Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 10:09 PM
cwerdna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I took my Z in for a free inspection the other week (wasn't low enough on gas yet), I spoke to the service director and mentioned I saw the procedure and noted that it's a big job. He agreed. But he claimed that they'd have to do an inspection first before doing the work and that not all of the Zs need the hoses replaced (saying that Nissan was unsure if this was a problem that was later corrected in their processes).

Not sure if he's BSing me or not. At the time, I hadn't seen all the documents at NHTSA's web site. If they can tell if a vehicle within the VIN ranges does NOT need any hose replacement w/o the whole disassembly procedure, that could explain some people's service being relatively fast .
Old 03-15-2006, 05:23 AM
gixracer

to get to these hoses, any of them, you have to take the whole g@d d@mn rear end off it is not a fast process. if they say they can get it done in 3 hours thats b.s.!!!!!!! it took me 3.5 to put springs and sways on. they have so much more to do .
Old 03-15-2006, 06:18 AM
MJBsZ

Anyone have theirs done in the Philly area? Anyone recommend a dealer to do it? I've taken my car to Courtesy Nissan, but don't really 100% trust them. Any input?
Old 03-15-2006, 06:54 AM
Road Warrior

is it true this can throw a ses light?
Old 03-15-2006, 01:46 PM
red350zguy
Banned

Just an FYI for you guys, I decided to call the other 2 dealerships in my area and ask them if they saw any hoses cracking, I called Reed Nissan first, talk to the shop foreman, he said they have done 3 so far, and 2 of them the hoses were cracking on. I called Classic Nissan next, and talked with the service manager, who was very helpful and very knowledgable about this, they have done 3 so far and all of them the hoses were cracking on, 2 of the cars all the hoses were cracked, and the other one only the filler hose was cracked. He also told me the way Nissan discovered this problem, was a Z acutally caught on fire up north, that's when Nissan started to look into this. But since all 3 dealerships in my area have seen the hoses cracked, I think this is something that needs to be fixed now and not wait to do. I not sure if the one guy was telling the truth about the Z that caught on fire, but it kind of makes sense, why would Nissan go thru all of this if there were no incidents of this happening, it has to be costing them a sh*t lot of money. I have my car scheduled to be done this coming Monday, and I will let everyone know how it goes.

Last edited by red350zguy; 03-15-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:50 AM
maxipad96

****... i just had the dealer do this to my car. HAD NO IDEA it was that big of a deal.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:20 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you give us more detail? Did you find anything out of place? Any scratches? Is the ride the same? Any strange noise like creaks or vibration afterwards?

Originally Posted by maxipad96
****... i just had the dealer do this to my car. HAD NO IDEA it was that big of a deal.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Soccerprep205

I have my appointment for when i get back from Cali, in early april!
Old 03-16-2006, 12:41 PM
maxipad96

Im picking it up tomorrow. So I will let everyone know.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:46 PM
bixby

Mine is at the dealer today! They didn't tell me the fuel level needed to by 1/4 or less. The recall says "to minimize fuel spilage" so hopefully I won't lose to much since I was at 3/4 when I dropped it off.

They are use to me and know I will b1tch about anything out of place or even minor damage so I'm pretty confident it will be right when I get it back this afternoon.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Yohan33

I was just wonderon out of all the Z's, how many have actually had thier engine burn up or expolde or watvever?
Old 03-16-2006, 01:59 PM
slyking

Took in my car last week - the job was done in about 2 1/2 hrs. the dealer threw in a car wash for free.

Cheers
Old 03-16-2006, 03:02 PM
red350zguy
Banned

I would really worry if something this big and detailed was done in 2 1/2 hours, I do not see how it's possible to do this job that quick.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:04 PM
99atlantic

Originally Posted by red350zguy
Just an FYI for you guys, I decided to call the other 2 dealerships in my area and ask them if they saw any hoses cracking, I called Reed Nissan first, talk to the shop foreman, he said they have done 3 so far, and 2 of them the hoses were cracking on. I called Classic Nissan next, and talked with the service manager, who was very helpful and very knowledgable about this, they have done 3 so far and all of them the hoses were cracking on, 2 of the cars all the hoses were cracked, and the other one only the filler hose was cracked. He also told me the way Nissan discovered this problem, was a Z acutally caught on fire up north, that's when Nissan started to look into this. But since all 3 dealerships in my area have seen the hoses cracked, I think this is something that needs to be fixed now and not wait to do. I not sure if the one guy was telling the truth about the Z that caught on fire, but it kind of makes sense, why would Nissan go thru all of this if there were no incidents of this happening, it has to be costing them a sh*t lot of money. I have my car scheduled to be done this coming Monday, and I will let everyone know how it goes.
Sounds like he was full of **** - there have been *0* reported incidents of fire/explosion/fatalities in relation to this.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:29 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have this recall done and have an dual aftermarket exhaust? When I took my car in for the axle clicking TSB, they charged me $50 extra because they had to take off the exhaust. They told me they didn't have to with the stock one because it had only one pipe on one side.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone got a hassle with aftermarket dual exhausts for this recall.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:28 PM
99atlantic

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Anyone have this recall done and have an dual aftermarket exhaust? When I took my car in for the axle clicking TSB, they charged me $50 extra because they had to take off the exhaust. They told me they didn't have to with the stock one because it had only one pipe on one side.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone got a hassle with aftermarket dual exhausts for this recall.
I could see it with a TSB, but not a recall
Old 03-16-2006, 05:41 PM
red350zguy
Banned

I don't know who told you there were "0" reported incidents, but I do not think that is correct. There is no way Nissan or any company would spend the money they are spending for this, if nothing ever happen. This service manager was very knowledagable and he really had no reason to lie to me. I told him up front, that I wouldn't be bringing my car to him as he is not the dealership I use for service.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:54 PM
FloridaBoy

Originally Posted by ZlleH
If they tried that with me, I would tell them it took an hour of your time (or more) just to take the vehicle to them and deal with their recall... what is your time worth... mine is worth a lot more than 50.00 an hour. That would just be petty and pathetic.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 03-16-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:51 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy
If they tried that with me, I would tell them it took an hour of your time (or more) just to take the vehicle to them and deal with their recall... what is your time worth... mine is worth a lot more than 50.00 an hour. That would just be petty and pathetic.
Damn, and to think my best experiences with a service dept was at one of the local chevy dealerships. Those guys were outstanding. Seems like nissan blows the hardest when it comes to customer service. Fortunately on this recall my VIN falls outside the range affected VIN numbers. I cant even get the f*cktards at my nissan service dept to fix the drivers side seat clicking. Good luck to you guys that need this recall work done.

Last edited by DAYTONA-ZED; 03-16-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:16 PM
slyking

Originally Posted by red350zguy
I would really worry if something this big and detailed was done in 2 1/2 hours, I do not see how it's possible to do this job that quick.
I should have been clearier. I dropped the car off at 8 am and picked it up only a 6 pm - When asked how long it took, the support rep's answer was 2 1/2 hrs. Well, I do hope they did the job correctly.

Quick Reply: Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's