Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

rattle in trunk is threatening my sanity

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:14 PM
hyuk28719

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you found where the rattle came from. I'd have to agree that trunk rattle is one of the most annoying things in the world. I'm not sure where you are exactly referring to on "two panels where the trunk closes," but I'd buy some sponge foams, cut it to desired shape, and double side it to one side of the panel.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 PM
bb17

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hyuk28719
Glad you found where the rattle came from. I'd have to agree that trunk rattle is one of the most annoying things in the world. I'm not sure where you are exactly referring to on "two panels where the trunk closes," but I'd buy some sponge foams, cut it to desired shape, and double side it to one side of the panel.
Sorry for the bad description. Basically the surfaces that come together when the trunk closes. i.e., the area to the left and right of the hook that holds the trunk closed.

I guess squares of foam of dynamat should do the job. I'll check out those solutions!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Why did you make a new thread in the incorrect section rather than just posting your question into the said rattle thread?

Old 06-01-2012, 05:05 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not experienced,the trunk rattle.But an annoyance of the Z is noise comming from the trunk and wheel wells.There is very pood insolation overall.Furthermore,due the design,the rear wheel wells are IN the cabin,not in a seperated trunk.I took a "whatever
it takes" approach.Lined the trunk with a combo of Dynamat and roof insolation(This stuff is cheap,works great,has adhesive backing).Also,remember reading a weird post about a guy that stuffed old shirts,towels...anything ya got in your closet you are gonna throw out,in&around the spare tire.His "theory" was that the wheel of the spare acted like a "drum"...resonated sound...strange?Well,gotta say,it worked!
I've been in other Z's.Mine,with my exhaust mods,is the quietist inside.Maybe not
at a g35 level,but pretty mellow.
Who da thought?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:00 PM
bb17

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCITY
I've not experienced,the trunk rattle.But an annoyance of the Z is noise comming from the trunk and wheel wells.There is very pood insolation overall.Furthermore,due the design,the rear wheel wells are IN the cabin,not in a seperated trunk.I took a "whatever
it takes" approach.Lined the trunk with a combo of Dynamat and roof insolation(This stuff is cheap,works great,has adhesive backing).Also,remember reading a weird post about a guy that stuffed old shirts,towels...anything ya got in your closet you are gonna throw out,in&around the spare tire.His "theory" was that the wheel of the spare acted like a "drum"...resonated sound...strange?Well,gotta say,it worked!
I've been in other Z's.Mine,with my exhaust mods,is the quietist inside.Maybe not
at a g35 level,but pretty mellow.
Who da thought?
I'm going to give that a try this weekend!
Old 01-06-2015, 08:31 PM
carnoob

My trunk rattle is coming from the underside of the trunk lid. the closet plastic peice to the left, just left of the rear window, pops out and makes high pitched chirpy bird sounds. I'll take it apart later and see what i can find.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:58 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by carnoob
My trunk rattle is coming from the underside of the trunk lid. the closet plastic peice to the left, just left of the rear window, pops out and makes high pitched chirpy bird sounds. I'll take it apart later and see what i can find.
your name says it all... dead thread revival

Last edited by travlee; 01-07-2015 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:47 AM
carnoob

Originally Posted by travlee
your name says it all... dead thread revival
Doesn't really matter if the thread is old if the information in my post is still useful. Why did you even bother replying with nothing of use? Anyways, this thread will never "die". As time goes on, troubleshooting these rattles will become more and more necessary.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:18 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by carnoob
Doesn't really matter if the thread is old if the information in my post is still useful. Why did you even bother replying with nothing of use? Anyways, this thread will never "die". As time goes on, troubleshooting these rattles will become more and more necessary.
because i can.... and you will learn you will chase the rattles all the time and you will never find them all
Old 01-07-2015, 10:02 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I gave up a long time ago with rattles/noises. I just put louder exhaust on and a louder stereo in. If I hear something rattling I just flex the windshield a bit till my ears start ringing.

