Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 02:38 PM
mikerz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InsaneChink
i acutally got a rental for the 5 days... the bill came out to ~300.00
Why did you have to foot the bill of $300 for a recall?
Old 03-04-2006, 04:38 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
really not a matter of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" because this could be serious. anyone remember the ford recall on their tires and how many people got killed in rollovers before they finally decided to do something. gotta give nissan a little credit here regarding safety...and looks like a lot of work to fix it so that can't be cheap. don't get me wrong...this really sucks for all owners effected by this and i totally understand the concerns about having the dealer practically tearing half your car apart.
I think most of the concerns my fellow members have are related to poor prior experiences with some nissan services departments and the incompetence of some of the staff and techs involved that makes us not want to have those types of people tearing into our car. I'll probably have this done eventually, but only after the service dept I use has done this recall on many, many other Z's. I don't want them using my Z as a test subject and then wondering why they've got some extra parts and screws left over when their done putting it back together. of course if I start seeing some news reports of guys with Z's being lit on fire at gas stations then maybe I'll do it quicker. but the NHSTA gives you 10 yrs from the date of sale of your car to get the recall done so I've got some time.

also here is some more info on the recall. kinda interesting stuff.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...fsDocId=05V555
Old 03-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Z BOY

35. reprogram all radio station presets.

yah. right.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:24 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
I don't want them using my Z as a test subject and then wondering why they've got some extra parts and screws left over when their done putting it back together. .

also here is some more info on the recall. kinda interesting stuff.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...fsDocId=05V555
Thats why i do my own oil change. Too many screws to lose or left over by those crack service dept oil change "techs".Not to mention their forgetting to put on a new crush washer when re-installing the drain plug.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:40 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by mikerz
as for the recall, I will be very hesitant to let my dealer touch that recall, after reading the fix, unless I see the leak myself. looks like way too much for them to screw up for a hose that "might" leak
I agree with you there. There is no way i'm taking my car in to Nissan for this job. They couldn't even do the "fuel door won't release" TSB without bending my door all out of whack.[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1000
Old 03-05-2006, 07:00 AM
FloridaBoy

Originally Posted by Apexi350z
that looks like a major wrench work.. think I'm gonna pass.. thanks for the post..
Uh, yeah. Here's what happened to the last guy who said that...
(ACTUAL HIGH RESOLUTION IMAGE OF A 350Z)...
http://whyfiles.org/186ed_teller/images/grable.jpg

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 03-06-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:03 AM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sluggoZ
Don't knock all the Service Tech's...the dealership I go to has a fantastic crew. Especially when they see a Z...they always give that extra special effort in making the owner happy.
you're lucky sluggoZ, the techs at the dealership near me are total morons, they wouldnt even order me new tires for my feathering repair extension
Old 03-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy
You're welcome my friend, just got wind of this from a Z owner over on the Consumer Reports forum. I wonder if this includes roadsters or just hard tops...
It includes roadsters Have to take mine in plus my G35 sedan
Old 03-05-2006, 11:00 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

"if it ain't broke don't fix it" .
Old 03-05-2006, 11:02 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstZ
Luckily I feel out of that range with my 2004.5.
I drive a 2004.5 and got the recall notice.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:31 PM
XtaZee

Originally Posted by davidv
I drive a 2004.5 and got the recall notice.
What's yor vehicle production date Davidv? Apparently this recall only affects 2003-2004 350Z's built from April 17, 2002 through November 3, 2003.-

Last edited by XtaZee; 03-05-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:39 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by sluggoZ
Don't knock all the Service Tech's...the dealership I go to has a fantastic crew. Especially when they see a Z...they always give that extra special effort in making the owner happy.
Then will trade my service techs for yours any day. Just be forewarned that they dont work on Z's. They just do oil changes.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:43 PM
tmb

Originally Posted by DAYTONA-ZED
I agree with you there. There is no way i'm taking my car in to Nissan for this job. They couldn't even do the "fuel door won't release" TSB without bending my door all out of whack.

I am not efffected by this recall since I have a 2005 but your comment sure does make me feel good at all about them working on my car.

I have been doing my own oil changes and the car now has ~7000 miles on it but now it is going to the dealer.
1) I need a warranty repair because the drivers side rug gets soaking wet after going through a car wash .
2) There is some kind of required 5000 or 6000 mile service that I am supposed to have done.

This will be the FIRST trip to a Nissan dealer for me ever.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Road Warrior

i think the majority of us owners have all had bad experiences with warranty service...even non-warranty work. in all my years of having vehicles, about 25, i have never had a good job done with my cars except for maybe an oil change. but as someone else mentioned, i would rather do the oil change myself too.

one time they left a wrench in there, and another time they left the oil cap off...and most times, screws were missing and things not tightened down. this was not with my z but with other cars...still my trust level is very low. now i am not saying this for all dealerships, but if anyone in sactown can refer me to a good service department i might start off with an oil change and then make the decision to have this done.

this is by far the most work i will have to have done to date...lots of stuff they can jack up. needless to say, i won't be having this done right away...unless people start blowing up as in one case
Old 03-07-2006, 05:42 AM
gixracer

well my palms are sweating they have my car now at suburban motor collection in farmington hills michigan. the nice thing is after i get it back the the suspension mods will be getting done and i will get to see if there is anything visibly wrong or loose.

please pray for the safe return of my car
Old 03-07-2006, 06:10 AM
TommyBoy76

I don't think I'll be doing mine untill I decide to sell it, which will be a while, but "gixracer", please keep us posted on the recall!!
Old 03-07-2006, 08:26 AM
DAYTONA-ZED

....and most times, screws were missing and things not tightened down.
I hate that.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:55 AM
JapanesePorsche

Darn - I best go check my vin#. RegardingReposting -> if you've read it than skip it, if you've not, than read it. No big deal, but trying to correct this problem w/ the Z recall is, so go see your dealer, for shizzle dizzles.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:10 AM
ANXIOUZ

Originally Posted by ___DJK___
Will nissan give you a loaner for recall work?
No. I think Infiniti dealers give you loaners when you have work done but Nissan dealers don't. You get what you pay for.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:09 PM
showstoppertk

Originally Posted by maximXL
No. I think Infiniti dealers give you loaners when you have work done but Nissan dealers don't. You get what you pay for.
it depends on the dealer. I believe pretty must all infiniti dealers will give you a loaner, although I don't know if they will if you didn't buy the car from that dealer. but with nissan dealers it depends on the dealer policy. some will give loaners some won't.

Quick Reply: Nissan Recall on 52,400 350Z's