done with them on that either.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:56 AM
BigZ

Default Courtessy Nissan

Anyone dealt with Courtessy Nissan and the tire feathering? Since this is the closest dealership, I'd rather take it to them if they have handled this issue before.

Is the TSB actually out yet?
Old 03-06-2003, 06:45 AM
aggie300zx

Not sure if it is officially out, but I do know that the Nissan Tech line is recommending cross-swapping the tires.

Quick Reply: Tire FEATHERING: FYI