No more interior rattles/noises.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:56 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Only solution: All panels off from the rear speaker garnish back. Stick Dynamat Extreme to exposed metal surfaces (at least 60% coverage and plastic mating surfaces). Take panels off the hatch. Add Dynamat Extreme (same deal). Add Dynamat Extreme trunk kit. Add heavy-duty hatch struts if you don't already have them. 75% chance the rattles will disappear (mine did). Lose some weight to make up for the added weight of the Dynamat Extreme (you'll gain it all back, but so what?)
Old 01-07-2015, 06:00 PM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Or put CCF or luxury liner everywhere. Will cut out more road noise than dynamat and will stop the rattles.

It also insulates.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:08 PM
MonkeyMagic72

With all these rattle talks, make me want to change this thread's title to "Rattle snake in trunk..." if I was a mod.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:48 AM
POS VETT

The rattling I have come from the trunk lid springs. These springs create a gap when the lid is released for fingers to lift the trailing edge. These springs are not visible as a coil spring as they have a black rubber boot. They are about an inch or so in diameter.

I can duplicate the noise while the lid is latched by giving it a lateral push. At one point, I tried to make these springs compressed a bit more by adding shims made by several layers of duct tape, but the noise persisted.

I suppose I could take them apart and see but I keep forgetting that since the Z is my wife's daily driver/winter beater and she doesnt seem to mind the noise. I'll update this thread or create a new one if I found a solution other than removing them.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:50 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by POS VETT
The rattling I have come from the trunk lid springs. These springs create a gap when the lid is released for fingers to lift the trailing edge. These springs are not visible as a coil spring as they have a black rubber boot. They are about an inch or so in diameter.

I can duplicate the noise while the lid is latched by giving it a lateral push. At one point, I tried to make these springs compressed a bit more by adding shims made by several layers of duct tape, but the noise persisted.

I suppose I could take them apart and see but I keep forgetting that since the Z is my wife's daily driver/winter beater and she doesnt seem to mind the noise. I'll update this thread or create a new one if I found a solution other than removing them.
take the plastic boot covering the spring off, place a penny in it an put it back over the spring. worked for a while on mine but when the spring breaks they are like $28 each.... me being ocd i had to replace them together
Old 01-09-2015, 07:18 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually replaced my springs and it was still making noise a few years ago

It wasn't until I replaced literally every fastener in the trunk hatch finisher last month did this finally go away after all these years
Old 04-07-2015, 04:03 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

In my case I discovered that the lens for the third brake light came loose. Apparently it is designed to snap assemble. My snaps failed.

I used a silicone glue to re-fasten it. Problem solved.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:35 AM
killermeter

Default rattle in trunk is threatening my sanity

Ok I just bought a 2008 350Z with 46K on it, in excellent shape. When I test drove it, I was on a completely smooth road so no noise, but boy the next morning heading into work " it was like driving around with aluminum cans in the back of the car". So I did a google search for "rattle in the back of 350Z" and was lead to My350Z.com and another thread that talked about the upper shock bushings and replacing them. Today I put in the KYB SM5482 kit on both sides, simple, took about 2 hours total. Lubed everything with white lithium, made a upper "shock to body" gasket out of Felpro gasket material and the noise is COMPLETELY GONE. $30.00 , cant beat that!!
Old 04-26-2015, 01:25 PM
travlee
Master

glad you searched and found this, rare occurrence for most new members. with you having the hr, when the slave goes out (and it more than likely will) replace with the Z speed hd one.

btw, when i was in CO last year , went to the Garden of the Gods in colorado spring.... freaking beautiful. texas is flat and boring
Old 04-26-2015, 03:21 PM
killermeter

Originally Posted by travlee
glad you searched and found this, rare occurrence for most new members. with you having the hr, when the slave goes out (and it more than likely will) replace with the Z speed hd one.

HR? Slave?

btw, when i was in CO last year , went to the Garden of the Gods in colorado spring.... freaking beautiful. texas is flat and boring
And yes GOG is pretty cool, I live just a few minutes from there

Last edited by killermeter; 04-26-2015 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply: rattle in trunk is threatening my sanity