Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

how to clean a nismo intake

Old 08-22-2007, 06:19 AM
Brian-H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to clean a nismo intake

hey everyone, I bought my Z used and it came with a nismo intake, so I don't have the user manual and need to know how to clean this thing. Does it require filter oil? If so, is there some kind of generic oil I can buy at autozone?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Nism0_RoLLa

autozone has the whole kit for cleaning the intake and the instruction is also in there, very easy to do.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Brian-H

cool, I called Nismo and they said the K&N cleaning kit is recommended for it.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:35 AM
optimumarc

I bought my car with a Nismo Intake and no instructions. I will also use the K&N cleaning kit now.

How do you check if is dirty?

I am assuming you have to oil it?

How frequently do you have to clean it?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been running my K@N type filters through the Dishwasher for a number of years now after I blow the heavy stuff off it----It also gives it a head start on the drying prossess.....Dry it 100%. I finish by letting it sit in the sun. If you use a hair dryer..cool, but if you use a heat gun, be careful. Then spray with the lube, and make sure you get it down in the pleats, then let it dry good so it's not tacky-----To do it right, really does take a little time.
If you dont lube it properly, you might a well throw it in the street and run it without a filter. Unless it is properly lubed, it is NOT a filter

Last edited by Eazzy; 09-03-2007 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:14 AM
optimumarc

I just called Nissan they said you should not oil the filter because there is a service bulletin out there. Apparently it causes problems with the sensors.

If you are using K&N should this not cause the same problem? Perhaps the Nismo air filter is not made to be oiled?

Any ideas?
Old 09-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by optimumarc
I just called Nissan they said you should not oil the filter because there is a service bulletin out there. Apparently it causes problems with the sensors.

If you are using K&N should this not cause the same problem? Perhaps the Nismo air filter is not made to be oiled?

Any ideas?
I assumed the Nismo Filter was ..... or... a knock off of the K@N----I cant answer that question for you. But I will repeat---that if it is a K@N design, then no oil will render it useless.
You have to use a little common--hands on, sense when you lube the K@N design----Not too little, and senseless too much.MUST let it DRY

I will say this...I have run the OEM replacement K@N and the Typhoon K@N and the Vortech K@N switched out later to a modded larger RX4140 K@N and have had Zero probs with sensors in 65,000 miles
Old 09-04-2007, 01:01 PM
optimumarc

Yeah, I would assume the same. No oil = useless (since you need the oil to retain the dirt). Apparently that is not case for some strange reason. It is dry filter... It is good to hear that you do not have problems with your K&N. Are you running the Nismo CAI? Why K&N? Is it better? The dealership wants $75 for a new Nismo filter.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Eazzy

If I was running the Nismo ---I could tell you if it needed ro be oiled. Im not so I cant. I would be able to tell by looking at it.

K@N is the original reusable filter, then others followed it's example. Wash,dry,lube,dry,install---repeat as neccessary. I took it for granted the Nismo used the K@N or a Clone.

The K@N/Clones are better for two reasons.......1) Although expensive, they will in time save you money by being able to be reused. 2) They have better flow characteristics if properly maintained.

But I will repeat----If the K@N is not properly lubed, you might as well run no filter because it will not filter----A K@N/Clone is NOT a filter until it is properly lubed.

What makes the NISMO different, I cant answer, I would have to hold one in my hands and look at it. Research and get more opinions...... I suggest you CALL (talk directly to) maybe MIAPLAYA or a dealer here on the forum that deals specifically with Hi Performance NISMO products
Old 09-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by optimumarc

How do you check if is dirty?

How frequently do you have to clean it?
Not to sound like a smart *** but the answer to both questions is ...Look at it.

Where I livt, in the country with dirt roads and dusty conditions theres been times Iv had to clean mine once a week (Not that I do always) On the other hand, in other locations you may not have too but twice a year
Old 09-07-2007, 01:18 PM
bommart

i just buy a new nismo filter every 6-8 months. i feel better putting on a new, clean filter.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Eazzy

Specifications:

Positions Intake Filter outside the engine bay for cooler, denser air
Mandrel-bent tubing maintains consistent inside diameter
Standard bypass valve helps prevent inadvertent water indgestion
Reuseable, one-piece washable air filter
Material: 6061 aluminum, mandrel bent tubing
Powder-coated black finish with NISMO Logo
Benefits:

Provides a more aggressive intake sound over stock system
Greater acceleration

If it's Washable and Reusable, It HAS to be oiled----It's DESIGNED to be oiled
Old 09-19-2007, 02:08 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased a second filter to speed up the process, now I have a clean & oiled filter to go at all times, I store the clean & oiled filter in a LB ziplock bag. I just use the K&N filter recharge kit you get approx 3 cleanings per kit, I also check the filter approx every 2 or 3 months. While I like the aggressive sound the the CAI lets me get cool air since it is located in the drivers fender approx 5 inches off the ground, & best of all not in the engine compartment. The pain in the A$$ is that you have to remove the plastic wheel inner liner, and I also have to remove the front tire